Sign in to follow this  

Just finished putting together a video of my latest creation.

It turns out that the Unimog tires don't have the best grip.

Any input on ways to improve it?

Thinking about doing a rally car kind of trial vehicle next. Any thoughts on that?

v/r

Andy

Great looking buggy Andy, the only thing I could suggest is, it could use some sort of grill/headlight assembly.

As for traction, maybe weighting the tires might help, I think I would try stuffing the tires with Play-doh.

Awesome build anyway!

Ok, here is my critiques:

Is it a modified version of Zblj's panther? The axles are similar (except for gearing), the motors are in the same place...

I don't like the bodywork...it looks "thrown on", especially in the hood. It looks as if you slapped that panel in and said "oh well, I just want to drive this thing!!!"

The performance seems nice, the speed is good

It is a bit tippy with the soft shocks

Ok, here is my critiques:

Is it a modified version of Zblj's panther? The axles are similar (except for gearing), the motors are in the same place...

I don't like the bodywork...it looks "thrown on", especially in the hood. It looks as if you slapped that panel in and said "oh well, I just want to drive this thing!!!"

The performance seems nice, the speed is good

It is a bit tippy with the soft shocks

I used some of his design characteristics for inspiration. I tried laying the motors down to lower the center of gravity, but it raised too many other complications. It seems that there sometimes there are only so many ways one can invent a wheel. I also prefer my four links to the unimog suspension style utilized in the "panther".

Yes, the bodywork is mostly an afterthought. Much more time spent on axles, geometry, and the chassis. I do not think that I am that good with body work so I copied Zblj's crawler body and modified it to work for my chassis.

It is mostly "tippy" because of the location of the RC buggy motors. I have tried softer shocks and they would not stop it from rolling over. I also tried firmer shocks and they inhibited wheel articulation. It is a compromise.

My last vehicle used PP tires and the weight of them helps to stabilize the chassis. Maybe the next iteration will be scaled to make it work with PP tires without looking cartoonish.

It probably could use a grill. I could also stuff other lego tires into the unimog tires to try to improve traction.

Thanks for an honest critique.

v/r

Andrew

@ AndyCW: At least the Trial Truck has more traction than your other truck: :tongue:

@ AndyCW: At least the Trial Truck has more traction than your other truck: :tongue:

Good one. That made the neighbors a little sore. Best way to use up old tires I have ever come across.

I used some of his design characteristics for inspiration. I tried laying the motors down to lower the center of gravity, but it raised too many other complications. It seems that there sometimes there are only so many ways one can invent a wheel. I also prefer my four links to the unimog suspension style utilized in the "panther".

Yes, the bodywork is mostly an afterthought. Much more time spent on axles, geometry, and the chassis. I do not think that I am that good with body work so I copied Zblj's crawler body and modified it to work for my chassis.

It is mostly "tippy" because of the location of the RC buggy motors. I have tried softer shocks and they would not stop it from rolling over. I also tried firmer shocks and they inhibited wheel articulation. It is a compromise.

My last vehicle used PP tires and the weight of them helps to stabilize the chassis. Maybe the next iteration will be scaled to make it work with PP tires without looking cartoonish.

It probably could use a grill. I could also stuff other lego tires into the unimog tires to try to improve traction.

Thanks for an honest critique.

v/r

Andrew

I agree with most of those.

The last one about the springs, you misunderstood. Use some hard shocks for better stability. Also, maybe weighted 94.8x44r wheels would be better...

What I mean by weighted is either filling them with pins or adding smaller tires to the inside.

Thanks for not taking it too harshly :P