George G.

Avengers Sets - The Continuity Errors

I've just returned from watching Marvel's "Avengers Assemble" and I have to say, it was an amazing film :thumbup:

All throughout the film I was looking out for when the new LEGO sets appeared, but couldn't help noticing the vast amount of mistakes made. I know most of them were designed in the way they are to be more appealing to buy, but a lot of the problems could be changed really easily (mostly figure arrangements).

And if you're super-duper paranoid about any tiny little things getting spoiled before you watch it, I suggest you stop reading now :tongue: I'll try my best not too!

6865: Captain America's Avenging Cycle

Problems:

1) Captain America never once avenged on a motorbike (although Steve Rogers did, but that was just to go home and was on the screen for a second. It certainly wasn't a bright red one covered in stars though!)

2) The alien creatures never used those ground base turrets.

How it should have been done:

I believe they should have scrapped the cycle and the turret and used those pieces to add another one of the one-man flying vehicles, as these were fairly prominent in the scene. Furthermore, I believe the aliens could do with their lance-like weapons.

6867: Loki's Cosmic Cube Escape

Problems:

1) Iron Man didn't feature in this scene at all.

2) Hawkeye didn't have his bow with him and was wearing more of an army style outfit, not his Avenging attire.

3) Loki wasn't in his "gold" outfit and hadn't produced his helmet yet.

The truck is fine and is also very accurate. However, I think Iron Man should be replaced with Black Widow as she was the only one actually trying to chase down Loki and Hawkeye. Also, a slight change in costume printing would be appropriate for Loki and Hawkeye.

6868: Hulk's Helicarrier Breakout

Problems:

1) Hawkeye never flew one of the Shield Jets, and when he was in scenes on the Helicarrier he wasn't in his Avenging gear.

2) The set is far too small for the scenes it featured.

LEGO really missed a trick with this set. In my opinion, this should have been the flagship set and the Quinjet should have been shrunk (more info later). The whole middle sequence (I'd say 45mins-60 mins of the film took place on the helicarrier and included many crucial scenes. If this were the size of the Quinjet (perhaps a little bigger) then everything that happened could be included. I would add Dr Banner and perhaps one of Loki's goons to fly the jet instead of Hawkeye.

6869: Quinjet Aerial Battle

Problems:

1) Thor never rode in (or on :tongue: ) the Quinjet.

2) The set seems a little oversized seeing as they only really sit in the cockpit and jet off to a new location. I believe that the set is true to minifigure scale, but I do believe LEGO could have got away with going a little smaller

As I said before, I think this set should have been smaller, being reduced to the £50 kit. Also, I think Loki and Thor should be replaced with Captain America and Hawkeye, as they both ride with Black Widow to the battle.

Well what else could be done?

I think an amazing set from "Avengers Assemble", and one which could sell quite well, is the large robotic flying snake which can be seen in the film's trailer smashing through tower blocks. It would probably retail between £100-£150 and contain Hulk, Thor, Loki, Iron Man and perhaps 2 of those alien goons from the Quinjet and Avenging Cycle sets.

So what's your opinion (If you've seen the film of course)?

Edited by George G.

It's impossible for a toy made out of bricks to represent a movie 100%. These are toys aimed at kids so they need to add/remove things that will get kids to buy/want them. Also Lego had to start designing these sets months before the movie was finished filming so that makes it even harder to get everything spot on like the movie because so much can change during filming. I don't get the nitpicking how these sets aren't 100% accurate to the movie. Just enjoy getting Marvel characters in Lego form.

It's impossible for a toy made out of bricks to represent a movie 100%. These are toys aimed at kids so they need to add/remove things that will get kids to buy/want them. Also Lego had to start designing these sets months before the movie was finished filming so that makes it even harder to get everything spot on like the movie because so much can change during filming. I don't get the nitpicking how these sets aren't 100% accurate to the movie. Just enjoy getting Marvel characters in Lego form.

I get where you're coming from my friend, I just think there were some easy minifigure swaps they could have made to make the die hard fans and perfectionists a little happier. There's probably reason behind it all though :thumbup:

When LEGO makes these sets I believe the designers don't get to see the film beforehand in order to make the sets, so there's not much they could do to remedy these problem. However, another thing you'll find with most Avengers toys is that they feature things that aren't in the film (Iron Man's jet, 6 wheeled tank thing)

With Captain America, he does ride a bike at the end, and you can't see most of the bike, it may very well look like this! :laugh:

Loki's Cosmic Cube escape is part of two scenes, the scene when he escapes, but most importantly, the scene where he makes all those people bow and Iron Man attacks him along with the other Avengers. In this scene, Hawk-Eye DOES have his bow, Iron man is in it and Loki is wearing his full armour.

One thing you didn't mention about Hulk's set, is that the cage is far too small, and it doesn't have the dropping feature it did in the film. :classic:

Thor DID ride on the Quinjet in his first scene. Also the Quinjet is just right size, the designer did a great job tbh. I think though one problem that you didn't mention is that the Quinjet is supposed to have rotors on it's wings, and most importantly, a gatling gun on the prow.

I like your idea of making the giant monster thing though! :laugh:

I saw the film on thursday and loved it as well. I agree to some extent about the sets. The cosmic cube escape should of not included Ironman. I think it woulkd have benifited more if Nick fury was in this set in his chopper and made the set around the £30 price range. I understand that the reason they added Iron-man was so that lego could produce two of starks suits. When I was watching the movie as soon as I saw the giant snake I knew it would be awesome in lego form. I would also love to see an battle pack with two aliens a couple of S.H.I.E.L.D agents and a flyer thing. In the helicarrier breakout it would have been cool if they added Maria Hill and agent Coulson as well as they were important in those scenes as well.

[...] Loki's Cosmic Cube escape is part of two scenes, the scene when he escapes, but most importantly, the scene where he makes all those people bow and Iron Man attacks him along with the other Avengers. In this scene, Hawk-Eye DOES have his bow, Iron man is in it and Loki is wearing his full armour.

[...]

Thor DID ride on the Quinjet in his first scene. Also the Quinjet is just right size, the designer did a great job tbh. I think though one problem that you didn't mention is that the Quinjet is supposed to have rotors on it's wings, and most importantly, a gatling gun on the prow.

[...]

I had forgotten about possibly combining the truck scene with the bowing scene, a wise observation sir :thumbup:

I swear Thor literally just jumps on the Quinjet and jumps off again with Loki.

About the size of the Quinjet (I think I should have made myself a little clearer), it's a very accurate size in minifigure scale but I think that they could have gotten away with making it a little smaller like many other licensed sets.

About the size of the Quinjet (I think I should have made myself a little clearer), it's a very accurate size in minifigure scale but I think that they could have gotten away with making it a little smaller like many other licensed sets.

I see what you mean, like get rid of Loki's chariot.

Thanks for the comparisons! At least these sets are accurate enough, unlike the PoP sets :laugh:

I don't see why the Helicarrier breakout is such a popular set, especially with all the faults. There are basically no play features and the model doesn't even look good...

Thanks for the comparisons! At least these sets are accurate enough, unlike the PoP sets :laugh:

I don't see why the Helicarrier breakout is such a popular set, especially with all the faults. There are basically no play features and the model doesn't even look good...

Its most likely due to the giant green rage machine we call the Hulk :laugh:

But the PoP sets were so nice! I ended up having all 5 kits, and still haven't watched the film :blush:

If the Cosmuc Cube set contained Loki, Hawkeye & Black Widow it wouldn't sell.

It would have if it were scene accurate and included Nick Fury. Asides from Captain America never setting foot on a cycle the whole film I don't know what else they could have done for the cheapest set bearing in mind piece limitation and the need for an exclusive minifig.

These sets were probably designed 6 to 9 months ago and based off of sketches and design art. Also the sets have more need to be an adventure in a box than an accurate representation of any scenes from the movie.

This is my thoughts exactly and in addition to that;

Of course we love accuracy about everything but you are asking accuracy even with minifigs, Lego can't make a different version of a minifig just because he used some different outfit on that particular scene. I mean yeah, it happens on some other themes on some specific sets but the change should be significant to happen.

This is my thoughts exactly and in addition to that;

Of course we love accuracy about everything but you are asking accuracy even with minifigs, Lego can't make a different version of a minifig just because he used some different outfit on that particular scene. I mean yeah, it happens on some other themes on some specific sets but the change should be significant to happen.

I see where you're coming from, but I think LEGO could have done with some variation in figures because most of the figures appear twice in the same wave of sets which will leave kids having duplicates of characters which, unless you're playing cloning :tongue:, can't be too much fun for playing with.

But I do understand that they did have to keep some costs down.

Bear in mind kids will lose some of these figures, so doubles not such an issue. Not all putting them in plastic freezer bags and storing them never to see the light of day

Bear in mind kids will lose some of these figures, so doubles not such an issue. Not all putting them in plastic freezer bags and storing them never to see the light of day

Plus, a lot of kids aren't going to/want every set like we(AFOLs) do.

Plus, a lot of kids aren't going to/want every set like we(AFOLs) do.

Well, kids these days are all "want want want"! I'm pretty sure a lot of them do have the full range :tongue:

Well, kids these days are all "want want want"! I'm pretty sure a lot of them do have the full range :tongue:

I agree. If only I could buy the whole range... But these errors can't be fixed, and Lego makes them for playability. Plus, you have to admit that Cap's Cycle is pretty cool.

I think the changes made from movie to set was a pretty good and logical one. The Avenging Cycle, while not in the movie, is a pretty iconic Cap America piece and I think a bit of a nod to his fans in general. Plus it would have been tough to do any other small vehicle for him or the other Avengers since the only vehicles used off the top of my head is the jeep at the start (driven by Hill) the helicopter with Nick Fury and the Quinjet/giant floating ship, none of which would be feasible or sell as well as the Captain.

Iron Man is another selling point figure. Sure the AFOL's would be salivating over a Nick Fury figure, but most kids would take Iron Man I reckon, and there'd be a lot of kids who would get that set because they can't get the Quinjet due to cost. Plus why would we knock back Hawkeye having that awesome new bow mould just because it doesn't necessarily feature. It's like when Batman was given a whole bunch of batarangs in the original Bat-sets. Didn't need them all, but it's an awesome little add on, and adds playability for kids.

Lego will always lean a bit on the side of what would sell better/increase playability, and I think the choices they made make sense. The only thing I didn't get was including Hawkeye in the Hulk breakout set, I think it would have made more sense for Black Widow to be in that set given what happened on screen, but it's obvious they wanted somebody to drive the jet that wasn't a generic goon, and wanted to reuse that awesome bow mould. They saw Hawkeye as a nice easy in between option

I'm not too hung up on whether certain characters or accessories should or shouldn't have been in certain sets. I think trying to make a set into an exact representation of one particular scene limits the playability - I doubt many kids would want a Hawkeye fig without his bow. (And like others have said, toy designers usually just get a handful of brief clips and/or concept art to work with.) My only gripes are with some of the minifig designs, most notably the hair pieces for Black Widow and Hawkeye (both are easily fixed, or at least will be when LotR is out). And I agree that since Loki appears in three out of four sets, it would have been nice if one of them at least had an alternate outfit.

I agree with you on all points, with the exception of the fact that Thor did land on the top of the Quinjet at one point, if that counts as riding on it. Unfortunately, Lego probably:

a) didn't know everything that would happen in the movie

b) wouldn't want to spoil the plot

c) needed the sets to appeal to younger children, with plenty of cool heroes and vehicles

Honestly, I'm glad that they didn't (for some of the sets anyways) because now I can get Iron Man with Hawkeye and Loki in the Cosmic Cube Escape set, and we see Cap with his Motorbike (from his movie last year) in a Lego Set.

There were many errors as far as continuity, which is unfortunate and to be accurate it was Nick Fury that was chasing Loki and Hawkeye, not Black Widow...

I agree. If only I could buy the whole range... But these errors can't be fixed, and Lego makes them for playability. Plus, you have to admit that Cap's Cycle is pretty cool.

I've never really been a fan of the modern bike body. I think it's to wide I would have preferred the same bike as the one in wolverine chopper showdown. That said it would have need ed new colours maybe dark red with dark blue highlights or vis versa.

I've never really been a fan of the modern bike body. I think it's to wide I would have preferred the same bike as the one in wolverine chopper showdown. That said it would have need ed new colours maybe dark red with dark blue highlights or vis versa.

I totally agree. While it's true that the closest the Avengers film comes to a "Captain America cycle" is Steve Rogers on a normal motorbike, I think the set could have included a bike based loosely on the WW2 era one from his own film. It could have been produced in dark green or olive, or more likely just in grey with a few add on plates or tiles in red and/or blue if they wanted something more "superhero-y".

Captain%2BAmerica%2B-%2BFirst%2BAvenger_bike.jpg

I don't like the modern bike body either, particularly in the context of Captain America - it reminds me too much of the horrendous Reb Brown telemovies from the '70s! :sick:

CapMotorcycle.jpg

Edited by ED-209

Another small error I noticed between the film and sets is that in the Hulk set, the computer screen sticker shows Space Invaders whilst in the film the guy is playing Galaga :)