mephistopheles

Albion City Guard Barracks

Hi all!

Finally I have finished my first real MOC. All that I have been building so far were made out of spare parts just to keep me busy. I've started this MOC in January. Out of financial reasons it took me until today to collect all bricks needed for this MOC. First I had no idea for what I want to "use" this house, but than I've joined Avalonia and seen the Albion: the capital city of Avalonia thread. I've seen that building No. 12 happens to have the same "L" shape, so I've decided to dedicate this build to Albion.

This House serves as a Barrack for the city guard. Barrack in the meaning, that the Guards off duty live and rest here. No training or drills are held in here. This MOC is pretty much based on Derfel's guide, but I added few little ideas myself. For example I made it modular. Later on I will add interiors.

You might wonder why the tooth pieces on the wall alternate red-white-green. The reason for this is simple. I have to get the maximum out of such MOC-es regarding "usefulness". I will take this House to LEGO exhibitions and meetings here in Hungary and our Flag is made of red, white, green stripes.

You might find it interesting that I made an approximate brick count and I used ~3300 bricks for this build.

Enough talking. Here are the pics:

UPDATE:

100_3366.jpg

Older pictures:

100_3299.jpg

100_3300.jpg

100_3301.jpg

100_3302.jpg

100_3303.jpg

100_3304.jpg

100_3306.jpg

100_3307.jpg

I hope you like it :)

Edited by mephistopheles

Very good, this has turned out really nice! :thumbup:

=Legonardo=

Edited by Legonardo Davidy

Very nice! Fits perfect into Albion!! The red/green/white teeths are a great detail!

As for me, I love the 1x1 round technique! Looks so real! :classic:

Great job on this!!

My spies described it as typically Avalonia, so great job!

Also they couldn't stop talking about the very nice detailed roof! After seeing their small sketches, I have to agree with them :thumbup:

Great house and I really like that you can access the interior :thumbup: Maybe you can add some figs and a little landscape in the future?

Yes I agree with Soccerkid that you should add a little landscape, it makes the build more "Alive"

A very solid build, with good detail, although I do agree with Captain Beerbeard.

Well done!

the roof is very well done and I like your detail under the windows. my only criticism would be that you look like you added chimney after the fact as it looks like it is in the middle of the rooms. perhaps when you furnish it it will look more like it was ment that way.

On a side note my Grandfather immigrated to the US from Szent Miklos so I love the tooth detail! Also if you could package up some traditional hungary dishes, Ill trade you some pieces! My Grandfather used to make some great food. Sadly he past away years ago. I never learned how to make them from the Maestro and I haven't been able to recreate them myself over the years.

Mikey

Edited by MikeyB

Good work man.

I like the bottom level with the plates and the tiles on the corners.

On the second level, I like the "teeth" details. I also like the two shaded shutters.

The shape and the overall MOC is very good. A big :thumbup: for you.

Like others have suggested, landscaping would improve the MOC, but that will come with time.

I like most of the roof, though the curved pieces in the middle of the roof eves don't quite seem to fit.

Also, the detailing under the windows is a good idea, but I know the pieces you used don't sit "flush" with the house. It would also be nice if there some thing over the rounded windows as well to add more detail.

Thanks all for your nice comments and helpful criticism!

Yes, I should do landscaping, but that would take about another 2 month of saving for me and I really wanted to post this house. This doesn't mean of course that I won't add a surrounding later on. I have already plans and some pieces done for the interior. Once I am done with landscaping and interior I will give this post an update.

Thanks all for your nice comments and helpful criticism!

Yes, I should do landscaping, but that would take about another 2 month of saving for me and I really wanted to post this house. This doesn't mean of course that I won't add a surrounding later on. I have already plans and some pieces done for the interior. Once I am done with landscaping and interior I will give this post an update.

I'll be looking forward to seeing the update!

Really nice work here! Classic Avalonian design! I especially like the window treatments and the rake of the roof. The curved pieces halfway down the rake are a bit different, but don't bother me too much. I agree that some landscaping would be nice, but that can be added later, perhaps when you develop a nice scene or vignette that takes place at the barracks. I agree with MikeyB that the chimney inside the house is a bit unusual. I think in medieval times it was more likely to put the body of the chimney outside the walls, so that a chimney fire would have less chance of burning down the whole house, but I could wrong.

Regarding the chimney: my idea was that the chimney will also transport the heat from the stove to the second floor. I don't know how realistic this is or not, but I seemed logical to me. This way one fire is enough to heat the house a little.

Nice take on Derfel's standard! I, too, learned a lot from his tutorials.

This is authentically Avalonian, and a satisfactory build overall. I do have to agree with BeerBeard though, it would be nice to see some serious advancements on the basic 1x1 round wall with embellishments. Some palisades bricks, maybe? (I myself am guilty of overusing headlight bricks with tiles.)

Nice work! Keep building!

This thing is great. So much details here, nice colors, really nicely done. And the dark red is just great with the Avalonian colors.

(The only thing bothering me - no critique to you: As everyone is building houses in this - DCs - style, they seem to get generic. Not bad, but too many buildings in this style. Might work on this problem.. )

Best regards!

I didn't forget what you guys suggested. Finally I found the time and bricks to complete this House by placing it on a baseplate and add some surrounding. I hope you like it!

100_3366.jpg

The landscaping makes a huge difference! The archery range is a very nice touch, especially the markers for different ranges :thumbup:

The street works nicely as well :classic:

Edited by soccerkid6

Wonderful barracks.

I bet minifigs have a good life in it. :thumbup:

Another thought...

People often don't get past the first post in a thread. I would "edit" your first post to give the updated picture there as well.

Another thought...

People often don't get past the first post in a thread. I would "edit" your first post to give the updated picture there as well.

Done as you suggested!

Thank you all for your kind words!

Very nice indeed! Great too see that you continue after the tip you got before! Love the Avalonia feel to it! :thumbup: