Solscud007

Pictorial Review: 10225 UCS R2-D2

The only gripe I have is that the friction of the third leg is so great that the leg doesn't drop out. Also the ankle boxes on the outer legs impedes the movement of the outer legs. So you have to pick up R2 and let the feet lower a little to clear his bottom when you move the legs back.

The set we built had the third legs quite easily moving, so it dropped out smoothly when you push the lever.

The ankle boxes in my opinion add stability when it stands on two legs, to pose it with three you anyway need to grab the with both hands. As I mentioned before it is not very swooshable, but adorable :-)

Well I did preface with the fact that I don't really talk much in a review. My opinions don't matter much. I agree with others. It should have wheels. It locks into two leg position so it can't really fall over. I want to make the legs jets and periscope. I will also try to make a lighsaber handle poke out of his head.

I would have liked a sound brick and or light brick for him. A simple blu light to act as the holo projector.

The only gripe I have is that the friction of the third leg is so great that the leg doesn't drop out. Also the ankle boxes on the outer legs impedes the movement of the outer legs. So you have to pick up R2 and let the feet lower a little to clear his bottom when you move the legs back.

A sound brick would have been perfect. R2 is famous for his beeps and boops.

I'd previously written this set off, didn't interest me at all. But those photos look really good. I still would prefer wheels or even PF, and light/sound bricks (which would be difficult/impossible to MOD, we'd nee Lego to produce them)

So I'll wait to see what people do with him - I think he'll be the most modded UCS set ever :)

Sad to see colorful bricks are visible when you open those parts. Lego shouldn't be that cheap.

So I'll wait to see what people do with him - I think he'll be the most modded UCS set ever :)

That's very exciting actually. :excited: Hopefully someone will make a mod like that awesome UCS Millenium Falcon with interior and LEDs. :wub:

That's very exciting actually. :excited: Hopefully someone will make a mod like that awesome UCS Millenium Falcon with interior and LEDs. :wub:

I hope to see a RC MOD, much like the VW Van that was posted awhile ago. I'm glad though, they didn't add a light or sound brick, or PF. It would've been $200 then. Paying $180 was hard enough. :tongue:

Did anyone get a brick separator in their R2 box? On the first page of the instructions where it tells you which numbered bag corresponds to each part of the assembly, the section for bag #1 shows a brick separator. I didn't see one in my box, nor is one listed on the parts list at the end of book #3.

It's not a big deal, but I was just curious if it's some sort of typo from an early run of the instruction manual or something like that.

-Kevin

I don't understand the fuss over the colored bricks. They're hidden so they don't bother me.

Edited by gotoAndLego

I don't understand the ufss over the colored bricks. They're hidden so they don't bother me.

It isn't a deal breaker for me. I just wasn't expecting it.

I saw the promotion video on youtube and I was a little amused about the "great" features R2-D2 have, but after building ( 3h 18 minutes of fun! :cry_happy: ) I really think this set was made with a lot of thinking and everything looks perfect! Ok, the colourfull inside is not perfect but helps children to build it. :sweet:

I love the size and the clean design.

r2-d2.jpg

A lot of mocs should be done:

- R/C ( power functions )

- other movements like head rotation ( power functions )

- Light bricks

- Sound brick ( thanks for that idea! I thought about programming a microcontroller wiht sound and lights )

and of course:

- other star wars droids buy using the R2-D2 base! :thumbup:

and of course:

I can't wait to see some of these! An R5-D4 would be epic :wub:

I can't wait to see some of these! An R5-D4 would be epic :wub:

Yes! that was my first thought, too. A black one ( don't know the number ) would be nice, too.

Edit: R2-Q5 is the black one. And a C3-PO in scale would be great!

BTW: I didn't got the new brick separator. I think it's just an example.

Edited by gerkenz

Sad to see colorful bricks are visible when you open those parts. Lego shouldn't be that cheap.

Actually, as far as production costs, white requires no extra dyes and is one of the cheaper colors to produce. TLG is actually spending more money in an effort to make the build easier by using all the colorful bricks.

Actually, as far as production costs, white requires no extra dyes

Oh I forgot to mention some "color fading" of white and dark blue parts. I mean for example there a some slightly colour differences of white bricks, some are a very very little bluish and some not. Some of the dark blue 1x1 are a very little "pale" ( hope thats the right word ).

I saw that on bricks from bricklink before but I thought that's because the bricks had different production years.

It's bad in any way, the droid looks very cool! - just wanted to mention.

Edited by gerkenz

TLG is actually spending more money in an effort to make the build easier by using all the colorful bricks.

Is that actually necessary? I get the impression that it is not. I don't think that many people would get confused and be unable to make the model.

Is that actually necessary? I get the impression that it is not. I don't think that many people would get confused and be unable to make the model.

I'm not sure how necessary it is, (I don't think it is at all, but that's just me) but it seems to be the theory that everyone agrees makes sense.

I'm not sure how necessary it is, (I don't think it is at all, but that's just me) but it seems to be the theory that everyone agrees makes sense.

Yeah, I don't think that there is a need that really interferes with the product quality. I do agree that that's probably the right explanation.

ohhhhh! this site is naughty! LOL

i'm DEFINITELY going to get R2-D2!!

I'm also interested in moding it but dont want to mess with the kit so may, as others have said, buy the bits to create a different droid & then mod that with movement/lights.

its the same with the 10179 falcon i've got. i wanted it to do more & have a "battle wore" look but because its so rare i dont want to mess with it. i never even though about buying parts to make a replic until i came here! now i'm going to sell my falcon & then buy bits to built it again the way i'll like it :)

Completed my R2 last night, and I love it. It definitely was expensive but he does look pretty cool.

I am pretty sure I didn't have the same whites throughout the build. My wife thought it was the lighting in the room but there definitely were some slight colour variations with it.

The third leg drops fine on mine, the issue though is that the grilled pieces keep coming off. Seems like they have been slightly warped, they will sit flush and then start coming off the studs. If I don't move it though, well it sits fine with no issues.

A blue light brick would have been awesome for the holographic projector.

Overall though I am pretty happy with it.

I saw the promotion video on youtube and I was a little amused about the "great" features R2-D2 have, but after building ( 3h 18 minutes of fun! :cry_happy: ) I really think this set was made with a lot of thinking and everything looks perfect! Ok, the colourfull inside is not perfect but helps children to build it. :sweet:

I love the size and the clean design.

r2-d2.jpg

A lot of mocs should be done:

- R/C ( power functions )

- other movements like head rotation ( power functions )

- Light bricks

- Sound brick ( thanks for that idea! I thought about programming a microcontroller wiht sound and lights )

and of course:

I just thought of a way to motorize it. [//goo.gl/3Rkkf]

Can anyone try to see if works or not?

P.S. Please excuse me as I can't post link yet.

I think I'd be happy to leave home permanently three-legged if it meant adding PF to him. I'd probably be happy to lose his toys too.

I wonder if Lego is experimenting with this set. All the colours or the internals, plus having so many bag numbers makes each 'stage' pretty short. Maybe they are giving you the option of an easy build (one bag at a trimester), medium (mix up a couple of bags), or hard (all in one bucket)

Edited by mrklaw