Ralph_S

MOC: Mercedes Econic turntable ladder

In the last few months I've built several models that I haven't posted on Eurobricks, but for this one I decided to make an exception.

Next week I'll be traveling to the UK to attend AFOLCon and The LEGO Show in Manchester and I built this model for the occassion. I've displayed military models at shows in the UK many times, but this time around I wanted something that was civilian as well as recognisably British. A few months ago I already built a British Police car and an Ambulance. I felt that the twosome wouldn't be complete without a fire engine of some sort. The vehicle I chose to build is a Mercedes Econic turntable ladder as used bye the London Fire Brigade.

The model has a two-piece extendable ladder that is approximately 70 cm tall when fully extended.

6955310228_cf10a0647f.jpg

Mercedes Econic turntable ladder (1) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

The turntable ladder uses a Mercedes Econic chassis. The Econic was designed with a low cab and a low step into the cab. This makes it particularly suitable for uses where the driver or passengers have to frequently step in and out of the vehicle, for instance for distribution or refuse trucks. It also means that with an Econic chassis the overall height of a ladder truck can be lower than if it were to use a conventional truck chassis and cab, allowing the truck to go under low bridges.

7101378145_dfe5d3f72b.jpg

Mercedes Econic turntable ladder (2) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

British emergency vehicles typically have a pattern of chevrons on the back, increasing their visibility.

Cabin doors and equipment hatches can be opened, the outriggers can be extended and raised and the model also has an old 9V Light and system for the roof lights and siren.

7101377549_722909ab15.jpg

Mercedes Econic turntable ladder (7) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

Here are all three vehicles together.

6953382370_1448db9fdc.jpg

British Emergency Vehicles (1) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

I am very much looking forward to displaying these (as well as my collection of Dutch police vehicles) at AFOLCon/ the LEGO Show and look forward to showing them to those of you who'll be there in person. If you're considering going, if only as a visitor, do so! It'll be grand.

Cheers,

Ralph

Edited by Ralph_S

Thanks for making me feel even worse about not coming to AFOLCon...

It looks amazing, and I'm glad to see that you keep the use of stickers at a minimum and use the bricks to color the most.

Super cool moc,I look forward to seeing you in Manchester.:grin:

Thank you. Less than a week mate.

Thanks for making me feel even worse about not coming to AFOLCon...

It looks amazing, and I'm glad to see that you keep the use of stickers at a minimum and use the bricks to color the most.

It's a shame you are not coming. It would have been nice to meet you. Building the colour scheme using bricks rather than resorting to stickers is part of the fun if building vehicles like this, albeit expensive in terms of 1x1 plates that it requires. :hmpf_bad:

Wow i love how detailed all of your cars are! Nice job.

tim

Thank you very much.

Very nice indeed! Sell it to Windsor park ;)

Thanks. You know, I figured that they'd have some fire engines there and spent a fair bit of time searcing flickr flickr and bricklink to see whether I could find any pictures. Perhaps I should have searched longer, but I didn't find any!

Cheers,

Ralph

Very nice fire truck! reminds me of the ones i used to see in England growing up as kid. :classic:

Nice truck! I look forward to seeing it on Thursday at afolcon! its gonna be cool to meet a few people off the forum there too!

Looks great. As always I appreciate the visible studs and use of bricks over stickers. I also like your including miniand people with your vehicles.

Nice truck! I look forward to seeing it on Thursday at afolcon! its gonna be cool to meet a few people off the forum there too!

I can only make it over the weekend(sat,sun,mon).:blush:

I can only make it over the weekend(sat,sun,mon).:blush:

The weekends better than nothing dude! See ya there.... Now I'll stop hijacking this thread! Ralph is your green scania with the knuckleboom crane coming? That's probably my favourite out of your models....

Now I'll stop hijacking this thread!

Ralph is your green scania with the knuckleboom crane coming? That's probably my favourite out of your models....

:blush::laugh:

Now you are doing it your self,any way let's move on.........

Thanks guys.

It will be great to meet some of you in person.

This model is Fantastic...! Ralph are you going to make the trip to Brickfair again this year..?

I certainly intend to. I look forward to seeing your latest stuff and having a chat. I had a blast last year.

The weekends better than nothing dude! See ya there.... Now I'll stop hijacking this thread! Ralph is your green scania with the knuckleboom crane coming? That's probably my favourite out of your models....

Oh my, that's been done for at least a year. I think I may have even posted it here when it was done, but anyway, here it is.

5574509920_0b1f90acf0.jpg

Scania with Nooteboom stepframe trailer (7) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

5573924713_e682f53d8b.jpg

Scania with Nooteboom stepframe trailer (1) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

5573921449_8516bdaf82.jpg

Scania with HIAB crane (5) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

Cheers,

Ralph

For those of you who like it, It's on Cuusoo. Your support would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ralph

Fantastic Model. It looks just like the real thing! :thumbup:

[...] but this time around I wanted something that was civilian as well as recognisably British. [...]

With a truck manufactured by a German company, modified by another German company? :D

Fantastic Model. It looks just like the real thing! :thumbup:

With a truck manufactured by a German company, modified by another German company? :D

Thank you very much. It is a German built truck, indeed, but in the livery of a British fire department. It worked, by the way. People loved it.

Her's the full display.

7177409904_3d20987c6c.jpg

My models at AFOLCon/ The LEGO Show by Mad physicist, on Flickr

Cheers,

Ralph