Sign in to follow this  
soccerkid6

Mitgardian Catapult (it works!)

Here is my first siege weapon, I had a lot of fun building it and I'm quite happy with the end result.

It works just like a real catapult would have, a twisted rubberband, a winch to prime the arm, and a lever to let it go.

This one is operated by dwarves.

This was partly inspired by zcerberus' trebuchet and Ecclesiastes' catapults.

]

Any comments or criticism welcome!

p.s. I can make it more powerful by just twisting the rubber band one more time, I will probably post another video of it in action after doing that.

Edited by soccerkid6

@glenpinpat: Maybe I'll make one in the future :classic:

Looking nice. My only problem with it is the log bricks used, both just looks extremely weird there. I'm sure you'll also understand why. Apologies for the criticism.

You are referring to the two just under the cross bar? They do look rather out of place and I will probably switch them out. This is probably version 3.5, and previously there were lots more log bricks. I just kind of forgot to take them out completely (except the arm of course).

Thanks for the comment and no need to apologize for good constructive criticism!

You are referring to the two just under the cross bar? They do look rather out of place and I will probably switch them out. This is probably version 3.5, and previously there were lots more log bricks. I just kind of forgot to take them out completely (except the arm of course).

Thanks for the comment and no need to apologize for good constructive criticism!

Yes, that, and also the arm of the catapult. The log brick makes it look as if the arm was made up of short trunks put together in the wrong direction.

Here is the video so you don't have to click the link for it.

EDIT: removed video since soccerkid6 added the video to the first post!

Thanks zcerberus :classic: This was actually partly inspired by your great trebuchet, that showed me its possible to make functional siege weapons.

Edited by soccerkid6

That's cool! A lot of the fun for posting MOCs for me is for others to borrow ideas I have for their own MOCs, so thank you.

I also did a ballista that really fires as well if you missed that one you can find it here.

I think I may need to try my hand a wheeled version of something like this. I may use your twisted rubberband to make it!

super cool... it reminds me of a game my dad bought us kids when we were young- Vikings and Barbarians

@zcerberus: I have seen your ballista before, though I forgot about it. That thing is incredible :thumbup: Yeah I would have liked to put mine on wheels but couldn's come up with anything acceptable. I would love to see you make one :classic:

@Mikel Kalores: Thanks :classic:

Thanks Ecclesiastes :classic: At first I wasn't sure how I could make it shoot, but it was actually pretty easy and definitely worth it!

Soccerkid, this is really cool! Functional Moc are so much fun, I guess I have to build some too!!