AlexC

Electric traffic lights for the railway

Guys,

I am trying to build an electric traffic light for my railway. For that purpose I will use two Electric, Light Brick 1 x 2 with Single Side Light (6035)and one Trans-Green Brick 1 x 2 without Bottom Tube (3065)and one Trans-Red Brick 1 x 2 without Bottom Tube (3065).

Does anyone built anything similar? If yes, could you please provide me with some building instructions or advises? Particularly I wonder how to switch lights if want to have only one battery box connected to both lights? I assume they should be connected through a sort of switch. Does anyone aware of that switch p/n?

Alternatively, if you could recommend any other ways to construct a traffic light I also will appreciate it.

Best regards,

Alex

Alex,

Since you are using old 9V stuff, I would suggest using the old polarity switch with old 9V wires:

6551c01.jpg?0

You could also use the newer PF polarity switch, but you would need some PF converter cables:

bb339c01.jpg?0

You would have to use 1 switch per light.

If you wanted to get all fancy, you could buy a cheap RCX off bricklink to control your lights. You might even be able to program it in with other track functions. Some of the RCX's have a power plug so you don't have to use batteries.

Edited by dhc6twinotter

@ AlexC: Are you wanting to build something like Bill Ward's Four-Track Signal Gantry[/url], except with LED lights in the signal faces?

DLuders, thank you for your help. Four-Track Signal Gantry is probably too fance for me, but the idea is similar.

Also thanks for the Train light posts, at least i will use the set to build something similar.

Alex,

Since you are using old 9V stuff, I would suggest using the old polarity switch with old 9V wires:

You could also use the newer PF polarity switch, but you would need some PF converter cables:

You would have to use 1 switch per light.

If you wanted to get all fancy, you could buy a cheap RCX off bricklink to control your lights. You might even be able to program it in with other track functions. Some of the RCX's have a power plug so you don't have to use batteries.

dhc6twinotter, actually I want something with RCX to avoid alot of polarity switches.

Do you have any particular examples with RXC?

It will not be very efficient to use an RCX and (just) LEGO...

I use both RCX and NXT in education so I know quite something about them. You might of course try to do some electronics tricks with it, but a better solution is using e.g. the Arduino. Did you also want to make a block system for controlling the trains?!

dhc6twinotter, actually I want something with RCX to avoid alot of polarity switches.

Do you have any particular examples with RXC?

Sorry, I don't have any pictures or examples of electric traffic lights. There is a LUG that travels around to some of the shows in the States, and they have a large train layout with RCX controlled bridges and train crossings. The train crossings use the old 9V flashing lights and a micro motor to open/close the gate.

I think the train layout will be at BrickMagic in a month. If you like, I can try to get more info on their layout when I see it.

Edited by dhc6twinotter

It will not be very efficient to use an RCX and (just) LEGO...

I use both RCX and NXT in education so I know quite something about them. You might of course try to do some electronics tricks with it, but a better solution is using e.g. the Arduino. Did you also want to make a block system for controlling the trains?!

Hi JopieK,

I think using something like Arduino is too much for me. May be you could give me some advises about RCX and NXT? I am not planning (so far) to make a block system for controlling trains as my trains are RC.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures or examples of electric traffic lights. There is a LUG that travels around to some of the shows in the States, and they have a large train layout with RCX controlled bridges and train crossings. The train crossings use the old 9V flashing lights and a micro motor to open/close the gate.

I think the train layout will be at BrickMagic in a month. If you like, I can try to get more info on their layout when I see it.

dhc6twinotter, I will appreciate if you could make some photos of it.