Solscud007

Pictorial Review: 10225 UCS R2-D2

gallery_101_23_281.gif

As someone pointed out in another thread, he is a rainbow of colors inside.

I was a little surprised at the bags. There are bags numbered up to 10. Some duplicate numbers but I feel like they were stretching a little thin with the high number count of bags.

Im not much for detailing reviews. I just take pics. So here they are:

Front

P1010241.jpg

Back

P1010243.jpg

Sides

P1010242.jpg

P1010244.jpg

P1010245.jpg

P1010246.jpg

Bags

P1010247.jpg

Build

P1010248.jpg

P1010249.jpg

P1010250.jpg

P1010252.jpg

P1010253.jpg

P1010254.jpg

P1010260.jpg

P1010261.jpg

P1010262.jpg

Finished

_DSC0149.jpg

_DSC0147.jpg

_DSC0146.jpg

_DSC0145.jpg

_DSC0144.jpg

_DSC0138.jpg

_DSC0137.jpg

_DSC0136.jpg

Close ups

_DSC0139.jpg

_DSC0140.jpg

_DSC0143.jpg

Thanks for the pics! I definitely wasn't expecting that rainbow on the inside... So the legs have no wheels right?

Correct, no wheels

Correct, no wheels

Any chance of seeing a modification to correct that? :wink:

Great pics, I think I'll give this one a pass, but despite that it's a gorgeous set. :classic:

Very nice! I'm thinking I'll wait for a sale to get this one- it looks great but $180 is kind of steep.

Very nice! I'm thinking I'll wait for a sale to get this one- it looks great but $180 is kind of steep.

I agree with you, this is a great set but I can't justify the $180 price tag. Just have other priorities at the moment.

On a separate note, I like the set but I like it less after seeing the pictures in this review. I want to hold out on getting it now.

I think it's brilliant! :sweet:

I'm still hesitant to buy this for the May 4th promo however, maybe a double VIP points promo in the future.

Nice review! I'm not sure how you can take out the buzzsaw and the shocker?...and see the colorful inside. It looks like a nice build, though, but the price is way too much for me.

I think it's brilliant! :sweet:

I'm still hesitant to buy this for the May 4th promo however, maybe a double VIP points promo in the future.

You make a good argument for not getting it now for the promo...double VIP points on this would be delicious. :laugh: Damn you! :tongue: I was ready to buy him tomorrow.

You make a good argument for not getting it now for the promo...double VIP points on this would be delicious. :laugh: Damn you! :tongue: I was ready to buy him tomorrow.

Considering the UCS Super Star Destroyer has a discount today, I think that the UCS R2 might have one too one year from today. Plus, it's likely that Lego will keep its free shipping. I plan to wait to think better if I want this big guy, perhaps even see some more reviews, and buy the promo fig through BL or eBay. It's not that expensive.

I would wait for a double VIP points too. I'm already thinking of MODs.

Thanks for the review.

Thanks so much for this.

TLG has gone a bit awry with the colors inside.

Can you please give us the long numbers on the back of the instruction booklets?

TLG has only put online the first booklet. The other two might be there also...

Thanks so much for this.

TLG has gone a bit awry with the colors inside.

Can you please give us the long numbers on the back of the instruction booklets?

TLG has only put online the first booklet. The other two might be there also...

I got this set from the Milton Keynes Lego store yesterday

Numbers for you

Book 1 6003560/6003563

Book 2 6016596/6016597

Book 3 6016600/6016001

My wallet is still smarting from the Star Wars experience but I did manage to get 3 x TC14 in my haul yesterday. Store was expecting a busy day today, with most stock being gone by tonight!.

Hope this helps

Calv

I also think this set is gorgeous, but would much rather buy another modular building. The price is too much.

I too wasn't expecting that much rainbow. At least we don't see it that much.

Thanks for the review, this is a very nice set but I'll echo the sentiments of others and agree that the price is too high at the moment. :sadnew:

Great turn around on this, your pictures are great. I want this guy but it seems so expensive for what you get. Do you think it was worth it? Are you happy with it?

I also update your title so the readers know what they are getting into.

Great turn around on this, your pictures are great. I want this guy but it seems so expensive for what you get. Do you think it was worth it? Are you happy with it?

I also update your title so the readers know what they are getting into.

I agree with Cammy. :tongue:

You might want to share more thoughts on this presentation of yours as it can be very helpful to hear out some of your insights instead of seeing pictures mostly.

Well I did preface with the fact that I don't really talk much in a review. My opinions don't matter much. I agree with others. It should have wheels. It locks into two leg position so it can't really fall over. I want to make the legs jets and periscope. I will also try to make a lighsaber handle poke out of his head.

I would have liked a sound brick and or light brick for him. A simple blu light to act as the holo projector.

The only gripe I have is that the friction of the third leg is so great that the leg doesn't drop out. Also the ankle boxes on the outer legs impedes the movement of the outer legs. So you have to pick up R2 and let the feet lower a little to clear his bottom when you move the legs back.

Nice review, 'Solscud007'! :sweet:

I haven't brought LEGO Star Wars sets since 2005, and I don't really go on this part of Eurobricks, but I really want this set. The detail is fantastic, and the functions are cool. I think I'm gonna put this on my Christmas list this year. :grin:

Well I did preface with the fact that I don't really talk much in a review. My opinions don't matter much. I agree with others. It should have wheels. It locks into two leg position so it can't really fall over. I want to make the legs jets and periscope. I will also try to make a lighsaber handle poke out of his head.

I would have liked a sound brick and or light brick for him. A simple blu light to act as the holo projector.

The only gripe I have is that the friction of the third leg is so great that the leg doesn't drop out. Also the ankle boxes on the outer legs impedes the movement of the outer legs. So you have to pick up R2 and let the feet lower a little to clear his bottom when you move the legs back.

Bummer. :sceptic: In spite of all those things, would you say that the overall balance is positive or negative?

Bummer. :sceptic: In spite of all those things, would you say that the overall balance is positive or negative?

Balance? As in can it stand or is the set positive or negative? I would say I was not overly expecting much. I mean UCS sets dont do much to begin with. Take the shuttle and the SSD. In comparison this does a lot more. I like how R2 looks and I look forward to doing some mods. It is a great set IMHO as a fan of SW.

Edited by Solscud007

Balance? As in can it stand or is the set positive or negative? I would say I was not overly executing much. I mean UCS sets dont do much to begin with. Take the shuttle and the SSD. In comparison this does a lot more. I like how R2 looks and I look forward to doing some mods. It is a great set IMHO as a fan of SW.

I actually meant right what you answered. Thanks. :classic:

Thanks for the review! I'm not at all the LSW fanatic that I used to be, but I have to say that this set looks fantastic. :wub:

If not for the price tag, this would be my first SW set in over four years--maybe they should make a midi-scale R2-D2 for us cheapskates that want an R2-D2 to display, but can't fork out $180? :grin:

Edited by Skipper