LEGO Historian

Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide 1949-90s

When I think of people throwing away old stuff (such as old American baseball cards that were thrown away by the millions of dollars worth, by American mothers in the 1950s and 1960s.... gulp.... especially when a 1952 Mickey Mantle card fetches upwards of $10,000 in mint.... :hmpf:

Well, these items reach high prices because everyone threw them away... if everyone would have kept them, they wouldn't be anything special today, and they would be worth thousands of $$$ :wink:

I just spent a few hours making a very high resolution (38MB) poster sized image of 27 of the 30 1985 Paris LEGO Architect Exhibition entries...

Edited by LEGO Historian

Well 3 of the entries are pretty lame... actually in the image above I show one of the ones that I was going to omit... the one that looks like a white kitchen cabinet with a partition coming up out of the middle of it (one of the nicer models I accidentally omitted). And the 29th one was a circular white drum with some trans-clear bricks sticking out of one side. And the 30th one was really lame... a tall clear plexiglass outline of a dollhouse... with one of the attic rooms built out of LEGO.

After mulling it over... I may add the missing 3 images (tall ones)... thereby making the total image more compatible with standard poster dimensions.

I'll be giving it another once over.... and trying it out with all 30 images... :wink:

Edited by LEGO Historian

Thanks Antp... I will be making it "ALL 30" of the images. By "censuring" a few just because I don't care for them is really not fair... so I will be having a large poster size image with all 30 entrants to the contest! :classic:

I love this set image... some 2x5 sloped bricks (never produced!)... 610 Super Wheel Toy Locomotive...

610-3.jpg

Edited by LEGO Historian

Sigh... I'm always grousing about what a poor selection of windows the worlds leading building toy system has... :angry:

I was just updating the Modulex Chapter of my LEGO DVD/download... and my friend Michel from the Netherlands sends me this wonderful picture... Modulex windows in sizes with 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8 studs!!!

How much easier building wonderful LEGO structures if we had this type of selection... :sceptic:

9805207474_4aa9060567_b_d.jpg

Continuing to add content to future free upgrades to the DVD download (no longer available as a DVD... now only a renewable download.

Always improving on set images... new items....

10836890015_b8fc7b926d_b_d.jpg

10837055754_8fab97c64b_b_d.jpg

10836890605_e780cd8a52_b_d.jpg

10836959356_2c1a435252_b_d.jpg

Other new items added to the Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide are a new chapter on trying to get adults interested in LEGO. Unfortunately... this idea was 50 years ahead of its' time... but it is an interesting essay in getting parents interested in LEGO alongside their kids! :wink:

This chapter has lots of stunning LEGO advertising and box images....

http://www.youblisher.com/p/781819-Chapter-74-Adult-Children-LEGO-Displays/

The different colors are normal discoloration, right?

Pretty much... but there are also some Cellulose Acetate parts mixed in... for some reason I do believe that the light gray parts on the roofline are CA... they even have the warping. I am not convinced that they were originally CA... there may have been a restoral of the model using CA parts in those areas.

And the rightmost 2 small 1x1x1 windows on the 4th floor are CA as well. They're lighter than all the other 1x1x1 red windows.

Here's another LEGO model (it appears to be a platform of sorts, perhaps for displaying other models on top)... and this model also dates to the mid 1960s... with lots of discoloration of parts...

11795170834_6d1241cde7_b_d.jpg

Edited by LEGO Historian

Judging from the warping and the difference in color shades, it looks like most of the 2x4 white plates, the 1x2 gray plates and whatever 2x plates those are alternating along the left edge of the roof are CA, while the more yellowed pieces are later - maybe the restoration on the roof was to the right side, not the left, replacing warped CA pieces? That side doesn't seem to have any CA in it, but all the pieces appear to have yellowed at the same rate, so maybe they're all original. Fascinating (to a select few, admittedly).

Also fascinating is that this is made entirely of plates. Except for the windows I don't see a single brick-high piece anywhere. The lack of interlocking would probably make a modern model builder cringe, too.

One wonders if this wasn't designed to use up the CA plates.

Here's one that was purchased by a Dutch seller from a UK Toy Shop... the glued display model from the mid 1960s was a combination of ABS and CA parts. As is the case with all the white waffle bottom and early circle bottom large plates, they were made of a different much duller plastic. This can be seen in the 2x8 white plates used as railroad ties during the blue train track era (1966-79)... not ABS, not CA, but a different plastic that also had a tendency to yellow.

6972964425_5cd73c31f2_b_d.jpg

I just started another new LEGO DVD download chapter... this is only a few days old... and has no text yet. Lots of LEGO Retailer custom order items for LEGO stores. 60 years of LEGO retailers....

By the time I'm done with this chapter, it will be at least 30 pages long....

http://www.youblishe...-Store-Chapter/

Also... all new future updates are free for current owners.... :wink:

Here's a 1958 LEGO retailer image...

11327282495_458f5e3ab4_b_d.jpg

Edited by LEGO Historian

This can be seen in the 2x8 white plates used as railroad ties during the blue train track era (1966-79)... not ABS, not CA, but a different plastic that also had a tendency to yellow.

Indeed, and not the same shade of yellow as the ABS yellowing. I have a lot of these white plates with my blue train tracks.

Indeed, and not the same shade of yellow as the ABS yellowing. I have a lot of these white plates with my blue train tracks.

I just remembered something about those 2x8 white rail ties with the very matte finish (non-ABS) plastic... it was strange that some sets had those as well... such as the 455 Jear Jet set of the mid 1970s... each set came with 7 of those 2x8 white plates... along with many smaller white plates which were ABS. It was the combination of the two that looks kind of odd.... since ABS white plate are shiny when new, and these 2x8 plates had a very dull finish to them.

I talk about this non-shiny LEGO plate plastic in my LEGO DVD download guide, in the chapter about LEGO plates. Samsonite made a few sets in the late 1960s early 1970s that had these matte plates... but in other colors. I've had a few of these strange plates in red (4x8 waffle bottom) and black (4x8 waffle bottom and 4x6 circle bottom). In black and red these plates have a "pearly" finish to them... almost transluscent.

Edited by LEGO Historian

Welll well well.... you can now meld Facebook with LEGO.... :wink:

From my LEGO Collectors Guide, to my travels... to my grandfather, who got me started with LEGO... and to my late mother... this video, which Facebook generated randomly via all my Facebook pictures, is a testimonial to LEGO and architecture, that actually brought tears to my eyes....

(be sure to scroll up to PLAY)...

https://www.facebook...t=video_comment

Enjoy!

Gary Istok

Edited by LEGO Historian