Scrubs

[Software] MecaBricks - Online Design Tool

LDD:

R mouse to rotate camera.

Middle button no use. (should use to pan)

Shift L mouse to pan

R/L Arrows of the keyboard to rotate parts 90 degrees, but opposite direction as Mecabricks.

LDD: L mouse drag to border select, Mecabricks have to press M key first.

Hotkeys:

LDD Mecabricks Founction

c d copy

h m hinge

d del delete

LDD import has been added to the workshop. Just upload you .lxf file and it will be converted to Mecabricks format!

Parts that are not yet available are ignored for the moment.

Thanks to Sim and wlange for adding the conversion data for all the mecabricks parts.

Hello @scrubs

thanks for the unbelievable project first of all. It's totally out of mind!!!

Do you will release in the near future a sort of Building Instructions function?

thanks

regards

Hello and thank you :-)

Yes, it is the big project that I want to complete in 2016. I have the workflow but now I need to make it happen - meaning find the time to write 1000s line of code.

Yes, it is the big project that I want to complete in 2016. I have the workflow but now I need to make it happen - meaning find the time to write 1000s line of code.

OH YEAH!

THAT'S A W E S O M E!!!!!

thanks Scrubs

you are great!

Scrubs, I sent you an email through the mecabricks website from aa@... hope you got it.

bravo encore pour cet impressionnant projet.

Also if you have scanned stickers and can take a photo of minifigs and others prints so we can add it to official library

you can contact me by pm here or on Mecabricks ( nickname Stas )

Have a good time)

Scrubs, I sent you an email through the mecabricks website from aa@... hope you got it.

bravo encore pour cet impressionnant projet.

Yes, got it. Thank you very much ;-)

Stas is the new drawing Guru of Mecabricks. A big thank you to him for all those new decorated pieces added almost everyday!

I recently added the support for shadows in the Mecabricks viewport. Result is actually quite good. It works with the following types of lights: Sun, Point and Spot. I made a little video to show how it works. That is very simple anyway. 

Here is a proof of concept of the Mecabricks future. This is really exciting to see what can be achieved in a browser. Please find below a screenshot and a video of my development version of Mecabricks. I really believe it is next level and not seen before in a LEGO CAD Software.

48186055717_25aeb62519_h.jpg

Mecabricks Proof of Concept by Nicolas Jarraud, on Flickr

Edited by Scrubs

Actually, there is currently a limit of 5MB for the file to upload. I just noticed that I doesn't display any error message if the file size is above.

Glitter and Speckle materials are now properly rendered in the Mecabricks player which has been also fully rewritten and moved to a different material system in order to be ready for all the new features that I will bring in the next few months.

I am also working on the part system and trying to find ways to increase the quality while keeping or reducing the amount of data transfered. Here is a quick video of my development version. This is what Mecabricks will look like very soon.

Amazing work Scrubs! I'd love to see added a "statistics" tab. 
Like hours spent on the project, dimensions in cm/inches, some "stats for nerds" like youtube

I have been doing a lot of work on the part library and the Mecabricks player recently. Here is a little update to show my work in progress.

The player supports custom lights - that can be added in the workshop - as well as shadows and compositing options.

All parts need to be upgraded too. You can notice on the tyre the different level of roughness as well as the text. Some of the other elements in this model also include mould lines and other details. That will be a very big task to modify the parts one by one and it will probably take a good year but I think it will be really worth it. 

After a month of hard work, I finally completed my demo model based on set 70672 Cole's Dirt Bike. It is available here for everybody to try. From a concept I started a couple of months ago I am now close to the production version. I don't believe that any of the other 3D software currently provide this visual quality. Now the next step is to implement all of this in the workshop as well as the whole Mecabricks eco-system - Blender add-ons,  online render mode, etc.

Here is a list of what will be possible with the new system:

• Fake bevels
  • Mould lines and engraving for all parts
  • Knobs, tubes and pins are not part of the shell geometry anymore and can be substituted at render time
  • LEGO logo on studs of multiple types
  • Parametric surface finish (real roughness)
  • Base materials of any decorated or multi-material parts can be changed
  • Realistic speckle and glitter materials
  • Eevee support for Mecabricks add-on
  • Custom lighting, shadows and post-processing available to customise the models in the 3D player.

48583460442_c7a834f5b8_h.jpgMecabricks Development by Nicolas Jarraud, on Flickr

Edited by Scrubs

I started the proper integration of the new part system in Mecabricks. The first stage include the redesign of the part manager with an easy configurator. I thought that it was also the good time to include the support for custom decorations that so many people ask for. Here is a short video showing what has been already made. This is also a little taste of what the workshop will be capable of.

Edited by Scrubs

A little update that may interest some of you guys. We started to test the custom decoration configurator. Still some work to do but it is looking nice and easy to use.

Hello,

The new Mecabricks part manager is now released for everybody. You can already play with custom decorations however remember that they are currently only accessible here, not in the workshop yet. Have fun!

WWZzW2j.jpg

New video to show the latest development of the part manager. This is a presentation of a section which is mainly for myself but I am also putting a lot of work into it to make it nice and easy to use. After updating a few parts, it looks better than I imagine at the start. The new format requires lots of textures and metadata and this tool will allow to create and tweak stuff very easily. I probably have to spend another one or two weeks on it to complete this app that I started two months ago.

The Mecabricks platform has been updated after more than 6 months of research and development. Most of the code has been rewritten and modernized to enjoy the latest 3D development.

A new part system has been designed with a much more realistic look even in real time. The current library is just shy of 20K elements including moulds and decorations. They will slowly be updated however it is not really an issue as both systems work seamlessly together. Among the new features I can name:

• Moulds marks/references on parts
  • Possibility to change the base material(s) of any decorated elements. Dual moulded elements can have the materials changed independently.
  • Speckle and glitter materials are properly displayed in the workshop and the player
  • User can add custom decorated elements in their own private part library

And on a more technical note:

• HDR environment maps are properly handled for a nice lighting including options to change the intensity, saturation and the rotation.
  • Node based material system
  • Lite and Advanced Blender Add-ons rewritten to take advantage of the new part system
  • And much more!

49393265992_e1899d7c44_h.jpg

Cole's Dirt Bike by Nicolas Jarraud, on Flickr

49392591053_2e05552698_h.jpg

Cole's Dirt Bike by Nicolas Jarraud, on Flickr