Sign in to follow this  
Sire Pirol

Polish Army Legion /Dutchy of Warsaw

I think it is about time we had a topic about the Polish Military during the Napoleonic Era. The Polish Contribution had military, historic, and artistic effects to world history such as creation of the 'Ulhans' in almost every military up to WWII after the model of the original Polish Ulhans, the Polish Czapka or later Rogatywka which was later worn as a standard of every lancer regiments in Europe and brilliant commanders such as Poniatowski and just a little prior Koscuszko or Pulawski (father of American Cavalry) the mass paintings which we see of the Napoleonic Era where we can always see some Polish accent in it. After the partitions of Poland Poles joined the Polish Legions and later the Dutchy of Warsaw's army after its creation and took part in every major operation during the Napoleonic Era.

My goal is to create a Polish Army using extensive research as well my own made custom tursos and gear. The czapka I must say is the hardest because it is a unique Polish four squared cap, and I would have to have a ABS injection molding machine to get a plastic result. I still managed to get a cool and accurate result with my other methods. :thumbup:

This topic will be full of both historical materials and the recruiting of the Polish Army. Anyone could join in and add to the fun research and comment on how I am recruiting my troops. :pir_laugh2:

So the first Polish unit will be of course the Marshal of the Empire Polish leader, general, minister of war and army chief, Prince Józef Antoni Poniatowski.

He was the son of Andrzej Poniatowski, the brother of the last king of Poland Stanisław August Poniatowski, and a field marshal in the service of Austria. He first joined the Austrian imperial army where he was commissioned Lieutenant in 1780, in 1786/1788 promoted to Colonel and during the war against Ottoman Empire in 1788, he became an Aide-de-camp to Emperor Joseph II. He was summoned later by his uncle, the King of Poland, to military service where he later helped rebuilding the Polish Army with other Polish commanders and patriots. The May 3 Constitution took place in 1791, the first constitution in Europe and second in the world after the American which Poniatowski was an enthusiastic supporter of the reform and a member of the Friends of the Constitution Association. He took part in the Polish–Russian War of 1792 in defence of the Polish Constitution of 3 May 1791 and an active role in the 1794 Kościuszko Insurrection. Of the newly created Dutchy of Warsaw in its government Poniatowski on October 7 became Minister of War and Head of Army of Warsaw County and Poniatowski officially became Commander in Chief on March 21, 1809. His brilliant command won the Polish–Austrian War of 1809 liberating Polish lands that were just several years back partitioned. He fought in the Russian Caimpaign and the German Campaign of 1813. As a reward for his brilliant services, on October 16 during the Battle of Leipzig, Poniatowski was made a Marshal of France and entrusted with the dangerous duty of covering the French Army's retreat. He heroically defended Leipzig, losing half his corps in the attempt, finally falling back slowly upon a bridge over the Weisse Elster River, near Leipzig. In the general confusion, the French blew up the bridge before he could reach it. Contesting every step with the overwhelming forces of his pursuers, Prince Józef refused to surrender, and covered with wounds plunged into the river. There he died. He was an inspiration for Polish freedom fighters throughout a number of armed conflicts, but especially during the November Uprising of 1830, since many of its leaders had served under Poniatowski's command during the Napoleonic Wars. The Duchy of Warsaw, which Napoleon had created and Poniatowski defended, remained as a residual Polish state to the end of the Partitions period.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B3zef_Poniatowski

I made extensive research of his Polish military battle uniform and was forced to do the entire minifigure almost from scratch with a custom czapka, I designed two custom tursos and even his saddle.I tried to make it as historically accurate I could especially the design of the czapka, the medals on the tursos, the zigzag identifications of rank, as well as the overall layout with the collars, buttons, strings etc. I used these paintings AND MANY MORE as my references:

Prince_Joseph_Poniatowski.PNG

poniatowski_general.jpg

Dabrowski.jpg

poniatowski_and_napoleon.jpg

Joseph_Antoine_Poniatowski.jpg

Suchodolski_Napoleon_i_Poniatowski.jpg

220px-Woodville_Richard_Caton_-_Poniatowski%27s_Last_Charge_at_Leipzig_1912.jpg

My Result

IMG_1381

6981033954_1dcf87be05_m.jpg

7127119553_7924bd092b_m.jpg

7127122301_987c7bec29_m.jpg

6981037438_1a6ffb284b_m.jpg

7127127221_8b57cd8008_m.jpg

7127127221_8b57cd8008_m.jpg

7127125579_3164798277_m.jpg

6981043682_98bb2f0227_m.jpg

6981045260_429ab2d8a9_m.jpg

7127133521_e074c1bdf6_m.jpg

6981030962_a59d52b114_m.jpg

How do we make images bigger for the forums?

General Staff is next! ;)

Edited by Sire Pirol