ED-209

Boar's Head Faction

Pretty much just what the title says: a few decals to flesh out a faction based on the knight from the Collectable Minifigure. He seems like a nasty fellow, so I assume they're an evil faction! :laugh:

Official figure:

8831-16.jpg

Standard foot soldier or perhaps archer:

Boar%27s%20Head%20soldier.png

Nobleman (with a bit of a belly - his own fault for picking a boar as his symbol I guess!):

Boar%27s%20Head%20noble.png

Shield for basic soldiers:

Boar%27s%20Head%20shield.png

Feedback most welcome, enjoy!

EDIT: Flobnomdob requested some knight torsos that would work with the official legs, so I came up with these:

Armoured:

Boar%20knight%2001.png

Tabbard, front and back:

Boar%20knight%2002.png

I've also made a couple of images for the standard 2x2 flag and the 3x7 for a hanging banner:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2335

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=30292

Boar%20banner%2001.png

Boar%20banner%2002.png

EDIT: So I finally got a couple of the figures and I can certainly see what Wardancer, ZCerberus and Darkdragon were referring to. The colour of the boar's head is quite disappointing. :sick:

So I decided to replace the ovoid shield rather than recolour the images I've made:

Boar%27s%20Head%20shiled%20ovoid.png

Also, Andhe requested barding for the black knight's horse, which I thought was a marvellous idea! I used a template, I believe by Armothe. Here's what I came up with:

Boar%27s%20Head%20horse%20barding.png

Edited by ED-209

Mmm, sounds yummy!

Actually, very well done, ED-209. They all look terrific, but I think the foot soldier is my favourite! :thumbup:

Great work. I love the belly on the nobleman. My only nitpick is that the symbol on his belly should be slightly distorted too do to the belly, or it should be raised above the belly.

:thumbup:

A great idea and well done decals!

These also reduce the amount of silvery spikes on a fig, which is pretty overloaded on the original fig.

Users might be a bit disppointed by the boar shield, which is not red, but reddish brown or something even darker, as discussed and proven in the CMS 7 thread.

Just what I wanted! Thanks! You've recreated the spikes on the sheild very well. I'm glad I can have something to put on that horrible plain torso on him! I hope we'll at some point get a suitable torso to 'carry on' the hip printing upwards.

... Are there any Boar's Head flag and banner decals yet? I need some for my standard-bearers...?

Edited by Flobnomdob

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you like 'em! :sweet:

Great work. I love the belly on the nobleman. My only nitpick is that the symbol on his belly should be slightly distorted too do to the belly, or it should be raised above the belly.

I completely agree with you, and I played with the size and positioning of the insignia but I couldn't get it to sit right. If it's above the lind of his belly, it's either too small to make out the detail, or half of it is concealed behind the cloak. :sceptic:

I hadn't tried to distort it, but maybe that would be a good compromise?

Just what I wanted! Thanks! You've recreated the spikes on the sheild very well. I'm glad I can have something to put on that horrible plain torso on him! I hope we'll at some point get a suitable torso to 'carry on' the hip printing upwards.

... Are there any Boar's Head flag and banner decals yet? I need some for my standard-bearers...?

I must admit I don't actually own the fig, as they're not out in Melbourne yet, but I looked at the leg piece on Bricklink to see what you were referring to. I'd be happy to do a torso design for armour to match the legs - is there any particular sort of shape or elements you'd like to see?

And I'll see about making some flags and banners ASAP! :thumbup:

Edited by ED-209

ED-209, I don't mind, it's up to you. I know it'll look good if you have as much attention to detail and get the 'Lego-y' feel to it as well as you already have with the rest. :laugh:

Love it!

Too bad the boar's heads on the actually CMFs are like a dirty brown, and barely visible, and not the nice red color you have used here!

Users might be a bit disppointed by the boar shield, which is not red, but reddish brown or something even darker, as discussed and proven in the CMS 7 thread.

Too bad the boar's heads on the actually CMFs are like a dirty brown, and barely visible, and not the nice red color you have used here!

I am a little disappointed by that, it looked like dark red in the photos I'd seen! Easy job to change the colours though, if I knew what colour it is. Can anyone give me the CMYK values of the boar's head? Or post a clearer photo/scan than Bricklink has?

ED-209, I don't mind, it's up to you. I know it'll look good if you have as much attention to detail and get the 'Lego-y' feel to it as well as you already have with the rest. :laugh:

I've added a few new images in the original post. Torsos for the knight, a flag and a banner - hopefully they're the kind of thing you were looking for! They're designed to be used with the knight's legs (as opposed to other characters in the same army).

I am a little disappointed by that, it looked like dark red in the photos I'd seen! Easy job to change the colours though, if I knew what colour it is. Can anyone give me the CMYK values of the boar's head? Or post a clearer photo/scan than Bricklink has?

Yeah I think everyone is disapointed by that :cry_sad:

65evil.jpg

Yeah I think everyone is disapointed by that :cry_sad:

Woah, it's really that dark?! It's practically indestinguishable from the background. *huh*

Thank you for the image darkdragon. So does this look about right then?

Boar%27s%20Head%20shield%20dark.png

Woah, it's really that dark?! It's practically indestinguishable from the background. *huh*

Thank you for the image darkdragon. So does this look about right then?

Yeah it's really hard to see on the fig :cry_sad:

I think your new version looks more "true" but I think the old version looks better. :thumbup:

Whoa very cool. Thanks for making these and definitely that great knights under armor torso, something Lego was too lazy to make :tongue:

Fantastic! I was wondering about having a go at something like this. Well for a barding actually. The character strikes me as more of the lone black knight archetype, as amassing an army of these my be difficult.

I much prefer your red boar, as I imagine that's what TLG were trying to do (especially if you look at the designs) but the printing just hasn't been very successful onto the black.

I also find his head a bit odd, with the face wrinkles being mainly hidden by his helmet. He looks a whole lot more haggard without his mask! If I was making a faction I'd probably want to switch out this head for a more generic angry one.

Is there a template for horse barding anywhere?

Fantastic! I was wondering about having a go at something like this. Well for a barding actually. The character strikes me as more of the lone black knight archetype, as amassing an army of these my be difficult.

I much prefer your red boar, as I imagine that's what TLG were trying to do (especially if you look at the designs) but the printing just hasn't been very successful onto the black.

I also find his head a bit odd, with the face wrinkles being mainly hidden by his helmet. He looks a whole lot more haggard without his mask! If I was making a faction I'd probably want to switch out this head for a more generic angry one.

Is there a template for horse barding anywhere?

Yes, having now seen the figures in the flesh I'm wondering if there was some sort of miscommunication or quality control issue with the printing. It's so dark that I really can't believe that it's what the designer(s) were aiming for.

The barding is a great idea! I've updated the original post to include an image for it, I hope you like it! :grin:

Yes, having now seen the figures in the flesh I'm wondering if there was some sort of miscommunication or quality control issue with the printing. It's so dark that I really can't believe that it's what the designer(s) were aiming for.

The barding is a great idea! I've updated the original post to include an image for it, I hope you like it! :grin:

Wow, sorry for dragging this one up from before the summer but I'd missed your update with the barding. It wasn't really a request but I'll definately have to try and use it now. I've printed it out but it comes out really small. It that my printer or the file size do you know?

Great stuff!

Just wanted to compliment these as well! I got about half a dozen Evil Knights and haven't done much to customize them (aside from replacing a couple heads with an Evil Dwarf and Alpha Team villain Oleg). It'd be fun to customize some more to that faction beyond rage-filled knights. Thanks for sharing!