Ricecracker

Modular Madness

banner_640.png

Classic-Town.net and Eurobricks invite you to create your own addition to the popular modular building subtheme that TLG has presented throughout the last five years.

The Idea

Since 2007, LEGO has released a large modular-style building in the exclusives range every year. These have been extremely popular with both AFOLs and children alike, and it is now time for you to build your own addition to the modular street. There are three different categories to compete in.

The Categories

Category 1: Mini Addition

For this category, you are to build an addition to the popular 10230 Mini Modulars. Entries must be 8x8.

Category 2: Parks and Rec

For this category, build something compatible with the other modular buildings that is not a building. Ideas include a park, garden, or public property. Entries must be either 16x32 or 32x32, and should include a sidewalk in accordance with the modular buildings, where applicable.

Category 3: Classic Modular

For this category, you can build a modular building. Entries must be 32x32, and should include a sidewalk in accordance with the modular buildings. Previous buildings include Cafe Corner, Green Grocer, Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, Pet Shop and Town Hall.

The Rules

• Entries must be posted by midnight UTC, July 31st, 2012.
  • One entry per member, per category.
  • Entries should be new (never posted anywhere previously) and similar in style and size to the previous official TLG releases.
  • All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands, 3rd party parts, or digital entries allowed.
  • Decals will be allowed if you've made them yourself, but no cutting, sculpting or modifying parts.
  • Entries are to be placed in their own entry topic in the Town forum. The title of the topic should begin with "Modular Madness: " and then give the name of the entry. The subtitle should state the category.
  • The entry post (first post in your entry topic) may be edited at any time up to the end of the contest, so feel free to make improvements if you wish.
  • Entries are to consist of no more than 5 posted pictures of 800x600 or smaller resolution but may also include a link to a folder of additional images of any size.
  • No photoshopping backgrounds or packaging.
  • We reserve the right to disqualify any entry that does not follow these rules.

For reference, Modular Standards:

For measurements etc, check out this link - Modular houses standard

Summary

- 32 studs deep, a multiple of 16 wide (this contest is limited to 32 wide I think?)

- 1x2 technic brick with a hole 9 studs from the front and back, with 10 studs between them. Two on each side at the bottom. This allows technic pegs to join buildings together

- sidewalk 8 studs deep. Dark bley tiles with a 1 stud light bley tile kerb are standard in Lego modulars, but I think they could be considered optional, the measurements are what is important

- if you have a rear alley/garden, that should be approx 8 studs back too,no the building footprint is 16 studs deep overall.

- height varies, so have a look at other modulars to check how it would blend in

The Prizes

Category 1: Mini Addition:

10230 Mini Modulars

10230-1.jpg

Category 2: Parks and Rec:

10230 Mini Modulars

10230-1.jpg

Category 3: Classic Modular:

10224 Town Hall

10224-1.jpg

Need some clarification:

Can we enter once in each category (3 entries) or just one entry overall?

Need some clarification:

Can we enter once in each category (3 entries) or just one entry overall?

Once per category. Rules updated.

That is one good-looking banner. :thumbup:

I’m confused by this rule: You must have joined prior to the start of the contest to enter.

Do I need to join or can I just post something prior to July 31st, 2012 with the Modular Madness title?

Or do you mean joined Eurobricks?

Yes it means joined Eurobricks. (this rule seems to be in place for all Eurobricks contests)

Yes it means joined Eurobricks. (this rule seems to be in place for all Eurobricks contests)

Thanks for clearing that up for me! :blush:

It sure is. :wub_drool:

Nice contest! That will force me to finish my latest modular building!

I'm in!

Just to confirm, for Category 3:

What size of baseplate does the Modular MOC building have to be on? 32x32 or 16x32? or ##x32?

Thank you.

Just to confirm, for Category 3:

What size of baseplate does the Modular MOC building have to be on? 32x32 or 16x32? or ##x32?

Entries for categories 1 and 3 should fit the Mini Modulars (8 x 8 stud base) and the Modular Buildings range (32 x 32 stud base), respectively.

Updated the rules. :classic:

Nice contest! That will force me to finish my latest modular building!

I'm in!

Same counts for me!

Strong competitor with Alex though. :look:

Entries for categories 1 and 3 should fit the Mini Modulars (8 x 8 stud base) and the Modular Buildings range (32 x 32 stud base), respectively.

Updated the rules. :classic:

*raises hand*

Have I then understood it correctly, that using a 48x48 baseplate, for instance, does not result in automatic disqualification?

Loving the long deadline :grin:. Since my LEGO is packed away for the entire month of May :cry_sad:, a deadline in June would have made this impossible to enter for me, but now I may be able to come up with something for at least one category :sweet:

Another great contest that I can't wait to start building! But...whoa...July 31st...that's a long time away...GREAT!

In the Collectible Minifigure contests, there's always a rule that the actual figure cannot be used so as not to give an unfair advantage to those who can more easily obtain them. Will there be a similar rule for this, i.e., photographs cannot feature the existing official sets?

Agreed! :wub_drool:

Loving the long deadline :grin:.

But...whoa...July 31st...that's a long time away...GREAT!

Then I expect you two to submit spectacular Classic Modular entries. :devil:

Same counts for me!

Strong competitor with Alex though. :look:

I take this for a compliment!

But I know that we will see some nice modulars, there are some very talented builders in this forum.

Can't wait seeing the entries!

I am already looking forward to see our town builders getting ready for this epic contest! :sweet: