LEGO Family

My 30 year old TFOL LEGO recovered

So we have had some delays on our Starcraft 2 battlefield build. Fortunately for once one delay of the good kind.

I recently rediscovered my 30 year old TFOL LEGO.

That made me freak out like a little kid.

Unfortunately when i lifted the box, it fell apart. Literally the buttom turned into dust.

I knew then that all stickers and decals were ruined. A flood had been in town a year ago. But i didnt think that the water had reached into that cellar.

I also thought that all the instructions were in that box, so i was close to crying. ( Again literally ). :p

To my luck i found the instructions in a totally diffrent place. I have at some point divided the instructions and LEGO, so there is still a lot missing. Both instructions and LEGO.

I sat with the kids all weekend ( and several more days) building all the sets we could.

A brick is missing here and there. I didnt want to cheat and take LEGO from our "new" collection.

Enough talk. Here is all the sets we were able to put together:

tfol%20(2).JPG

tfol%20(3).JPG

tfol%20(4).JPG

tfol%20(5).JPG

tfol%20(6).JPG

tfol%20(7).JPG

tfol%20(8).JPG

tfol%20(9).JPG

tfol%20(10).JPG

tfol%20(11).JPG

tfol%20(12).JPG

tfol%20(13).JPG

tfol%20(14).JPG

tfol%20(15).JPG

tfol%20(16).JPG

tfol%20(17).JPG

tfol%20(18).JPG

tfol%20(19).JPG

tfol%20(20).JPG

tfol%20(21).JPG

tfol%20(22).JPG

tfol%20(23).JPG

tfol%20(24).JPG

tfol%20(25).JPG

tfol%20(26).JPG

tfol%20(27).JPG

tfol%20(28).JPG

tfol%20(29).JPG

tfol%20(30).JPG

tfol%20(31).JPG

tfol%20(32).JPG

tfol%20(33).JPG

tfol%20(34).JPG

tfol%20(35).JPG

tfol%20(36).JPG

tfol%20(37).JPG

tfol%20(38).JPG

tfol%20(39).JPG

tfol%20(40).JPG

tfol%20(41).JPG

tfol%20(42).JPG

tfol%20(43).JPG

tfol%20(44).JPG

tfol%20(45).JPG

tfol%20(46).JPG

tfol%20(47).JPG

tfol%20(48).JPG

tfol%20(49).JPG

tfol%20(50).JPG

tfol%20(51).JPG

This is "the left over" LEGO, and a lot of instructions also that we didnt find the pieces for.

When i find the rest of my LEGO and instructions. That will be builded also.

tfol%20(52).JPG

tfol%20(53).JPG

I know this is not custom. But it made me all nostalgic, so i thought i would share it with you all. Tell all you TFOLs out there to put your manuals away to keep them in safe condition. Since i havent touched that LEGO for 28 years, having had my dark age, im really surprised that its in that good condition.

Take good care of your LEGO. One year ago i would have laughed if some oracle told me i would be playing with LEGO again. And look at me now.

Anyway hope you enjoyed this little trip down memorylane. :)

Edited by LEGO Family

You had a lot of similar sets to me :wub: If you find the time, perhaps you might review some of these old sets? :look:

However, this isn't really Special Themes.... It's mainly Town, so I'm tempted to move this over there, or perhaps General. I'll take advice...

Looking again, it isn't one theme in particular. I'm moving to General. You might consider splitting it and posting the separate themes in the relevant forums.

You had a lot of similar sets to me :wub: If you find the time, perhaps you might review some of these old sets? :look:

However, this isn't really Special Themes.... It's mainly Town, so I'm tempted to move this over there, or perhaps General. I'll take advice...

Looking again, it isn't one theme in particular. I'm moving to General. You might consider splitting it and posting the separate themes in the relevant forums.

It could be fun having my sons review the sets. I will se if i can take some time to do that with them now and then.

I just putted it here in special, since it aint custom build. So i honestly had no clue where to put it .. lol

Whereever you decide to put it is fine with me. I just wanted to share all these old sets with you all. :)

Lovely collection, great to see it still pretty much all in reasonable shape. Alas my parents appear to have got rid of all my childhood Lego sets (I was gutted when I found out).

BTW the yellow astronaut from 6823 appears to have swiped the grey 'metal detector' piece that's missing from the back of 6844. He's supposed to have a black one. :-)

That is pure gold, I had pretty much the lot as a child (but it all went in to the garbagecan!) .. I LUV'ED the 6929 and I think I'll have to get it again

That Mærsk thing is worth something now, no?

Pure gold, I say

Wow. I really miss that Spirit of St. Louis. And I spent a LOT of time playing with those same space sets.

Wow, you have some vintage LEGO, isn't that yellow castle worth a lot of money?

Very nice trip back to the past.

Fun! I rescued a bunch of my old sets from my parents' basement a few weeks ago when I was visiting them. Included some of the original Space sets like 483 Alpha-1 Rocket Base and 487 Space Cruiser. Plus some early Town stuff I haven't identified, and a few Technic sets, like 960 Technic Motor, and 954 Sky Copter (I think). Unfortunately I didn't find any instructions.

After cleaning them, I was amazed at how most of the pieces are in fine condition. Most of the old wheels (3482) were cracked, and a bunch of small gears (3647) were broken, but other than that, most of it was in great shape.

Hi

gratulation! It was so exciting to see most of the sets i had. That was pure DejaVu, but with a 25+ years lag ;) I can not say how i miss those "more realistic" classic space set in pure grey or white. Even the box layout with a real moon background is sooo cool! The new colorful space stuff today can not mess with that old classic!

And even those forgetable set like the snackbar comes hard back into my mind when i saw those "ice on a stick" bricks that i had and loved too.

EDIT: WOOOHAAAAA! Did you took a lok how much they take for the Maersk truck? Up to 500€...

You found a treasure for yourself and your wallet :)

Dino

Edited by Darth Dino

It's easy to see that you're Danish, as most kids around the world would never have had access to the 1651 Maersk Truck and that Sterling plane. Awesome collection that seems to be in great condition, the Maersk Truck is such a gem, your instructions look fresh and I barely see discoloration of the Maersk blue bricks (a very big problem for the color). Savor it!

I also see some figures that you appear to have liberated from the key chain they came with, that Falck minifigiure and the Legoland figure. Are they glued together? In any case I could only see four of those Falck keychains on Bricklink, so that is a very rare item...

What an amazing find in your own home. :grin:

I wish my teen years had been as great in a LEGO way. :wink:

That yellow castle is such a great classic set! Too bad I didn't start getting into Legos until the '90s. It is amazing how far Lego has come in the past 30 years!

Looks like I may need to do the same. I still have stuff from late 70's to late 80's including a number of classic Space, 7722 train set, Forestmen sets, etc. Many with instruction and boxes. I've kept them separate from newer stuff when I got back from the first dark age late 90's so it should be easy to find and reassemble most of them.

Nice find indeed. That's like finding the lost city of Atlantis! :laugh: ok...maybe not. I really like that old snack bar set. Perfect for a beach in a city layout. And all that leftover LEGO, who knows what's to be found in there.

This really is a great colllection. :wub:

I only have a couple of sets from my child hood, but these really bring back the fun times I had with my brothers. :classic:

Wonderful find. A lot of this stuff is worth a lot if you decide to sell it, and still pretty cool if yoy don't.

Wow, great find. It's amazing how well Lego stands up over the decades.

Oh my god ... just saw how many posts this topic have gotten. Dont know where to begin. To start with, sorry if i dont get to answer you all. :)

Lovely collection, great to see it still pretty much all in reasonable shape. Alas my parents appear to have got rid of all my childhood Lego sets (I was gutted when I found out).

BTW the yellow astronaut from 6823 appears to have swiped the grey 'metal detector' piece that's missing from the back of 6844. He's supposed to have a black one. :-)

First of. Auch, i would have cried if my LEGO was gone.

And yeah, i noticed the grey part .... That was what i had to do with, so the poor fig shouldnt get "shot" barehanded. :P

Fun! I rescued a bunch of my old sets from my parents' basement a few weeks ago when I was visiting them. Included some of the original Space sets like 483 Alpha-1 Rocket Base and 487 Space Cruiser. Plus some early Town stuff I haven't identified, and a few Technic sets, like 960 Technic Motor, and 954 Sky Copter (I think). Unfortunately I didn't find any instructions.

After cleaning them, I was amazed at how most of the pieces are in fine condition. Most of the old wheels (3482) were cracked, and a bunch of small gears (3647) were broken, but other than that, most of it was in great shape.

I can only hope that i will find the rest of the instructions. But i feel blessed that at least i found some of them. Sorry for your lose though mate :(

We have just begun cleaning all the "sets" today. Reason that we didnt do that yet was because i wouldnt by accident put any stickers to wash. To save as many decals and stickers as possible was a high priority .... And i must admit, all the pictures above look somewhat lovely, but the bricks turns out even fresher now after having been washed and left for drying.

Hi

gratulation! It was so exciting to see most of the sets i had. That was pure DejaVu, but with a 25+ years lag ;) I can not say how i miss those "more realistic" classic space set in pure grey or white. Even the box layout with a real moon background is sooo cool! The new colorful space stuff today can not mess with that old classic!

And even those forgetable set like the snackbar comes hard back into my mind when i saw those "ice on a stick" bricks that i had and loved too.

EDIT: WOOOHAAAAA! Did you took a lok how much they take for the Maersk truck? Up to 500€...

You found a treasure for yourself and your wallet :)

Dino

Oh yes all those retro space sets are awesome, to me even the smallest of the sets. Brings back so many memories.

The snackbar did exactly the same to me. I had forgotten all about it. When i saw the instruction for it it brought back sweet memories. :D

Indeed i knew that a lot of the sets are worth a lot of money, but those money aint worth the memories they bring back to me. And the special pieces are very valuable also. I have tons of plans for what a lot of them can be used for in MOCs to come.

Thanks for the reply. :)

It's easy to see that you're Danish, as most kids around the world would never have had access to the 1651 Maersk Truck and that Sterling plane. Awesome collection that seems to be in great condition, the Maersk Truck is such a gem, your instructions look fresh and I barely see discoloration of the Maersk blue bricks (a very big problem for the color). Savor it!

I also see some figures that you appear to have liberated from the key chain they came with, that Falck minifigiure and the Legoland figure. Are they glued together? In any case I could only see four of those Falck keychains on Bricklink, so that is a very rare item...

Thanks for the comment. :)

Indeed i will save every brick of my childhood collection. Nothing is gonna be sold as written above. :)

And to answer your question about the figs. Nothing have been glued, thats probably why i cant find the keychain for them :P

Looks like I may need to do the same. I still have stuff from late 70's to late 80's including a number of classic Space, 7722 train set, Forestmen sets, etc. Many with instruction and boxes. I've kept them separate from newer stuff when I got back from the first dark age late 90's so it should be easy to find and reassemble most of them.

It would have been a mess for me if i had saved the boxes also due to the flood. :P

Then again, i would have loved to have had all the boxes also. But im pretty sure that i as a kid, tared them apart totally craving to build every set :D :D

Cant wait to se what you find of treaures there dude. :)

Nice find indeed. That's like finding the lost city of Atlantis! :laugh: ok...maybe not. I really like that old snack bar set. Perfect for a beach in a city layout. And all that leftover LEGO, who knows what's to be found in there.

Hehe ... It actually felt something like finding the holy grail. My heart stopped for several seconds.

And indeed i so hope that the rest of the instructions and LEGO will pop up soonish so we can build the rest of the sets. Would be awesome !! :D

Lovely pics, brought back a lot of memories. Me and my brother had many of these sets, especially the early Space ones.

I'm 38 now and what really makes me want to cry, is when I saw all those space sets. I had every one of the space sets there that you just found, and when I got into my teens my mom gave it all away :(

I remember each one as I was going through your pictures.

Anyway, Congratulations on finding such a treasure, that is certainly enough to bring some big smiles:)

Thanks for the memories. :cry_happy:

As Rufus suggested it would be great to see some of these classic sets reviewed. :thumbup:

Wow that's an awesome collection! Those bring back some memories of when I was building stuff with my little brother. Fun times indeed :classic:

I'm 38 now and what really makes me want to cry, is when I saw all those space sets. I had every one of the space sets there that you just found, and when I got into my teens my mom gave it all away :(

I remember each one as I was going through your pictures.

Anyway, Congratulations on finding such a treasure, that is certainly enough to bring some big smiles:)

Auch ... I would have feltthe same way if i found out my mom and dad had done that.

Glad these can make you smile a bit though.

Thanks for the comment :)

Thanks for the memories. :cry_happy:

As Rufus suggested it would be great to see some of these classic sets reviewed. :thumbup:

I have talked to my kids about it. We have two big projects going right now.

Our starcraft 2 battlefield: SC2 Battlefield WIP

And our Doctor Who comic - Chapter 5: ( Link to chapter 1 )

( Figured a few commercials would be ok ) ..

When these 2 projects are over with, they will be more than happy to build the sets and tell me how they feel about them. Thought it would be funnier to have them build them comparing the sets to how LEGO is now adays. :)