sok117

Purist Superhero Figures

Are all LEGO mini-figs purist? They all contain elements of a profession or a theme or character, but what is a purist LEGO mini-fig?!

Figures that don't contain non-Lego or third party parts or elements and also don't have any part of the original Lego piece modified.

A couple of general questions for building purist MOCs.

What the cheapest/easiest way to get extra head in human skin tones? Since they come from licensed sets, they tend to be expensive on bricklink as far as I have seen. If I build a nice MOC, I don't want to tear it apart to build the next one and would rather get more parts.

I have used bricklink to buy parts for my creations, but I haven't used pick-a-brick. I am turned off by having to type in the set number and dig for interesting parts. Is there a better way to go about it? And how is their pricing compared to bricklink? Shipping?

Thanks! I'll post my bigger purist X-Men lineup in a couple of days.

Pick-A-Brick usually has poor options as well. Bricklink is really the best way to get individual pieces like that. And the problem with flesh heads is that they generally come from the more expensive licensed sets of course, so they will always be priced accordingly. Now there are still lots of flesh heads out there. Something specific and only in one set years ago is going to cost more than a head they reuse year after year.

Other than that I suppose you could go to Craigslist or what have you and try to find big lots of minifigures, but there's not a whole lot of options when it comes to minifigures at a good price.

Here's my recipe for a New 52 comics based Caitlyn Snow Killer Frost, based on how she appears in Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham, as seen here.

Hair: Dr. D. Zaster's or Crazy Scientist's

Head: Ice Queen's

Cape: Sir Fangar's

Torso: Necromancer of Dol Guldur's with white hands

Legs: Syndrome's with black hips (or plain black)

I admit, It's not perfect, but it's the best we can do at the moment, until we get proper black pants with white boots. :(

Edited by TheBigRedCheese

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Have you seen the new CMF series?

The ice queen might be good for getting bits of a Killer Frost and the penguin could be used for a Penguin henchman.

A few pages ago, Zilcho made a post about how the CMF 16 series Ice Queen could be used for Killer Frost, and as I thought about that more and more, I realized just how many things we can do with this new series, so I decided I'd list out what I thought of, instead of letting it stick around as an old wall of text reply and get buried amongst all the other things here. I'm a DC fanboy at heart, so these are somewhat biased, but I'm sure those Marvel fanpeople can help pick out what works for Marvel from this.

• Wildlife Photographer - Her arms, torso, and possibly legs work well for Atom, Red Tornado, and a mini-fig scale Colossal Boy (amongst the many other heroes with similar red/blue color schemes), her parka hood would look nice on Captain Cold (or the henchpeople of any ice-themed villain), and her penguin can be one of the penguins sometimes seen with Penguin, or it can supplement Bwanna Beast/Animal Man.
  • Penguin Suit dude - He can be a henchperson (or robot) for the Penguin, or something like that.
  • Bow and arrow dude - His entire figure can be used to modify Green Arrow, or be used as Yao Fei, or even the comic book versions of Robin Hood.
  • Ice Queen - Her 'ice beams' can be used for Cloak's light beams, her face can be used for various versions of Killer Frost or Live Wire, or other light-blue skinned, female supervillains, and her hair, sans crown, can be used for Ice.
  • Dog Prize Winner - His hair can be used for a first appearance Captain America or Booster Gold, his light blue arms could work for Killer Frost or another ice-themed villain, and his dog can supplement Bwanna Beast/Animal Man.
  • Devil costume kid - His tail would work for Marvel's Azazel, his torso would work for CW Flarrowverse civilian Roy Harper or anyone else who likes wearing red hoodies, and his pitchfork can work as a Bat-Trident or something of that nature.
  • Mech girl - Her printed arm, armor and legs would look great on Brainiac, and her hair would work for some versions of Killer Frost.
  • Backpacker - His hair definitely has some use(s), but I can't think of anything specific at the moment.
  • Spy- As BiggusBricks suggested, his hair might work for Hawkeye, his legs can solve my tactical legs problem and they'd look good on the UCS Tumbler Batman. A lot of Batman related stuff could work for him, and his parts could also work for spies within comic book universes as well. EDIT: Given the 'A' on his suit, he could make a good army builder for A.R.G.U.S. agents from DC Comics.
  • Banana suit guy - Banana Suit Deadpool is apparently a thing. 'Nuff said. To make it complete, Deadpool and the banana suit guy could be paired with the CMF series 2 Maraca Man's maracas. Also, he's technically not a superhero, but he could act as a mascot or something for the truck driver in the Gorilla Grodd Goes Bananas set. Also, the green shirt under his suit is very bright and comic-booky, so I'm sure there's someway that could be used as well.
  • Turban wearing scimitar wielder - His turban can be used for Super Sikh, his scimitar can add to Ra's al Ghul or Ubu (Ra's's manservant), and Ubu can also use his legs. Plus, his arms would be awesome for someone trying to make a yellow-skinned Wonder Woman.
  • Mariachi guy - His parts can work for an unoffical Mariachi Batman.
  • Spooky guy - Someone, somewhere on the Internet suggested using his torso for Punisher. His legs look like they work for Punisher as well.
  • Pirate - His sword can be used by Ra's or Ubu, his "scalp" piece looks particularly useful, and although his classification as a superhero is dubious, I'll include it here anyway: his anchor tatooed arm can be used for Popeye the Sailor Man.
  • Babysitter - Her hair can work for a pre-transformation Harley Quinn, when she still went by Harleen Quinzell.
  • Boxer - Her gloves can be used for Steve Rogers when he goes to the gym, Red Arrow's boxing glove arrow, Wildcat, and her hair, in that new color, has many, many uses I'm sure.

Please, let's keep the focus of this thread on purist superheroes figures.

Anyone interested in discussing the intricacies, materials, sources, and so on, of purist LEGO customs in general can and should do so in a dedicated topic (eventually by opening a new one if existing topics do not cover your interests already).

Thanks everybody, and let's keep discussing our beloved customs. :classic:

Dbt4ZHt.jpg

Cliff Steel "Robotman"

sco0ILL.jpg

Black Canary (Punkier modern version like the current issues)

AnNHLel.jpg

Azreal

8IMnHu0.jpg

Supergirl Armor Suit

lzHuzng.jpg

Robbie Reyes Ghostrider

8U8vvOM.jpg

The Punisher

GtRZDbg.jpg

The Maestro

KffEc0F.jpg

Mockingbird

iWgGt82.jpg

an Aged Cap

TnjpvAs.jpg

Darkchylde Ilyana Rasputin

Holy crap, your aged Captain America is totally Clint Eastwood:

cpCHTjJ.jpg

Coincidentally, I was gonna make a Maestro figure recently, same beard, same torso and head but I also really like the use of the shoulder spikes.

Anyway, that Maestro and Aged Cap are phenomenal. Great work! :)

Cliff Steel "Robotman" - Perfect! I must know where that helmet is from.

Black Canary (Punkier modern version like the current issues) - Not how I'm used to seeing her, but definitely cool.

Azrael - Not at all how I'm used to seeing him, but definitely unique and awesome

Supergirl Armor Suit - I've never seen this suit, but it looks awesome. I especially like your use of the Star Wars Senate Commando leg pieces and that Ninjago shoulder armor! I imagine that these mods would work just as well for an armored Superman, too.

Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider - Not really familar with this version of the character, but based on a quick Google search, he looks great! Nice use of the CMF Motorcycle Mechanic's skull belt, and Syndrome's hair! Also, where's that torso from?

The Punisher - Nice job combining Syndrome and the new Spooky Guy CMFs! I love it!

The Maestro - Perfect! :O

Mockingbird - It's almost like those pieces were made for her . . .

Aged Cap - Nice use of Mr. Incredible's receeding hairline, and the CMF

Darkchylde Ilyana Rasputin - Not really familar with this version of the character, but based on a quick Google search, she looks great!

MCU Erik Selvig as he appears in Thor: The Dark World:

First, when he's in the mental institution:

Hair: Mr. Incredible's

Head: Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore's ( :tongue::grin::laugh::devil: )

Torso: Hermione Granger's/Ginny Weasley's

Legs: Deathstroke's with dark blue hips

and second . . .

Here is my updated and expanded X-Men roster. Many of these are directly inspired by this forum (EBF PSF), so apologies for not crediting each of you individually.

As usual, idea, comments, suggestions are welcome. I'm looking for the best pieces for these characters by looking through BL for parts/colors, but I would love to hear from you.

Also, these are my favorite X-Men from across comics, cartoons, and movies, and video games. I am pretty satisfied with my list for my purposes, but which characters do you feel I have left out? Who deserves a spot on this roster? Dazzler? Firestar? Negasonic Teenage Warhead?

Original X-Men

28204557914_7c80541ceb.jpg

Professor X

Beast

Angel

Jean Grey (updated legs)

Iceman (TLG Electro)

Cylcops (TLG)

Giant-Sized X-Men

28204557234_7f52a48246.jpg

Colossus (EBF PSF)

Storm (TLG)

Banshee (blue hips can't be changed, he's actually a keychain :wink: )

Wolverine (TLG)

Nighcrawler (EBF PSF)

70s-80s X-Men

28204556804_54b34bd861.jpg

Quicksilver (TLG)

Rogue (EBF SPF)

Havok (yellow head needs replacement)

Shadowcat (not my favorite version of her costume, but easy to make)

Magik (yellow head again! I told you I was running out!)

90s X-Men

28204556564_462c833cab.jpg

Bishop (needs work)

Deadpool (TLG)

Psylocke (so tough to do, could be better)

Gambit (TLG Hawkeye)

Jubilee

Cheers!

Here is my updated and expanded X-Men roster. Many of these are directly inspired by this forum (EBF PSF), so apologies for not crediting each of you individually.

As usual, idea, comments, suggestions are welcome. I'm looking for the best pieces for these characters by looking through BL for parts/colors, but I would love to hear from you.

Also, these are my favorite X-Men from across comics, cartoons, and movies, and video games. I am pretty satisfied with my list for my purposes, but which characters do you feel I have left out? Who deserves a spot on this roster? Dazzler? Firestar? Negasonic Teenage Warhead?

Original X-Men

Professor X

Beast

Angel

Jean Grey (updated legs)

Iceman (TLG Electro)

Cylcops (TLG)

Giant-Sized X-Men

Colossus (EBF PSF)

Storm (TLG)

Banshee (blue hips can't be changed, he's actually a keychain :wink: )

Wolverine (TLG)

Nighcrawler (EBF PSF)

70s-80s X-Men

Quicksilver (TLG)

Rogue (EBF SPF)

Havok (yellow head needs replacement)

Shadowcat (not my favorite version of her costume, but easy to make)

Magik (yellow head again! I told you I was running out!)

90s X-Men

Bishop (needs work)

Deadpool (TLG)

Psylocke (so tough to do, could be better)

Gambit (TLG Hawkeye)

Jubilee

Cheers!

Original X-Men

Professor X - Nice wheelchair, and it's a good start, but something about the pieces you chose just gives him a 'If Gandalf attended Hogwarts' look. What I mean is that given the pieces you chose, it's kind of hard to see beyond what those pieces are, which is simply because of the fact that they are very distinct in their designs.

Since I see you're going for the old man look, I'd recommend Dumbledore's head first and foremost. The fact is, though, with the nearly unlimited variety of Lego heads that we have today, you can achieve Xavier's general looks without indicating his age quite so clearly. Thus, I'd also strongly recommend Legolas', Phillip's, the new Clones', and the new Elves/Sandman's heads as well. As for the torso and legs, I'd recommend Mr. Burns'.

Beast & Angel - These guys are perfect! :D

Jean Grey (updated legs) - I really like these new legs!

Iceman (TLG Electro)

Cylcops (TLG)

Giant-Sized X-Men

Colossus (EBF PSF) - Colossus looks great! He's always been a tough figure to pull off and I think you did an awesome job! He doesn't have many details, however, and if you want to change that, I'd recommend checking out some of the versions of him available on Flickr. This one is my absolute favorite, and this one is a strong contender for second place.

Storm (TLG)

Banshee (blue hips can't be changed, he's actually a keychain :wink: ) - Banshee looks amazing! Not to mention that I especially love that striped neck bracket! :D The only thing about your Banshee is his head: It seems to be a bit more scared than forceful, which is what Banshee is. I'd recommend the angry side of Merry's head.

Wolverine (TLG)

Nighcrawler (EBF PSF) - As with Colossus, Nightcrawler looks great, but could also use some more details. I'd recommend checking out some of the other versions out there.

70s-80s X-Men

Quicksilver (TLG (I'd recommend building your own, because this verion of Quicksilver is not like the X-Men comics one.)

Rogue (EBF SPF) - Everything looks great, except the head. For white female characters, I'd recommend this head pretty much 99% of the time.

Havok (yellow head needs replacement) - Try this one.

Shadowcat (not my favorite version of her costume, but easy to make) - She looks nice, but why the swords? Also her head seems kind of 'off' to me.

Magik (yellow head again! I told you I was running out!) - Try either of these ones.

90s X-Men

Bishop (needs work) - He seems pretty good to me . . . What's wrong here?

Deadpool (TLG)

Psylocke (so tough to do, could be better) - She seems amazing! The only two things here would be her hair and face. There are only about five realistic options for Psylocke's hair:

First, black mid-length hair with pink highlights, black ponytail with pinker highlights, plain black mid-length hair, plain black long hair, and a plain black ponytail. Like Shadowcat, her head seems kind of 'off' to me.

Gambit (TLG Hawkeye) - He looks great, but I think you may need to get away from the Hawkeye motif. Keep his head though, it's a really good choice for Gambit. Also, try either of these hairs.

Jubilee - I see what you were trying to do with the Doc-Ock sunglasses there, but it still has a more 'crazy' than 'funky' look, and it's somewhat jarring. Jubilee might benefit better from Ginny Weasley's head instead.

Hope that helps! Also, as for Dazzler, Firestar and Negasonic Teenage Warhead? Yes, yes, and yes. :P Best of luck and happy building! - The Big Red Cheese

Guys I'm really struggling with trying to find a good torso and leg combo for the cycle chase Harley, any suggestions would be welcome. I keep trying to use this one http://brickset.com/minifigs/spd018/Jewel-Thief-1-Red-Torso-w-Space-Logo-Black-Legs but somthing just isn't sitting quite right :sceptic:

Edited by Im a brickmaster.

Cheers!

What head does Gambit use? Nice figs by the way :thumbup:

Edited by Foxes Productionz

What head does Gambit use? Nice figs by the way :thumbup:

Tis used in Star Wars TIE fighter pilots I believe. I know its Star Wars, but there's too much Lego in that theme to remember everything

Here's DC's Nemesis!

Oooo nice! He's not well known but I love Nemesis. What torso is that?? Is it the CMF Series 16 secret agent??