CopMike

New survey from TLG

I find this servey pointless. Some of the previous ones were much better, because they allowed us AFOLs to voice our opinion on some very important matters - quality, huge Lego boxes filled with air, lots of stickers in the sets...

I find this servey pointless. Some of the previous ones were much better, because they allowed us AFOLs to voice our opinion on some very important matters - quality, huge Lego boxes filled with air, lots of stickers in the sets...

...All of which are complaints I'm sure they're well-aware of by now. I think this survey could actually be extremely useful to them since it asks a variety of questions they haven't asked before. I'm curious what they intend to do with the information. Seems like with some of the questions they could be hoping to improve their online communities like Rebrick and the LEGO Message Boards. And those could definitely be considered "important matters", as from my experience the LEGO Message Boards are a wasteland of non-constructive conversation and Rebrick does not offer nearly as meaningful an experience as other AFOL communities.

It should also be considered that in previous surveys, the questions about "issues that bothered you about LEGO products" tended to involve choosing from a list of responses created by other AFOLs, or creating your own responses which would then show up for other AFOLs. Perhaps one reason those types of questions have been eliminated is that either they were unreliable in getting meaningful results (after all, not all AFOL responses would show up on everyone's version of the survey, and there might be six or seven different ways of phrasing the same problem), or that they would be difficult to compile responses from now that the survey is being done in so many languages.

In general, though, these surveys exist to get TLG useful information, not just to let AFOLs blow off steam. There are several reasons why AFOL criticisms like those you mention might not be useful to them-- either because they can't afford to go with other options, or they've found the supposed "problems" don't really impact sales significantly, or they've already taken steps to correct the problems (as in the case of oversized packaging and certain quality-related complaints).

TLG asks the questions that they feel are important, which in this case largely revolve around the personal background and commmunity involvement of AFOLs-- and whatever they plan to do with the information, I appreciate that they care about these things that set AFOLs apart from their average fans rather than just about general customer complaints.