wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

I would love to see Helm's Deep! Not only is it the coolest fortress ever, but it has the best battle there too. I think they would needs to release two separate big sets. You could buy the deeping wall for like $150 and then get the gates and the Hornburg for another $150. Now, I know that seems really expensive, but think of how accurate they could get it if they did that!

I thought there was already another thread on that subject of what we'd like to see... maybe in the dream licenses thread (I'm too lazy to look). I know elander has posted set ideas in threads other than this one.

I would really like to see a hobbit hole from Lego that would be so cool. Also, I would really like to see a good set of minas tirith. I do hope the moderators keep this discussion open as I am a big Lord of the Rings fan and I am really hoping that Lego does release LOTR sets and even if it does not happen I still enjoy the discussion. :classic:

I do hope the moderators keep this discussion open as I am a big Lord of the Rings fan and I am really hoping that Lego does release LOTR sets and even if it does not happen I still enjoy the discussion. :classic:

Haven't they ? :wink:

What does that say....if it was only dreams all our talk would have been merged into the dream license topic right ? :wink:

Anyone remembers when we first saw PoTC sets? It should be similar with LoTR (PoTC was may 2011 and LoTR should be may 2012).

Anyone remembers when we first saw PoTC sets? It should be similar with LoTR (PoTC was may 2011 and LoTR should be may 2012).

Hang on, May sees the releases of Disney branded live action products not really TimeWarners ? :look:

Again, with May....though The Hobbit is meant to be a more child friendly film end of 2012, sets for the earlier films would have to come out way before the new films right ? :wink:

We saw a Jack Sparrow figure riding a camel in Comic Con I think

There were lots of skepticism of it and some like me thought it was just a custom..

But we haven't seen anything from LoTRs yet..

.... I know elander has posted set ideas in threads other than this one.

:blush:

Sounds realistic, but I'm a little surprised. May 2012 is really early -but as ap. :classic::thumbup:

I think we could get 5x waves:

Summer 2012 LotR: The Fellowship of the Ring (first infos/pics at Toy Fair New Jork February 2012)

Winter 2012/13 Hobbit: An unexpected journey

Summer 2013 LotR: The Two Towers

Winter 2013/14 Hobbit: There and back again

Summer 2014 LotR: The Return of the King

I think these 5x waves are really realistic. :sweet:

Sounds realistic, but I'm a little surprised. May 2012 is really early -but as ap. :classic::thumbup:

I think we could get 5x waves:

Summer 2012 LotR: The Fellowship of the Ring (first infos/pics at Toy Fair New Jork February 2012)

Winter 2012/13 Hobbit: An unexpected journey

Summer 2013 LotR: The Two Towers

Winter 2013/14 Hobbit: There and back again

Summer 2014 LotR: The Return of the King

I think these 5x waves are really realistic. :sweet:

I doubt they'll be released by movie. :wink: That's done rarely, if ever. Even Star Wars, while the prequels were being churned out as sets, had original trilogy dotted all throughout that time period.

Edited by CallMePieOrDie

I do not care how the LOTR sets are released as long as I get hobbits, elves, orcs, nazgul, and ents. I would also be really happy if Lego came out with a Bag End set and some sets depicting the huge dwarf underground cities. Some sets on Revendell, Helms Deep, Minas Tirith, Orthanc, and Mordor would be really cool too.

Oh, I hope Lego comes out with LOTR sets and that they do a good job with it like Lego has done with Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

Edited by Jack Bricker

I would consider only three sets for the past movies just like they did for POTC and do more for the Hobbit movie.....just like they did for POTC. :wink:

I would consider only three sets for the past movies just like they did for POTC and do more for the Hobbit movie.....just like they did for POTC. :wink:

No offence, but what a sick thought :sick:

No offence, but what a sick thought :sick:

Yeah, but it's going to happen. If this theme comes to fruition, you guys are being very optimistic about what you'll be getting.

Edited by CallMePieOrDie

Yeah, but it's going to happen. If this theme comes to fruition, you guys are being very optimistic about what you'll be getting.

I am in agreement with this. There are things I would like in a LotR line (not at the expense of Kingdoms/Castle, which sounds like may be the case), except the fleshies. However, there are things TLG is simply not going to make, or make well if they are made. I think Minas Tirith, Minas Morgul, and Barad-Dur completely out of the picture as whole sets. Parts of them (trebuchet from Minas Tirith, burning not-right-with-the-book eye version of Sauron) are possible, but the whole thing just won't happen. Minas Tirith is unlike any LEGO set to date. It is a multi-leveled city. Even if it were stripped down to a castle and not a city, it won't have more than 2 levels and won't look right. At that point, I honestly ask, why bother? Moria could be broken down into several, still fairly large, sets. Likewise with Helm's Deep.

Lengthy explanation of why I feel the license isn't what everyone hopes it will be and thoughts on the idea in general:

The problem is the structures come in basically 2 flavors with very few falling outside those flavors: houses and similar sized, and epic proportioned. Compunding the problem is there are no vehicles. So, what will they realistically make sets of? I mean, there is that roughly movie and a half worth of material where the party (with various compositions) is wandering the wilderness. That will be 1, maybe 2 sets because trees are trees no matter who happens to be fighting amongst them and open plains aren't LEGO set material. A number of the major battles (including the largest that take up a noticeable chunk of RotK) take place on a plain with no buildings between Minas Tirith and Osgiliath.

Look at Star Wars. It gets by entirely on vehicles. They only have to look kind of right, fit a pilot (and with the droids, not even that), and kind of look right in relation to each other. The movies do not feature lengthy scenes where one can compare the ships to the people that pilot them so the person to ship scale is less visually jarring. In LotR, there are many lengthy scenes that emphasize the true scale of the buildings so seeing them way out of scale will be visually jarring. The few SW buildings they do make are usually not all that hot. Just look at the battle of Geonosis, the crowning moment of AotC. No sets actually have any terrain from that moment and only a few sets of vehicles involved have been made. The Battle of Hoth got slightly better treatment, but again it focuses primarily on vehicles. The battle at the Jedi Temple and the battle in the Senate haven't been made at all. If it doesn't feature ships/vehicles it doesn't get much attention, and this is their big cash cow. PotC has few sets because the iconic parts are all pirate ships and they won't release 5 of them at once. That's why we haven't seen the Flying Dutchmen (the only ship that would require more than just putting new colored sails on existing ships and recoloring a few things), Sao Feng's ship, Beckett's ship (which would be the largest they have made if they made it right), etc. The climax of the first Pirates movie was made into a $20 set with 3 figures and a skeleton. There are no Port Royal sets. There are no Tortuga sets. There is no Singapore set. There is no Kraken. There are no battle packs (British Soldiers, Pirates, Cursed Pirates, Dutchmen Pirates, Zombie Pirates, Spanish soldiers, etc). London was condensed into two buildings and two carriages. Then look at Castle. Even it has it's share of vehicles, but it mainly has smaller buildings with one large building a wave. It features siege equipment, something that is somewhat lacking in all but one battle in LotR. In that battle in RotK, siege equipment is embodied by Grond, which would itself be a fairly large set.

Looking at the handling of other licensed lines, I think people are being way too optimistic about what will show up and how it will look. I also believe, and this is based purely in my opinion, that people are overestimating the potential popularity of these. I feel there is no real comparison to Star Wars. Star Wars is a cultural icon that has been seeping into other aspects of the culture for decades. LotR, the books, have been around longer and primarily produced the saying "Frodo Lives" and helped to somewhat shape D&D. The movies are popular, but so were the Transformers and I feel it's a safe bet they won't be influencing modern culture in any measurable way.

I would love to see Grond, the Orcs (no worries about fleshies there, they aren't flesh toned), the Uruks, the Ring Wraiths, the Mumakil, the various evil men working for Sauron, Sauron, the armies of Rohan, etc. The buildings would be great too. I just don't see TLG doing them justice.

I am in agreement with this. There are things I would like in a LotR line (not at the expense of Kingdoms/Castle, which sounds like may be the case), except the fleshies. However, there are things TLG is simply not going to make, or make well if they are made. I think Minas Tirith, Minas Morgul, and Barad-Dur completely out of the picture as whole sets. Parts of them (trebuchet from Minas Tirith, burning not-right-with-the-book eye version of Sauron) are possible, but the whole thing just won't happen. Minas Tirith is unlike any LEGO set to date. It is a multi-leveled city. Even if it were stripped down to a castle and not a city, it won't have more than 2 levels and won't look right. At that point, I honestly ask, why bother? Moria could be broken down into several, still fairly large, sets. Likewise with Helm's Deep.

Lengthy explanation of why I feel the license isn't what everyone hopes it will be and thoughts on the idea in general:

The problem is the structures come in basically 2 flavors with very few falling outside those flavors: houses and similar sized, and epic proportioned. Compunding the problem is there are no vehicles. So, what will they realistically make sets of? I mean, there is that roughly movie and a half worth of material where the party (with various compositions) is wandering the wilderness. That will be 1, maybe 2 sets because trees are trees no matter who happens to be fighting amongst them and open plains aren't LEGO set material. A number of the major battles (including the largest that take up a noticeable chunk of RotK) take place on a plain with no buildings between Minas Tirith and Osgiliath.

Look at Star Wars. It gets by entirely on vehicles. They only have to look kind of right, fit a pilot (and with the droids, not even that), and kind of look right in relation to each other. The movies do not feature lengthy scenes where one can compare the ships to the people that pilot them so the person to ship scale is less visually jarring. In LotR, there are many lengthy scenes that emphasize the true scale of the buildings so seeing them way out of scale will be visually jarring. The few SW buildings they do make are usually not all that hot. Just look at the battle of Geonosis, the crowning moment of AotC. No sets actually have any terrain from that moment and only a few sets of vehicles involved have been made. The Battle of Hoth got slightly better treatment, but again it focuses primarily on vehicles. The battle at the Jedi Temple and the battle in the Senate haven't been made at all. If it doesn't feature ships/vehicles it doesn't get much attention, and this is their big cash cow. PotC has few sets because the iconic parts are all pirate ships and they won't release 5 of them at once. That's why we haven't seen the Flying Dutchmen (the only ship that would require more than just putting new colored sails on existing ships and recoloring a few things), Sao Feng's ship, Beckett's ship (which would be the largest they have made if they made it right), etc. The climax of the first Pirates movie was made into a $20 set with 3 figures and a skeleton. There are no Port Royal sets. There are no Tortuga sets. There is no Singapore set. There is no Kraken. There are no battle packs (British Soldiers, Pirates, Cursed Pirates, Dutchmen Pirates, Zombie Pirates, Spanish soldiers, etc). London was condensed into two buildings and two carriages. Then look at Castle. Even it has it's share of vehicles, but it mainly has smaller buildings with one large building a wave. It features siege equipment, something that is somewhat lacking in all but one battle in LotR. In that battle in RotK, siege equipment is embodied by Grond, which would itself be a fairly large set.

Looking at the handling of other licensed lines, I think people are being way too optimistic about what will show up and how it will look. I also believe, and this is based purely in my opinion, that people are overestimating the potential popularity of these. I feel there is no real comparison to Star Wars. Star Wars is a cultural icon that has been seeping into other aspects of the culture for decades. LotR, the books, have been around longer and primarily produced the saying "Frodo Lives" and helped to somewhat shape D&D. The movies are popular, but so were the Transformers and I feel it's a safe bet they won't be influencing modern culture in any measurable way.

I would love to see Grond, the Orcs (no worries about fleshies there, they aren't flesh toned), the Uruks, the Ring Wraiths, the Mumakil, the various evil men working for Sauron, Sauron, the armies of Rohan, etc. The buildings would be great too. I just don't see TLG doing them justice.

I completely disagree with everything you said. The reason that Star Wars has focused so much on vehicles is because the whole Franchise revolves around space ships, death star, etc... Also, I would like to point out the battle of alamut was, although not successful because of the POP movie, a pretty good attempt at making a large fortress. And do not forget that Lego has a lot of experience in making large castles and medieval buildings. I think that Lego could do a good job and I know that if Lego does I and many others will probably buy at least one, if not several, of every set. :classic:

Edited by Jack Bricker

I completely disagree with everything you said. The reason that Star Wars has focused so much on vehicles is because the whole Franchise revolves around space ships, death star, etc... Also, I would like to point out the battle of alamut was, although not successful because of the POP movie, a pretty good attempt at making a large fortress. And do not forget that Lego has a lot of experience in making large castles and medieval buildings. I think that Lego could do a good job and I know that if Lego does I and many others will probably buy at least one, if not several, of every set. :classic:

I agree, I think that if Lego are to create a LOTR theme, they'll only do so if they can do it justice. Just the thought of figures and lots of cool pieces is enough for me. I love some of the unusual colours and pieces that have become availabl from the POP sets.

Yes, but Lego ain't going to release that many sets in the size of 7573 Battle of Alamut in one single theme. Probably not more then one or two per year. So I think we would see a lot of places scaled down quite a bit. e.g. a Hems deep might not be more than a piece of the wall and a two or three minifigs per side.

Actually the main reason the SW is based largely around vehicles is because it's a boys toy and boys love cars, trains and planes.

We've discussed this before and I mentioned then that even Batman is based largely around vehicles and the odd large playset. That is LEGO m.o

Yeah, but look at the Battle of Alamut. An entire fortress/city shrunk into an $80 set. I like the set, I have 3 of them, but it isn't really a good representation of what it is supposed to be representing. I also wouldn't say LEGO has a lot of experiences with large castles. The ones they have made thus far, as much as I like them (and I do like them a lot), are nowhere near the scale of larger buildings in LotR. Maybe Cirith Ungal, the smallest fortress we see in the movies, is close to them. Even Helm's Deep, which for all intents and purposes is a keep, a ramp, and a long wall, is above and beyond any LEGO castle to date. Meduseld is about the speed LEGO has been operating at. There's nothing at all wrong with that, for what LEGO has been trying to make so far (and I hope they keep making those sets and I will keep buying them), but that isn't the scope of LotR.

As for selling, sure some of them would sell. I don't doubt that for a moment. I would probably buy several, and multiples of at least a few. I have multiples of all the PoP sets, so why not multiple LotR sets too? It just won't sell like SW (which in and of itself is not a problem, there is only one SW which has 6 movies that get "updates" every now and then and has constant new material to work with), which means the waves would be limited. Either in their size, or in their number. That means not many gigantic sets, which as I said, really doesn't leave a whole lot that would sell in huge numbers.

As for vehicles, just look at City. We get fire departments every 2-3 years but the only buildings that could be burning down are police departments and other fire departments with the occasional airport (so everyone can leave a city that needs so many police) and hospital (for the burn victims). Cars and vehicles everywhere though. Who knows where anyone lives or where they are going? All kinds of construction vehicles though. Makes me wonder what they are building. Probably new fire departments. :wink:

I'm not trying to knock TLG. I really like the sets they make for their lines and some of the licensed sets. I'm just saying we need to face reality and recognize their habits when it comes to what gets made into a set and what doesn't, and how it ends up looking. I'm sure I will buy them just like everyone here, but they won't be what they could be.

Yes, but Lego ain't going to release that many sets in the size of 7573 Battle of Alamut in one single theme. Probably not more then one or two per year. So I think we would see a lot of places scaled down quite a bit. e.g. a Hems deep might not be more than a piece of the wall and a two or three minifigs per side.

Exactly. To be clear, if they make a LotR I would buy sets and I would want it to work. I just don't see how it will be what everyone seems to hope it will be based on how they have handled past themes and licenes. A lot of things in the movie are in a truly epic scale. That's hard to do and not cost a small fortune.

Yeah, but look at the Battle of Alamut. An entire fortress/city shrunk into an $80 set. I like the set, I have 3 of them, but it isn't really a good representation of what it is supposed to be representing. I also wouldn't say LEGO has a lot of experiences with large castles. The ones they have made thus far, as much as I like them (and I do like them a lot), are nowhere near the scale of larger buildings in LotR. Maybe Cirith Ungal, the smallest fortress we see in the movies, is close to them. Even Helm's Deep, which for all intents and purposes is a keep, a ramp, and a long wall, is above and beyond any LEGO castle to date. Meduseld is about the speed LEGO has been operating at. There's nothing at all wrong with that, for what LEGO has been trying to make so far (and I hope they keep making those sets and I will keep buying them), but that isn't the scope of LotR.

As for selling, sure some of them would sell. I don't doubt that for a moment. I would probably buy several, and multiples of at least a few. I have multiples of all the PoP sets, so why not multiple LotR sets too? It just won't sell like SW (which in and of itself is not a problem, there is only one SW which has 6 movies that get "updates" every now and then and has constant new material to work with), which means the waves would be limited. Either in their size, or in their number. That means not many gigantic sets, which as I said, really doesn't leave a whole lot that would sell in huge numbers.

As for vehicles, just look at City. We get fire departments every 2-3 years but the only buildings that could be burning down are police departments and other fire departments with the occasional airport (so everyone can leave a city that needs so many police) and hospital (for the burn victims). Cars and vehicles everywhere though. Who knows where anyone lives or where they are going? All kinds of construction vehicles though. Makes me wonder what they are building. Probably new fire departments. :wink:

I'm not trying to knock TLG. I really like the sets they make for their lines and some of the licensed sets. I'm just saying we need to face reality and recognize their habits when it comes to what gets made into a set and what doesn't, and how it ends up looking. I'm sure I will buy them just like everyone here, but they won't be what they could be.

Exactly. To be clear, if they make a LotR I would buy sets and I would want it to work. I just don't see how it will be what everyone seems to hope it will be based on how they have handled past themes and licenes. A lot of things in the movie are in a truly epic scale. That's hard to do and not cost a small fortune.

Ok, I agree with all of that, but I still am pretty optimistic about Lego LOTR. I have always thought that a license for LOTR is not going to be filled with UCS level sets but, I could see Lego making a decent Bag End set with the 13 dwarfs and I could see Lego making a 12 inch high Orthanc tower, which is a typical hight for Lego towers and I could see Lego maybe releasing a UCS level scaled down Helms Deep or Minas Tirith. I am not saying that Lego is going to make exact replicas of all of the LOTR locations and scenes but, I can see Lego making all of the different characters in LOTR and I can see Lego making scaled down sets of important parts of middle earth.

One think that really bugged me about POTC was that Lego did not even try to come out with sets from some of the better scenes of the movie like Lego did not come out with a pirate lords meeting set with at least some of the different pirate lords, they did not come out with jacks rum cache island, lego could have done a lot better on the Black Pearl and some of the sets Lego did release like the windmill and london escape were frankly quite lame. Hopefully Lego will do a better job with LOTR and I think they could make a few scaled-down tower sets of Orthanc, Barad Dur, etc... for like $20-30 and I think that Lego could do a decent Helms Deep set, similar looking to Lego set 6081 Kings Mountain Fortress for $80, and I think that Lego could make a decent looking Minas Tirith for $150. All I am saying is I think it is possible for Lego to do a decent job on LOTR if they come out with those sets and I think that the sets if done right would probably sell pretty decently.

Edited by Jack Bricker

I don't think TLG would produce Barad Dur. No part of the storyline takes place there, so there would be no reason for TLG to create the set and face the wrath of the fans who would be disappointed by the inevitable non-epicness of it.

Isengard and Helm's Deep, could be done in LEGO scale, I think.

- As Tyrant mentioned, Helm's Deep is basically a keep, a ramp and a long wall, which could be done on a 32x32 baseplate (if TLG decides to use baseplates).

- Orthanc could be just 3-4 stories high, as the height of the tower isn't all that important to the story.

- Rivendell, a house or two, a bridge over a river, and an open area for the Jewelry Jamboree.

- Lorien, a big treewith a platform, maybe 1 or 2 smaller trees.

- Mount Doom would just be a vignette with Frodo, Sam ad Gollum on a ledge over a pool of lava.

Minas Tirith might be tough, I wouldn't expect TLG to do the whole city. The lighting of the beacon scene, sure. Meeting with Denethor in the throne room (with courtyard with withered tree), maybe, if the lisence lasts. A segment of the outer/1st wall, with an orcish catapult, siege tower or even just orcs climbing a ladder, could be - maybe as part of a Pelennor set, with a mumak and Rohirrim thrown in.

For The Hobbit, a corner of Lake Town, for example. I can't think of any other Hobbit passage which would merit a large set. I doubt we would see all 13 dwarves, but who knows?

The key, I would say, is to think small.

Ok, I agree with all of that, but I still am pretty optimistic about Lego LOTR. I have always thought that a license for LOTR is not going to be filled with UCS level sets but, I could see Lego making a decent Bag End set with the 13 dwarfs and I could see Lego making a 12 inch high Orthanc tower, which is a typical hight for Lego towers and I could see Lego maybe releasing a UCS level scaled down Helms Deep or Minas Tirith. I am not saying that Lego is going to make exact replicas of all of the LOTR locations and scenes but, I can see Lego making all of the different characters in LOTR and I can see Lego making scaled down sets of important parts of middle earth.

I think Orthanc could be made and not be super expensive. It is more or less just a black tower. I think Cirith Ungol is the upper end of what could be made that won't look really scaled down. I also think Helm's Deep could be made, scaled down. To be clear, I know any set won't actually be in scale with the figures. What I mean is looking even smaller proportioned than sets normally look. At that scale, I think some things just won't look right.

One think that really bugged me about POTC was that Lego did not even try to come out with sets from some of the better scenes of the movie like Lego did not come out with a pirate lords meeting set with at least some of the different pirate lords, they did not come out with jacks rum cache island, lego could have done a lot better on the Black Pearl and some of the sets Lego did release like the windmill and london escape were frankly quite lame.

That's what I am talking about. You have to consider what those scenes had (and didn't have) in them as opposed to the scenes that were actually made. Like your Pirate Lord meeting in Shipwreck Cove. It's just a group of people sitting around a table. Sure, it would be great for figure potential, but where is the action? That's why I have my doubts about a number of the non epic battle scenes getting any coverage in LotR. The sets have to have a hook. Dude's sitting in a circle discussing the fate of a ring doesn't really jump off the shelf. And again, to be clear, I would buy both of those sets (even with my dislike of fleshies) for the figures alone.

Hopefully Lego will do a better job with LOTR and I think they could make a few scaled-down tower sets of Orthanc, Barad Dur, etc... for like $20-30 and I think that Lego could do a decent Helms Deep set, similar looking to Lego set 6081 Kings Mountain Fortress for $80, and I think that Lego could make a decent looking Minas Tirith for $150. All I am saying is I think it is possible for Lego to do a decent job on LOTR if they come out with those sets and I think that the sets if done right would probably sell pretty decently.

Well, anything is possible. I think some things are unlikely, but I am hopeful that if this does come to pass that they make the most of it. Who knows, maybe this is where the mini or the midi scale will shine. In those scales, Minas Tirith is possible.

The key, I would say, is to think small.

Quote Think Big, Play small Micromachines. Un-quote Oh, yeah this is Lego.

Yeah, I would think that is probably what Lego is going to do and if Lego does it right I think the sets would be rather neat. I could also seeing Lego perhaps doing a UCS set for LOTR and what ever they do I am sure it will be cool. :classic:

Yeah, I would think that is probably what Lego is going to do and if Lego does it right I think the sets would be rather neat. I could also seeing Lego perhaps doing a UCS set for LOTR and what ever they do I am sure it will be cool. :classic:

Quite true in some respects, say something the size of Diagon Alley for HP maybe ? :wink:

I don't see why TLG would consider a UCS stye set for a line with zero sales history.

The HP line had years and years of sales before getting Diagon Alley.