Sign in to follow this  
SilentMode

Some custom microfigures

As part of one of my exhibits at AFOLcon/The LEGO Show, as well as my recent CUUSOO project (please support!), I had a go at making decals for Game microfigures. Actually the hardest part was removing the existing prints from the figures; I used a combination of Brasso (not recommended), eucalyptus oil and "magic eraser".

7122608811_a0c141af3f_c.jpg

I used waterslide paper in this case because of the light colours required. My only excuse for the colour darkness was printing the decals from Illustrator, which uses CMYK values.

I haven't seen this being done before, although I'm sure someone popping up from out of nowhere will be ready with examples.

The figs came out great, but why would you not recommend Brasso? It's the highly recommended stuff for removing print without melting Lego. :P

-Omi

Really cool work. I only wish the gorilla faces were easier to see.

I've been thinking of customizing the micro figs since I took the print off my first one in 2010 (?) but never did get around to it.

Do you have waterslide decals with a white background? Are you using inkjet or lazer printer?

The figs came out great, but why would you not recommend Brasso? It's the highly recommended stuff for removing print without melting Lego. :P

Mostly because it's left a residue whenever I've used it, and then I've had to use a toothpick to remove it from the edges.

Do you have waterslide decals with a white background? Are you using inkjet or lazer printer?

The paper has a white background, but with an alcohol-based varnish turns transparent. I'm using an inkjet printer.

Mostly because it's left a residue whenever I've used it, and then I've had to use a toothpick to remove it from the edges.

Always wash with hot water after every use. Rids the build up. :)

-Omi