legomilk

Lego Polar Xxpress 2013

"Polar Expedition" would be a far better and more accurate name.

LEGOLAND Billund has a brand new rollercoaster ride called.... 'Polar Expedition'.

LEGOLAND Billund has a brand new rollercoaster ride called.... 'Polar Expedition'.

Dun dun dun! Is that a plot thickening in the distance?

Anyhow, I welcome anything that would bring us new arctic expedition gear and the associated animals.

And there's a sudden revelation dawning on me: This for once seems like a theme with almost ZERO potential for lime green parts, and hell I'm sick of that colour all over all places... Perhaps we'll get some nice (light) blue hues, just like that "Agents" arctic wave had. I'd welcome that for once!

Be well!

Cutty

Keep in mind that, this early on, the name could easily change. "Space Police" was originally "Galaxy Patrol". There are other instances of name-changes too, I just can't recall them. The theme could very well be called "Polar Xxpress" but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it changed before release.

I would love some more light-blue colors, actually, I loved the Arctic Alpha Team wave to death. Would be awesome to see some more of that.

Edited by Algernon

Here's a POV of the new ride.

I really hope that this expands into a new theme, the Polar themed sets have always interested me but I never got a chance to get any.

With all the new peices and designs we've seen in sets, it will be interesting to see what they can come up with for a new polar/arctic theme.

Also that ride looks pretty good considering it's for kids :thumbup: Really want to ride that now!

Edited by The Yellow Brick

If it actually contained a mini-roller coaster it would be :devil: but probably more like wishful thinking.

Ha! I feel even more confident that'll be the title of the theme then.

Keep in mind that, this early on, the name could easily change. "Space Police" was originally "Galaxy Patrol". There are other instances of name-changes too, I just can't recall them. The theme could very well be called "Polar Xxpress" but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it changed before release.

It could've always been Polar Expedition too though, and it's legomilk's source who just got it wrong or misremembered it. Express, Expedition.. I could definitely see how that could get mixed up. It doesn't really make sense for such a theme to be called Polar Express either, especially not when (as I mentioned before) there's a famous book/movie with that name. Neither LEGO nor Warner Bros would want to create any chance of mix-ups or misunderstandings.

Right. I can tell you for a fact: The Polar Explorer is AWESOME. Great fun, I plan on taking at least 5 rides on it tomorrow. The entire area is pretty nice as themed sections go. There is one other ride I didn't get a chance to try out but everything from landsculptures to staff uniform are pretty much perfect. (I want one of their coats, I think I'll be hinting that a lot) The large LEGO models of arctic rangers/explorers are nice designs and there were skidoos and snow dogs. If a theme is coming of this I for one am exuberent!

:sweet:

Sounds like Alpha Team to me. :sadnew:

I am confused, is this a bad thing?

Peppermint_M @ EB Event 2012!

I actually hope it will be in the style of Adventurers or PQ.

If not, I would prefer something more like the Arctic theme than Alpha team, since I think it gives more opportunities for new animals and new scientific-type parts, whereas an action-theme would be more vehicle and combat oriented.

Ha! I feel even more confident that'll be the title of the theme then.

It could've always been Polar Expedition too though, and it's legomilk's source who just got it wrong or misremembered it. Express, Expedition.. I could definitely see how that could get mixed up. It doesn't really make sense for such a theme to be called Polar Express either, especially not when (as I mentioned before) there's a famous book/movie with that name. Neither LEGO nor Warner Bros would want to create any chance of mix-ups or misunderstandings.

Actually, it would seem that the Legoland ride is called "POLAR X-PLORER", not Polar Express/Xpress or Expedition.

If you look at the sign in the first photo on this page it would seem that the main colour of the theme is going to be orange as well.

Of course, it could be entirely unrelated, but if there really is a polar theme coming out next year it'd be very strange if it didn't match with the already existing ride.

Sounds like Alpha Team to me. :sadnew:

Alpha team was great! I personally prefer it to Agents, although that theme was great too.

This suggested or rumoured new theme sounds interesting, first thing that came to my mind.....train, then I thought polar rescue, then good guys fighting an evil doctor trying to melt the polar ice caps.....then again I thought of something like Ice Road Truckers...yet again I might not be even close with any of them.

I guess we will have to wait until later in the year.....you know Lego might just be reading what we write here to get fresh ideas ! :wink:

I guess we should have seen this coming with the new hood and bear molds. Sounds interesting to me. I bet it will be like the Arctic theme, with a team of explorers searching for treasures in the arctic. Sort of like a winter-themed Power Miners, but with polar bears and maybe even yetis instead of rock monsters. And yes, Polar Expedition would make much more sense than Polar Express.

Looking forward to the first pictures.

Hmmm, sounds interesting. I loved the original Arctic theme, but I didn't like the snowy Alpha Team.

Actually, it would seem that the Legoland ride is called "POLAR X-PLORER", not Polar Express/Xpress or Expedition.

If you look at the sign in the first photo on this page it would seem that the main colour of the theme is going to be orange as well.

Of course, it could be entirely unrelated, but if there really is a polar theme coming out next year it'd be very strange if it didn't match with the already existing ride.

I know nothing about the ride but that is the snowmobile from the original Arctic theme, so I doubt it has anything to do with the upcoming theme.

1. New Polar action theme. :moar: :moar:

2. Just because it has a "Research Team" does not mean that it will be different from any other action theme. Mars Mission was a "Mining team" until the alians attacked. (Likely propaganda, though. Who mines with high-powered weapons? :laugh: At least the Power Miners fought with explosives, water, other mining tools.)

3. Orange is a good color for a Polar theme, and is likely to be the official one. (No theme since MM has used orange as a predominant color (PM was more lime than orange). Also, remember that AC was originally to be orange. This was scrapped, so they could have made another theme with an orange base; obviously they are not against it.)

4. For the baddies, perhaps Minifig-scale Yeti? Or maybe: Un-frozen Aliens.

5. Perhaps the team is not researching, but searching for something. Something under the ice. (On Stargate SG-1 Atlantis was found under the ice.) Something such as this could work, as it is very much what TLG would do. For the aliens, perhaps they could have standard heads, new helmets, and two-sided heads: one frozen, the other unfrozen. The head and torso designs could resemble the way the characters looked in the Doctor Who episode "Amy's Choice": ice crystals on their faces.

I seriously thought by Polar Xxpress, he meant the train from the movie. Now I'm not so impressed.

So did I. :tongue:

Here's a POV of the new ride.

I really hope that this expands into a new theme, the Polar themed sets have always interested me but I never got a chance to get any.

With all the new peices and designs we've seen in sets, it will be interesting to see what they can come up with for a new polar/arctic theme.

*snip*

Also that ride looks pretty good considering it's for kids :thumbup: Really want to ride that now!

Holy back from the dead, Batman! I haven't seen you post in awhile. Good to see you back and I hope you have a City layout update for us. :grin:

(I haven't checked Town yet).

I don't want to get my sights set too high. Given the current track record of action themes, were only going to see one wave. That's not to say I won't like or buy probably every set they put out. I hope we see a dog sled. :excited:

Hmm It'll be interesting to see what they come up with. The fact research was specified, we will most likely get a few science based sets (Mobile Centre, some kind of compound similar to the Arctic set in the first page), would be kind of cool to see a Sci Fi edge to it, just to make up for the lack of upcoming original space theme

Yeah! where getting a new train set! :wacko:

PolarExpressPG-14-15.jpg

I'm going to go out on a limb and make a prediction: 2012 will see the introduction of some ice-related theme. The reasoning for this is that, as of 2011, the only significant setting introduced during the "dark ages" of lego that has not seen a sucessor in the current age is the Arctic theme. Practically every other major non-licensed theme (Rock Raiders, Ninjas, Divers, Alpha Team, Adventurers, UFO) has returned in some form in the last five or six years, sometimes more than once. Still, this is really just a wild guess more than anything, so I'm not particularly betting on it.

Well, I was one year off, but still, it's nice to know my prediction actually is coming true. :wink: Even better, judging by Legomilk's description it sounds like it might actually be leaning towards realism instead of being a monster and weapon filled extravaganza. Only time will tell, though.

. . . leaning towards realism instead of being a monster and weapon filled extravaganza.

I highly doubt that this will be the case. City (and perhaps Kingdoms) have been the only realistic themes in a while. It works (as TLG is still in business), so why change it?

I highly doubt that this will be the case. City (and perhaps Kingdoms) have been the only realistic themes in a while. It works (as TLG is still in business), so why change it?

Maybe they could be making it more "realistic", as a sort of test run. What I mean is, we've had a lot of action/conflict themes and we've still got Ninjago, so maybe TLG will try a more realistic idea.

Conflict sells.

Kids like to roleplay it and then they will buy the sets. Even if it's Police vs Crooks, Firefighters Vs Raging Inferno or something more wackey like B-Movie monsters vs Cyborg Experts.