REVIEW: 30165 Hawkeye with Equipment

Number: 30165

Name: Hawkeye with Equipment

Theme: Super Heroes

Year: 2012

Minifigures: 1

Pieces: 20 + 2 extra

Price: ?

It’s not often Sweden gets something first, so I thought I’d do a little review since we apparently got this polybag before anyone else.

Haven’t done this before so hopefully I’m not breaking any reviewing rules.

30165-review-01-bag.jpg

Comes in a standard polybag, and has a tiny fold-out instructions booklet. As you can see by the instructions below, it's a very simple build.

30165-review-02-instructions.jpg

Even though it's a really tiny set, it still manages to come with a few interesting pieces. Of course you get the new, modern-style bow but it also includes the new round candy-like tiles and a pair of light bley binoculars, which have only appeared in about a dozen other sets so far. The light bley binoculars were also a total surprise since the polybag makes it look like they're dark bley.

30165-review-03-pieces.jpg

Here's a look at Hawkeye. Exact same minifigure as in the other sets he appears in, so nothing new here. I don't get why LEGO put such a light brown (almost ginger) and slicked-back hairpiece on him, but other than that it's a good-looking minifigure. One good thing about him is that he’s not as distinct-looking as his more famous Avenger pals, so you could easily use his torso and legs for something else if you wanted to. The black gloved hand is a really nice added touch also.

30165-review-04-minifigure.jpg30165-review-05-minifigure.jpg

Onto his equipment rack. A very simple build, but I think it looks quite nice and all the pieces are highly useful too if you want to use them for something else. You get three dark blue 1x2 tiles, three different types of bricks/plates with grips as well as those nice round orange tiles that you just want to put in your mouth. And on top of that you get a good assortment of accessories!

30165-review-06-equip.jpg

Here's an angled view so you can get a better look at the amazing red fire extinguisher.

30165-review-07-equip.jpg

And here's the whole set. I can imagine this would be an ideal polybag to get if you own the Hulk's Helicarrier Breakout set and want to add a bit more detail to it.

30165-review-08-full.jpg

Here's an alternate build of the equipment rack I did so I could put Hawkeye's bow on there for when he's out fighting all the fires that seem to break out everywhere and all the time in the Avengers universe (really, what's with all the red fire extinguishers, LEGO?).

30165-review-09-alternate.jpg

A non-Avenger use for the rack would be to pair it with the new Galaxy Patrol collectable minifigure. The dark blue colours aren't the exact same though (the Galaxy Patrol is a bit deeper blue) but they still look pretty good together.

30165-review-09-alternate2.jpg

Last but not least, here are the extra pieces. One orange candy and one extra pair of handcuffs. Not bad for such a tiny set!

30165-review-10-extras.jpg

And now, the verdict:

Design & Build: 6

Nothing amazing, but it looks nice with that dark blue and those transparent orange lights.

Parts: 9

It's got 20 pieces but they're all really useful and some of them are even rather uncommon.

Minifigure(s): 7

Hawkeye can't compete with the likes of Thor, Iron Man and Captain America, but it's still a nice minifigure.

Playability: 5

You do get quite a few accessories, but you really do need something or someone else to make it a truly playable set.

Overall: 8

Useful pieces, nice minifigure. A very solid polybag set, if you ask me.

Edited by Graysmith

Good review. I hope I can find this polybag set on Bricklink; I think it is quite good for such a tiny set. And on your comment about Hawkeye's hair, I agree completely. His hair was brown, and not so slicked back.

This is a really cool little set; I hope I can find it somewhere in my neck of the woods. I'll probably want to Bricklink the Sleepyhead hair for Hawkeye though.

I'm going to go see The Avengers today and I fully expect at least two scenes of someone putting out a fire. :tongue:

Good review for a good set. I hope LEGO will find some way to release it in the UK so I can get hold of it without Bricklinking.

Good little set. Thanks for the review! I wonder why LEGO decided to go with 1) the hair since it is clearly not a good representation, and 2) the face with the glasses :look: But overall cool little set!

Edited by Iron-Man

I'm loving the marvel polybags. It would have been better if Black Widow was included instead of Hawkeye but it's still cool. Shane that all polybags have to go though newspapers here in England.

Good review for a good set. I hope LEGO will find some way to release it in the UK so I can get hold of it without Bricklinking.

Ditto, that would be better than ordering via BrickLink.

Nice review! This is a nice little set, but what is with all of the fire extinguishers in the Avnegers sets?

Nice review! This is a nice little set, but what is with all of the fire extinguishers in the Avnegers sets?

Maybe Smokey the Bear is secretly a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent?

Nice review, 'Graysmith'! :sweet:

I've been looking forward to this cheap way to get another Hawkeye. Where did you get this at?

Easy. Those aren't fire extinguishers. They're ketchup dispensers.

Thanks for the excellent review! I can't believe this set is already out :classic: can't wait to pick it up for a new hawkeye, mine had a crack in the side :cry_sad: did they have the Thor and quinjet one where you got this? :sweet:

I'm really glad LEGO's coming out with these, it seems that they're aware of how many people just want to collect the figs. Hopefully, I can get my hands up a bunch of these. :thumbup: Thanks for your review. :classic:

Very nice. However, I'm wondering how you've obtained this. The price is "?" so I am wondering if its a promo of some sort.

This bag comes with this week's edition of the Danish Donald Duck Magazine. Just recieved it in the mail.

and in Sweden it comes with "Kalle Anka & Co" which means Donald duck magazine.

ALmost every week you have a different toy in the magazine.

it is the 4th time in a few months they get a lego polybag in it.

Great review 'Graysmith', handy parts pack...useful accessories, sweet compound bow :grin: and trans-orange round 1x1 tiles ! :wub:

Nice to see the equipment rack can be used by other heroes eh ? :wink:

I wonder if these will ever make an appearance down under ? :wink: (one can always hope :blush: )

Where did you get this at?

did they have the Thor and quinjet one where you got this? :sweet:

However, I'm wondering how you've obtained this. The price is "?" so I am wondering if its a promo of some sort.

Like a few others have already mentioned, it's currently being included with purchase of a popular weekly children's comic book here in Sweden (and Denmark too apparently). No idea if any future issues will include other Avengers polybags, but I certainly hope so!

Anyway, that's why I listed the price as ? since it didn't seem right to list the comic book's price.

Whoa! This for once looks like a nice little polybag set. The equipment wall is nothing to write home about, but it's still a very efficient way to get that awesome Hawkeye figure. Hopefully a toystore in a neighbouring town will get either this or that Monster Fighters ghost polybag (or preferably both!).

That hairpiece and bow would be a nice addition for my Castle-collection. Heck, even the torso and leg prints could be useful and shoehorned somewhere into my Castle setup!

Thank you for that excellent review!

Be well!

Cutty

When I saw that this minifig polybag came with the Donald Duck magazine (kalle anka) I had to go search the stores here in the city I live and when it wasn´t the latest number of the issue I didn´t find it in the first store I searched. But in one store they had 3 magazines of that number left, so I bought them. :)

Maybe not the right place when this is the Hawkeye polybag review but when someone brought up the case off Lego products been included with comics, now the swedish Micky Mouse magazine has the Jack Sparrow 30133 polybag included in the newest issue :tongue:

Edited by Mencot

It sounds like this polybag is only available outside the US right now. I have to wonder if that has something to do with Hasbro and/or the rights to produce action figures. Is it possible that the action figure issue is different internationally?

Just for comparison, the recent Batman jetski polybag was at least a set of some kind, while this is really a figure with and accessories rack. Just makes me wonder how these items get allocated.

Very nice review, by the way.