Jameson42

Frank Lloyd Wright's Thomas P Hardy House

indexed.gif B-RV-15B

Hello everyone! I've just completed my largest model yet: a scale version (approximately 1ft to 1 stud) of Frank Lloyd Wright's "Thomas P. Hardy House". This is a house in Racine, WI, built in 1905 for the mayor of Racine, built in the Prairie School.

It measures 128 by 112 studs. Quite a transportation challenge! This is actually my second attempt at this house - my first try did not have an accurate backside, and was all one piece. This newer version has an accurate slope in the back yard (the real house is on a hill overlooking Lake Michigan), and is modular for easy transport - It separates into 14 pieces, plus the 14 trees, lamppost, and telephone pole.

The fall leaves are from the Alt Bricks store on Bricklink. I think they're quite striking!

7005944940_f6995aa78c_z.jpg

7005942778_e327f58df9_z.jpg

7152028501_da204d8677_z.jpg

7152026209_045b7d4a22_z.jpg

7005934416_3d1aa55c3c_z.jpg

If you want a chance to see it in person, I've currently got 2 shows planned for it:

• KLUG has a show at the Kenosha Public Library Southwest branch, May 19-20.
  • Brickworld Chicago 2012, with the KLUG group tables.

The wonderfully bright lights are by fellow KLUG member John Wolfe.

Oh my...the hill alone is quite the feat. The house is remarkable. Those trees are awesome. Amazing job building this monster. I'm not familiar with the house, but a quick Google search helped remedy that. A job well done is in order. The attention to detail in not only the house, but the surrounding area as well is great. I really like the roof.

Beautiful creation :wub: 'Jameson42', that hill must have been a challenge eh ? :wink:

The lighting sets it off totally ! :grin:

Saw this on Flickr yesterday, and I'm very impressed. It's enormous! And looks lovely, as well. How many parts?

Oh my...the hill alone is quite the feat. The house is remarkable. Those trees are awesome. Amazing job building this monster. I'm not familiar with the house, but a quick Google search helped remedy that. A job well done is in order. The attention to detail in not only the house, but the surrounding area as well is great. I really like the roof.

Beautiful creation :wub: 'Jameson42', that hill must have been a challenge eh ? :wink:

The lighting sets it off totally ! :grin:

I found the hill rather fun to build. LOTS of parts in it though, and the interior support was a challenge. I ended up using different support structure for each of the 3 hill sections, as I kept finding better ways to do it. I'm very thankful for Hinckley's landscaping presentation at Brickworld 2011, it was very helpful.

Saw this on Flickr yesterday, and I'm very impressed. It's enormous! And looks lovely, as well. How many parts?

The roof alone I've estimated at around 2000 pieces... it's mostly 1x4 tile and 2x4 plate. The build as a whole is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 20,000 parts.

Amazing build, I've always liked the prarie style of buildings. :blush: This one looks great, and, it may be blasphemous, but I think this looks better than the robie house set! :grin: All-around awesome!

that build is amazing, I am so glad to see you are bringing it to brickworld I am looking forward to seeing it. I really like the front look of it, the back is amazing of course but the details in the front with the power pole, the lights, and the sidewalk, very realistic, great job!

Wonderful creation! I very much liked the first version (especially that great outside shot), but I like this version even better. Great job on this! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Amazing build, I've always liked the prarie style of buildings. :blush: This one looks great, and, it may be blasphemous, but I think this looks better than the robie house set! :grin: All-around awesome!

Better than Robie? Oh my!

I've passed by the real Hardy House a number of times, but I never actually liked it until I built it... it's very boring from the street, in a little disrepair, and you can't see the backside because it's up against Lake Michigan. I started this project largely as an exercise in scale building and to build a "local" model for KLUG shows. Now after building it, I've fallen in love with it! It's just so more interesting than it appears from the outset.default_wubnew.gif

The real house had some remodeling done in 1941 by one of Wright's students... I've modeled this after what the house looked like before the remodel. In current photos of the house, you won't see the gates on the front entryways, and the back terrace is a little different.

that build is amazing, I am so glad to see you are bringing it to brickworld I am looking forward to seeing it. I really like the front look of it, the back is amazing of course but the details in the front with the power pole, the lights, and the sidewalk, very realistic, great job!

The power pole was a very late addition, I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Wonderful creation! I very much liked the first version (especially that great outside shot), but I like this version even better. Great job on this! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thank you! I might take another outside shot at some point... The model setup take a little longer than it used to though thanks to it being multiple pieces now. default_sceptic.gif

I've got a treat for you guys... a few more photos of the house here.

Being someone who has an interest in architecture and Frank Lloyd Wright, I have to say that you really captured the details of this house very well. :classic:

It was great to see this finished at Brickworld. I wish they had an Architecture category, you would have definitely won that one.