Oky

B-65 "Bumblebee" Starfighter

This is my entry for Rook's Epic Spring Contest on CABG. Personally, I don't think that something like this fits into the Star Wars universe, so I figured I'd post it here.

7123181557_130864bcb0.jpg

The B-65, nicknamed "Bumblebee", was an experimental fighter craft. With its extra large fuel tank and long anti-gravity wings, it was designed for long distance flight. Armed with two rapid fire front guns and a powerful, swiveling "Stinger" laser canon, it had some formidable firepower. It was renowned for it's loud humming engine. However, there were several design flaws, and with the introduction of more effective starfighters, it was soon phased out.

7123181561_edd4f971e6_z.jpg

It has a big detachable fuel tank in the back.

7123190655_9defe640b1_z.jpg

The cockpit features a large windscreen to offer optimal view and has two communication antennae for the pilot to stay in touch with the rest of his squadron.

7123181627_0612c0e25f_z.jpg

The stinger is a large swivel turret.

7123181907_c669c29228_z.jpg

When landed, the body is aligned with the ground, the wings are retracted, and the legs spread out for maximum stability. In flight mode, the cockpit is tilted down to give the pilot a better view and the fuel tank is lowered.

7123181835_b6a615e563_z.jpg

7123181791_242cc6b7c7_z.jpg

The wingspan of the B-65 is quite impressive.

7123190811_28a6ca8a59_z.jpg

Here's a close up of the humming engine this fighter is known for.

7123190809_3854296dd2_z.jpg

I hope you like it. Click any image to see a hi-res version on Flickr.

That is very nice looking. Insect-inspired fighters don't seem to be all that common (though I remember seeing a Flickr group a while back that had a lot). I really like all the articulation between body segments.

I love the concept of animal-ispired fighters, and this one is pretty hard to beat on that! :thumbup: The bee shape is instantly recogniseable, but it is still beleivable as a starfighter!

Great build, hope it wins!

D'oh!

I forgot to build one of these...

--

Beautiful build! you really captured that insect feel. The trans blue wings are so goregous. That red printed/stickered black brick in the back adds such a small yet awesome detail.

Really nicely done.

I think you'll do well on the contest - Good luck!~

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Glad you like it.

Insect-inspired fighters don't seem to be all that common (though I remember seeing a Flickr group a while back that had a lot).

Indeed. We need more insect(oid) fighters! :sweet:

Do you mean Lego Battle Bugs? Yes, there are quite a few good ones in there. My Bumblebee should fit right in, thanks. :wink:

Now that's what I call science fiction ! :moar:

An insect shaped fighting machine.....perfection, AWESOME design 'Oky' ! :moar:

D'oh!

I forgot to build one of these...

--

Beautiful build! you really captured that insect feel. The trans blue wings are so goregous. That red printed/stickered black brick in the back adds such a small yet awesome detail.

Really nicely done.

I think you'll do well on the contest - Good luck!~

How could you have forgotten! :tongue: You where when I was buying the prizes!

Oh yeah that's right you where building 24/7 for Ad Astra and Sick Kids Hospital. :blush:

Edited by Rook

Nice work. The blend of insect and mechanical reminds me of watching the 4 original LEXX movies.

If I show this to my boys I'm sure they'll be trying to build them. We have LEGO wars across the living room, and they are always looking for something to battle my Exoforce Storm Lashers.