sok117

Purist Superhero Figures

2 minutes ago, Legocity2713 said:

I use the Atlanteans’ torso from the new Aquaman set or Thor’s torso from the first Avengers movie but with different arms. Any gold torso with armor works imo though.

Looks fine, I could try, thank you!

I just picked up the Black Panther sets yesterday, and it got me thinking.... And I can't really come up with anything so thought I'd ask (You guys are more knowledgeable about pieces than I; I basically just collect Super Heroes with a odd set here and there so not familiar with many pieces),

Anyone have any purist ideas for Shuri (I know we're getting an official one with IW, but I really like the BP movie look over the rather plain looking one), M'Baku, or W'Kabi? Or thoughts on legs that would be superior to the non-printed ones on Nakia or Okoye? And any head/face that would work for an unmasked T'Challa?

Someone in another thread suggested General Zod (LBMs2) arms for CW/Silver Suit BP, which might look ok with Zod (man of steel legs) to be a fully printed fig.

Also any ideas on dark brown female heads/faces that are single sided? I am not going to go all out and make a whole army, but I am going to try to get at least 1 or 2 extra Nakia torso's for Dora Millaje (or maybe just Ayo!).

Thanks for taking the time to read :)

11 hours ago, The-Daryl said:

I just picked up the Black Panther sets yesterday, and it got me thinking.... And I can't really come up with anything so thought I'd ask (You guys are more knowledgeable about pieces than I; I basically just collect Super Heroes with a odd set here and there so not familiar with many pieces),

Anyone have any purist ideas for Shuri (I know we're getting an official one with IW, but I really like the BP movie look over the rather plain looking one), M'Baku, or W'Kabi? Or thoughts on legs that would be superior to the non-printed ones on Nakia or Okoye? And any head/face that would work for an unmasked T'Challa?

Someone in another thread suggested General Zod (LBMs2) arms for CW/Silver Suit BP, which might look ok with Zod (man of steel legs) to be a fully printed fig.

Also any ideas on dark brown female heads/faces that are single sided? I am not going to go all out and make a whole army, but I am going to try to get at least 1 or 2 extra Nakia torso's for Dora Millaje (or maybe just Ayo!).

Thanks for taking the time to read :)

Even before the Black Panther sets were confirmed, I've looked at the Stass Allie head from Star Wars to make Dora Milaje. Its one sided, has some extra print that could work for a Wakandan warrior type feel. Only issue is she has blue/purple eyes, which could look kinda out of place.

Shuri: Maybe Ayesha's torso/legs with brown arms and hands. No idea what face could be used (I'm not entirely a fan of all the facial accessories she has in her combat scenes)

Im currently unsure about how to make M'Baku, but hopefully someone can give me a couple of ideas too :laugh:

8 hours ago, autorazr said:

That Granny is perfect, awesome job.  I've been trying to perfect my Mister Miracle and Barda and was thinking they'd need a granny too.

Thank you! I've actually been trying to make a decent Scott and Barda for awhile, too, but I can never get my hands on the right parts. I can't wait to see you've got in store for them!

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:08 PM, Quicksilver838 said:

Even before the Black Panther sets were confirmed, I've looked at the Stass Allie head from Star Wars to make Dora Milaje. Its one sided, has some extra print that could work for a Wakandan warrior type feel. Only issue is she has blue/purple eyes, which could look kinda out of place.

Shuri: Maybe Ayesha's torso/legs with brown arms and hands. No idea what face could be used (I'm not entirely a fan of all the facial accessories she has in her combat scenes)

Im currently unsure about how to make M'Baku, but hopefully someone can give me a couple of ideas too :laugh:

That Stass Allie is a GREAT idea! She's a bit pricey for a head, but I am shopping around now :) I don't find the eye color that odd at all, when you have the markings/tattoos that makes it feel a little more Wakandian.

Ayesha body is also a good idea and I have her already, just need to get some spare arms, the hairpiece from ghostbusters, and settle on a head.

I am still browsing different parts for M'Baku and W'Kabi (and legs to replace Nakia and Okoye's, and a decent/convincing "unmasked" head for T'Challa) I'll post if I find anything I think clicks :)

Thanks for the great ideas!

On 7-1-2018 at 12:45 PM, ReZourceman said:

Wonder Twins hair is perfect for Namor.

Hahaha i was waiting for the wonder twins to use their hair for Namor, but i just wanted to give you some props for the awesome video. Hilarious and thrilling.

I was hoping it was that color.  Has anyone tried swapping out her leg pieces yet like was discussed when she was first leaked/revealed?

After spending an hour or two on BrickLink looking for pieces I might not be familiar with (to use for an unmasked T'Challa and other BP customs), I am disappointed to report my findings:

There are only THREE reddish brown/Black heads with beards in their database.

Mordo (Dr. Strange) Close, but for me - A little more aggressive than pensive looking.
BA Baracus (A-Team Dimension) Beard is too thick, and also angry looking. Maybe okay for M'Baku? Have to see the film.
Barry (Jurassic World) A goatee instead of a full beard. Which might actually work for W'Kabi, so there was a find. I'm not sure if hair would be better off Mr. T's Mohawk, or that orcish Mohawk from Hobbit (But I am think some LOTR/Hobbit body might replicate the movie look?)

For female PoC, I could find:
Valkyrie (Thor) is nougat (medium dark flesh) instead of reddish brown, but the facial markings would work for a lighter skinned, tattooed Dora; I *think the head is dual sided though (bricklink shows two pictures but they are both the same) So it might require erasing a side, or a hair piece
Barbara Gordon (LBM, Uniformed Police officer) again nougat. But it seems to be single sided.
Mae Jemison (Woman of NASA) This is good one, BUT it's double sided, and in a popular set.
Patty Tolan (Ghostbusters) Again, a good one, but double sided.
Storm (X-Men) Double sided, Full white eyes on one side (which may or not be ok depending on your aesthetic).
Stass Allie (Star Wars) THIS IS NOT MY FIND, someone suggested it to me, and I still think it's perfect!

Although I am happy that I found some things that might prove useful (to someone), I have to admit - Now I am even more disappointed neither set included an alternate unmasked BP head (and that "Tactical" Killmonger just has a generic/looks nothing like Michael B. Jordan head).

At least with the DST minimates you can remove the masks and they look close enough to recognize. LEGO really doesn't have a lot of variety in PoC heads.(Considering I went through hundreds to find a handful).

Anyways I hope it helps a customizer! If anyone uses any of the ideas please post them I would love to see! 

Edited by The-Daryl

5 hours ago, The-Daryl said:

...LEGO really doesn't have a lot of variety in PoC heads.(Considering I went through hundreds to find a handful).

Anyways I hope it helps a customizer! If anyone uses any of the ideas please post them I would love to see! 

This is why yellow is superior.  Representation is great but at the end of the day, its still mostly white men being made.  Yellow is representative of everyone.

8 hours ago, The-Daryl said:

Maybe okay for M'Baku? Have to see the film.

I have no Idea who M'Baku so this might not be helpful but here are some more bearded heads in reddish brown.

71014: Jérôme Boateng
70912-1: Arkham Asylum (Aaron Cash)
853651: The LEGO Batman Movie Accessory Set (GCPD OFFICER )

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:39 AM, autorazr said:

This is why yellow is superior.  Representation is great but at the end of the day, its still mostly white men being made.  Yellow is representative of everyone.

Different strokes, my friend. I personally dislike yellow; looking like no one (imo) does not make it representative of everyone. For me, part of what brought me out of my dark ages was seeing various real world flesh tones :) It's just disappointing to see how limited their "diversity" is but, it is what it is.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:58 PM, Agent Kallus said:

I have no Idea who M'Baku so this might not be helpful but here are some more bearded heads in reddish brown.

71014: Jérôme Boateng
70912-1: Arkham Asylum (Aaron Cash)
853651: The LEGO Batman Movie Accessory Set (GCPD OFFICER )

M'Baku is a character in the upcoming Black Panther film; played by Winston Duke (in the comics he's Man-Ape). He has a full beard, so while I appreciate the goatee head suggestions, none really work. Thanks for taking the time to post them, though :)

(W'Kabi, another character from the film, has a semi goatee, which is why I listed the Barry head - most of the men in the film have full beards)

On 1/11/2018 at 10:39 AM, autorazr said:

Hey a while back i requested a few figs from you. Y'know Kyd Wykkyd and a few others...any chance you have pics of them?

On the bright side, the Black Panther sets increased the head options for black women by 50%! There are now 6! ...okay, not much of a bright side, but it's something! I might even get to finish my Peek-A-Boo figure after all this time! 

On 1/11/2018 at 3:12 AM, The-Daryl said:

BA Baracus (A-Team Dimension) Beard is too thick, and also angry looking. Maybe okay for M'Baku? Have to see the film.

I just saw this one on Bricklink, and it honestly looks perfect for M'Baku! It kinda makes me wish they would've made a third Black Panther set with him and Shuri, honestly! 

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting here

I have made Braniac 5. Artemis and Bizarro from Red Hood and the Outlaws and then there's also the same Shazam that most people have made already.

unnamed.jpg

unnamed.jpg

unnamed.jpg

On 1/5/2018 at 11:10 AM, autorazr said:

That Granny is perfect, awesome job.  I've been trying to perfect my Mister Miracle and Barda and was thinking they'd need a granny too.

Hey autorazr, long time no "see". I also love that Granny, Numbuh1Nerd. The Fourth World from Kirby has always been some of my favorite comic art. I did a bunch of the characters awhile back...like 5 years ago. I think they are somewhere around pg 20 in this thread, haha. So many better parts are out now, though, I have thought of revisiting them. Good to see you guys are still so active here.

On 1/13/2018 at 12:21 AM, Biggus_Brickus said:

Hey a while back i requested a few figs from you. Y'know Kyd Wykkyd and a few others...any chance you have pics of them?

They're in my pile of approx. 100 purist customs to take pics of.  I don't find the picture taking process as fun as making them so i let it build up over a long period of time and take pics of a few at at time.  Lego is just my third most time consuming hobby, I'll get around to it someday

On 1/16/2018 at 2:23 PM, Repeter said:

Hey autorazr, long time no "see". I also love that Granny, Numbuh1Nerd. The Fourth World from Kirby has always been some of my favorite comic art. I did a bunch of the characters awhile back...like 5 years ago. I think they are somewhere around pg 20 in this thread, haha. So many better parts are out now, though, I have thought of revisiting them. Good to see you guys are still so active here.

Yooooooo! What up man?  Remember the early days of this thread? Man, its been what like 4 years almost, maybe? Crazy.  

On 1/18/2018 at 8:18 AM, autorazr said:

They're in my pile of approx. 100 purist customs to take pics of.  I don't find the picture taking process as fun as making them so i let it build up over a long period of time and take pics of a few at at time.  Lego is just my third most time consuming hobby, I'll get around to it someday

Ah ok. I was just curious. Sorry if that sounded rude