Sign in to follow this  
Daedalus304

MOD: 8-Wide Emerald Night

Hello all! The next train I'm posting this week is my 8-wide Emerald Night!

The Emerald Night is one of my favorite LEGO sets, and in my opinion one of the most beautiful engines TLG's released. However, even though it's a larger engine it was starting to look a bit small in comparison to my 8-wide MOCs; and that had to change. Looking around the internet, I was unable to find any 8-wide Emerald Nights, so although it's a MOD I figured I would share it anyways.

My goal with this model was to keep the spirit and design as in-tact as I could, same amount of wheels, same piston design, I wanted it to be easily identifiable as an Emerald Night. So the things on the my modification/construction agenda were as follows: The boiler needed to be as close to fully "round" as I could manage (The original was a bit off-shape), I wanted to add a more prominent running board over the wheels AND I wanted it to sit a plate lower, plus I wanted there to be an accurate light gap between the boiler and the floor below. And last, but not least, that teeny tender needed to be expanded.

img_0694s.png

img_0696s.png

img_0697s.png

img_0698s.png

img_0699s.png

Gallery, once moderated.

For the most part I was able to build it by combining two engines, although I did need a couple extras. It took me probably 5 or 6 iterations before i settled on a design I really liked. Just looking at the 8-wide may not show many appreciable differences, although my 8-wide EN dwarfs an unmodified one with the extra bulk. There were plenty of extra parts leftover, enough for me to construct another engine which I shall also post shortly.

I hope you all like the engine! Any comments or criticisms are welcome!

One of my favourite Lego sets of all time the EN and your modifications are fantastic, I :wub: them....even more realistic now !

Excellent re-engineering there 'Daedalus304', though I'll leave mine as it is. :sweet:

Brick On ! :classic:

One of my favourite Lego sets of all time the EN and your modifications are fantastic, I :wub: them....even more realistic now !

Excellent re-engineering there 'Daedalus304', though I'll leave mine as it is. :sweet:

I do remember seeing a larger version of the EN somewhere on this forum (about 2 years back) but this is a nice clean rendition which works very well. I bought a few spare EN engines to do pretty much the same thing - as I also wanted wider, longer carriages. In this scaling it just looks correct.

I also bought two to make the Garret engine from Sava Works, but not got around to it yet... Perhaps an 8 wide rendition would look the part

[edit]

Could not find the link, but an interesting Americanised one I did miss

Edited by roamingstudio

Thank you! Someday I may try to put together an LXF file in case anyone wants to try to mod theirs like this.

I do remember seeing a larger version of the EN somewhere on this forum (about 2 years back) but this is a nice clean rendition which works very well. I bought a few spare EN engines to do pretty much the same thing - as I also wanted wider, longer carriages. In this scaling it just looks correct.

I also bought two to make the Garret engine from Sava Works, but not got around to it yet... Perhaps an 8 wide rendition would look the part

[edit]

Could not find the link, but an interesting Americanised one I did miss

Modifying the carriages is definitely on my future to-do list, although after seeing those pictures I'm fairly certain I want them 7-wide now (I'd been at odds trying to figure out what scale for the cars). I'm not sure how I missed that other engine, it looks nice with the dark red on it; although it's visually more different than I was shooting for. I too have been eyeing Sava's Garret engine, perhaps someday soon I'll have that alongside the EN.

I found the other 8 wide thread here by Captain Greenhair. Also a slightly Americanised one - but some beautiful coaches.

Greetings Daedalus304,

I have only just come across your post about an 8 -wide mod. Do you have instructions for how to make this 8-wide mod?

Cheers,

J

Edited by jamigra

That would be interesting. I love the EN and still run it at shows, with a string of coaches not much different from the originals. Love to rebuild it all at 8 wide someday.