Sign in to follow this  
ZCerberus

Challenge 3: The Keeper's Tomb

The building pulled off perfectly that 'Tifa Final Fantasy' church ruins look. Great job! :D

I do like sourcing material for builds from movies and games (like the trebuchet on the Great Gatehouse of Albion was taken from Minas Tirith in LotR) but perhaps surprisingly, I am not a big RPG gamer and I have never played final fantasy. I googled final fantasy churches after your (that would bea collective 'your' I guess :wink: ) comment and found a few shots that do sort of have the same vibe. Looks like Final Fantasy may be a new source of art I will have to examine for inspiration!

Here is a still from the google search.

ff7-bg-08.jpg

I guess for me the idea started with the guardians. I saw some "hardsuit" builds that I thought were pretty cool (which is probably why the anime comments are spot on) and figured I could make a giant knight using similar techniques.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGI38w0HhPA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzv4rcid7gE

Here's two excellent church fight scenes (these specifically where what I had in mind for the atmospheric feel :)

Again awesome job. (also i totally didnt have sound on when i watched the videos to make sure they were the right ones... so lol hopefully the sound is ok.)

I love how you were able to pack so many details into the church and make it look decayed without over crowding it.

So many great things packed into one, the story, mosaic floor, mech knights, the stained glass windows. You have really upped the bar on the competition!

Wow Z, this is so great, I don't quite know what to say. As a big fan of the Wolfpack I had hoped, that more of them would one day join Mitgardia, where they have made great sailors so far, but alas they were rescued and have to follow you now. I just hope that they woun't take up the sword against their brothers in the North one day.

So in short, your interpretation of the wolf pack castle is just gorgious. I now feel like I have to do a moc about the Northern branch of the pack! And yes, thanks for the advice on lighting, I'm on my way to more natural light too now!

Even your wip pictures were great and I enjoyed them a lot. Now it's finished and even better. I especially like the vultures and all the green that re-occupies what men had once built. Also that you chose to present your story in the form of letters makes it very authentic. And I like the end titles of all the protagonists (like in a movie) :laugh:.

So what is he doing, the guy behind the tree?

This is a stunning entry Z, as every one of yours have been. The wolfpack tower is very well done. I really like the use of color, the bridge, the river, the first floor brickwork, and the second story walls - in short, everything is very well done.

The church is fantastic! I know the exact FF7 scene that S/C is referring to. The roofing is great, especially the collapsed portions. I love the circular work over the entrance, and the vulture as well. The eaves, the stained glass windows and the floor of the crypt are also excellent. I love the well too.

Z, you do not disappoint! Superb entry!

The wolfpack tower is very well done. I really like the use of color, the bridge, the river, the first floor brickwork, and the second story walls - in short, everything is very well done.

When the challenge was extended, I was nearly done with the "Keeper's Tomb". I was building up more soldiers for my Avalonian army when I ran across the Wolfpack torsos. I was pulling dark red arms off a different torso for the Avalonains when I thought of using the dark red arms on the Wolfpack torsos. I instantly felt the figs looked sharp again, and I loved the theme so much, I knew I had to remake the tower. I thought it turned out really well and makes me want to do another "remake".

The roofing is great, especially the collapsed portions. I love the circular work over the entrance, and the vulture as well. The eaves, the stained glass windows and the floor of the crypt are also excellent. I love the well too.

Thanks rogue. The well came from the left over technic liftarm bricks I had from Rossen Manor. I am glad you like the details on the outside, since I think that is my forte. I was staring at that hairpiece for a long time thinking about how it looked like folded vulture wings. The hairpiece isn't really attached to the rest of the bird, but it is stable with the way it is resting. They were fun, and I am surprised it is one of the main things people have focused in on!

On this build though, I really did try something different by building my first interior. The floor took FOREVER to wedge all those cheese slopes in there. I think you should know that with all the cheese slope floors you've done. I have used a similar stained glass technique before, but I had to adjust it so it looked nice on both the inside AND the outside. No one really noticed the interior minibuilds like the candelabras and the chandelier... I think they sort of got lost in the build since the action and the guardians are so prevalent in those shots. Maybe I should focus one build solely on an interior to see if I can get some feedback on that stuff.

Beautiful work on this Zcerb, the ruined chapel/crypt is just perfect and the wolfpack tower has has the look of an awesome remake of some classic set from yesteryear. :thumbup: (actually, it kind of reminds me of the forestmen river fortress!) The fight scenes inside the crypt are expertly handled too. Some of my fav details have to be the rose window and the subtley textured floor of the crypt, as well as the curved details over the doorways. Best of luck in the voting! :classic:

Wonderful build ZC. For me the highlights are the detailing on the Church, lovely lovely vultures, and all of the Wolfpack tower. The church build is great, but it is a little bit too rectilinear for me, given the disaster that struck it. Brilliant entry, excellent presentation too

:classic: