Sign in to follow this  
Mithrandir

New Treads from 8272 Snowmobile

I just got the three new technic sets today, but I won't have time to build them until the weekend. However, as a sneak preview, I opened up the Snowmobile just to see the treads, since I have a love of treaded vehicles.

Here's my impression: Cool!

They're big; I didn't expect them to be so big, but I actually like that. They're exactly twice as wide and twice as long as the old technic treads; making them 5x2 per tread. They're a lot sturdier than the old treads, which was my biggest complaint about the old ones; there's no way these things are going to decouple from each other (well okay, I'm sure someone with a fast enough motor can figure out a way ;-)). Another plus is that they have a deep pattern on them, as opposed to the old "5 small holes" on the old treads, so this means that they'll grip into surfaces much better than the old treads. They seem to have a lot more friction due to this, and will work better (but still not nearly as good as a rubber wheel) on smoothe surfaces.

However, there is a downside; they had to make a new notched wheel piece to use with them, since the standard teeth of a gear are too close together to fit into the treads now. So the bad part is that you can't use gears with these, and you're required to stick to using the new cog piece. However the good news is that the model comes with four of these cogs, and they're the same size as a 24T gear.

So, my initial verdict: I like em, and I think I'm going to buy another snowmobile to get more.

I think I'll post my reactions to the snowmobile itself when I build it sometime later this week.

I cant wait to see your review I would like to see pictures of the new treads.

I will have to wait till these are released in the UK *sing*

Sweeeeeet !!

I can't wait to read your review on that snowmobile ;-) Tks for the update on the new treads, thats really interesting !!

So Review On !!

*yoda*

*y* great pics of the new treads Thanks.

What kit does the new axle appear in?

New axle is in the $20.00 set, 8271 Wheel Loader. There's two of them.

It's 8 studs long and has a stop at the end, which is incredibly useful for getting it to fit into tight places, as the model does quite nicely.

I might decide to get another one of those sets too.

Many tks Mithrandir for these pics ;-)

I am so getting that snowmobile set, I just *wub* it !! And that tread part seems really interesting ;-)

Seeing these pics, I can't wait for full reviews hehe !!

Tread On !!

*yoda*