Sign in to follow this  
xtremegoogler

Review: 3863 Kokoriko

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

3863 Kokoriko

Year released: 2012

115 pieces, no microfigs

RRP €9,99 / £7.99

Picked this game up last week at a dutch toy shop that gave away a free lego golden dice with every board game.

Did not have high expectations of this one, because the box art looked kinda silly to me.

I mean collecting eggs, how can you design a game around that?

6966611994_b6c58ab89b_z.jpg

Back of the box

7112688903_78ebb1b2f8_z.jpg

Inside the box we have the lego dice, two bags with parts, building instructions and the rules of the game.

7112691311_b47d8190e9_z.jpg

First bag has 33 white "eggs" (dome tops) and one golden egg and some parts to create the brown and grey chickens.

7112691269_7676e7a82b_z.jpg

Second bag has some more interesting parts, even though one would probably not buy Kokoriko as a parts pack.

7112690973_211c350207_z.jpg

These round white plates with open stud are only used in lego games:

6966614324_d52f177966_z.jpg

And, finally, a closer look at the rare pink parts:

7112690633_76c797be1f_z.jpg

Building the dice:

6966613964_13c567f18d_z.jpg

Building four grey chickens:

6966613730_83c055e85d_z.jpg

Building the three brown chickens and the rooster:

6966613704_def7ac1746_z.jpg

Final look of the game:

7112689897_9db45e42ce_z.jpg

7112689629_68721deabc_z.jpg

I do not have the energy to explain the game myself, so I scanned the rules.

6966613174_b6b689df80_c.jpg

Since you can make two "worms" with the included pieces (one with and one without a face), we play the game with the houserule that if you roll the pink face, you can guess which piece is the "worm". If you guess wrong, you have to remove one of your eggs, if you guess right, you get eggs for all of your chickens, grey and brown.

So what do I think of this game?

Well, the box says 6+, but you can play it already with three and four-year-olds, older kids may even find it a little boring.

Children learn to count, what doubling is (rooster) and to assess risks (should I take an egg or steal a chicken).

In short: excellent, affordable little filler game, if you have children in the age range 3-6 years, I recommend picking up this game, otherwise skip this one.

Edited by xtremegoogler
Indexed

Thanks for reviewing this! :sweet: I'd just suggest adding a little summary of the set information at the top - price, part count etc.

It's a cute little game! I have to disagree a little - I think I might just get this as a parts pack - the dalek pieces are always useful, and I'll never complain about pink tiles. I think those open stud round plates might be useful too.

I'm a little unclear on why they've included so many pink tiles in the set, when there's only supposed to be one worm, but I guess your alternative play works well.

Thanks for reviewing this! :sweet: I'd just suggest adding a little summary of the set information at the top - price, part count etc.

You're right, added some more info.

There are some variants in the manual that use the extra pink tiles, but they don't work that well either. You have to be the first to get the worm, and if you're an adult, you're bound to be quicker to respond than a small child, so that's not very fair.

Thanks for commenting!

Edited by xtremegoogler

Are you sure that that pink thing is a worm? I would only buy this for the rare pieces. Nice review, anyways!

Are you sure that that pink thing is a worm? I would only buy this for the rare pieces. Nice review, anyways!

If you look at the instructions, I think it's supposed to be the head of the worm coming above the ground, or something.

It's a very constipated worm. Didn't you know that bowel troubles are common among the bright pink variety of worms?

This is a cute game. The rules actually make sense and there's a little bit of thought in playing it, which is great. I think it is a pretty good parts pack too; the dalek pieces as Rufus said, plus copious amounts of the stud with hole and some pink parts, plus the constipated faces. Excellent all around.

I got this game yesterday based solely on the adorable cover. Hah!

Since then, my four year old and I have played it about 10 times. It is easy, fun and adorable. My daughter especially likes stacking her hens on top of the eggs and screaming "Kokoriko" first when we roll blue. Yeah, I know the rules say to yell "cockadoodle" or what ever but Kokoriko sounds so kawaii. :wub:

I would also highly recommend this to anyone with kids in the 4+ range. Or for a constipated worm face.