ghostmind

My hangup with the prequels sets

I have to note that the last year or so has started to see a possible swing back towards the movie-based sets being more predominant. 2011 had a few big PT sets and this year we are seeing a LOT of OT sets being released. Maybe TLG is starting to shift gears, especially with the movies returning to theaters.

*And Ki-Adi-Mundi, if they release a Cloud City and a Mos Eisley next year? That would be amazing!!!

The discussion might have derailed but i still agree with OP. Since last year I buy almost all (even older) OT sets and also go for some of the PT sets (memorable scenes of the movies) but go ways round anything CW (animated series). IMO, comics turn the fantastic into the ridiculous or maybe that's simply out of my age range. Thus i tend to moan a bit about TLG releasing a 'Malvolence' which is only of interest to the fans of CW while they also could have had a shot at the 'Invisible Hand' for example, which adresses a broader audience, IMO.

Still, for as long as TLG keeps up a good mixture in the release waves, they have a good chance to attract all of us. I felt pretty satisfied with the spring 2012 wave and will also go for the OT sets in the summer (Jabba when the price gets right). Planet sets and maybe the Sith Fury Interceptor are optionals to me. Furthermore i feel hungry for next year, too. Mos Eisley, Cloud City, Star Destroyer and a Stormie/Scout Rebel BP might already be under construction in TLG's secret forge... :wink: This leaves enough room for more CW stuff and would not hurt anyone...

While "only of interest to CW fans". the Malevolence is shown and clearly visible for well over 30 minutes of prime screen time spread out over 3 episodes. The Invisible Hand has 45 shaky seconds. So many of we older fans seem to view CW as "just some silly little cartoon". We don't appreciate that it has been running for over 4 seasons now. There is more film of CW then there is of the OT and PT combined. Recurring ships and subjects from CW have typically had 100x more screen time and exposure than most of the subjects from the movies. (Simply a factor of effects costs vs digital production. Movies got seconds whereas CW gets minutes).

It's called friendly suggestion :wink:

And for example here are quiet good arguments why this is pointless

a) you can`t change anything

b)Lucas&Lego don`t care about couple of guys bitchin on forum about minifigs since huge majority of ppl (and there customers) are buying sets like crazy and just don`t care about 3 more lines on minifig head and 2 more dots in eyes

:wink:

Here's a friendly suggestion. Since you have nothing to add to this discussion, quit wasting our time and find a discussion that you can contribute to. If you look, I'm sure you'll find that you have plenty of options.

As others have already touched on, I feel that LEGO has done a good job of putting out sets that different fans will like. I know it's not practical for them to think every fan will love every set but there's a lot of great variety in the line right now.

Edited by Sir_Basil_Ashton

I believe the Barriss minifig is the one that came with the Swamp Speeder.

Barriss Offee

If it is, she doesn't count (it's a ROTS fig not a CW one) :laugh:.

I always considered it a ROTS fig and I just realized that Bricklink has the set as well as the minifigs classified as from Clone Wars.

I always considered it a ROTS fig and I just realized that Bricklink has the set as well as the minifigs classified as from Clone Wars.

Yup, these things happen. 8093 (Plo Koon’s Jedi Starfighter) on the other hand is classified as a ROTS set, although the minifigs are classified as TCW figures, and I always considered it to be a TCW set.

I just recently got into Star Wars so I haven't had any figures or locations. I'm not a huge fan of the CW faces, but I do agree it is the source material, so they are actually doing a really good job with that. Some of the sets are actually pretty neat. The non-humans are definitely must-haves, for me at least. The humans I would prefer regular Lego faces and more often than not they exist. With SW getting another 10 years added to their license, I would imagine many figures will be remade so everyone will be happy. And with the first 3 episodes being re-released into theaters over the next few years we will probably be getting a lot more of those locations and figures that weren't previously released. My best guess is to wait it out. I don't love the CW faces, but I still bought some of the sets and swapped out the heads. At the very least I have some other Jedi robes or Clone "armor" to still recreate armies or scenes.

As long as the sets are selling, they will keep making them this way. But I'm sure over time they will mix it up a bit with OT, PT, and CW figures/locations.

I honestly don't care about the people that complain about the CW series and its merchandise. If you are a true fan of SW then you would enjoy the additional treatments the universe is getting. As others have mentioned, in the CW you get characters and vehicles with 100x the amount of exposure that would get in film. So not only do we get to experience more ships and vehicles, but also characters that would have never seen anything more than 10 seconds on screen (ie, Aayla Secura).

Yes they are goofy and out of place compared to the PT and OT figs, but who cares. They are faithful to the source material being derived. I always try to collect the counterpart figs to anything I get in CW if it is available (ie, Obiwan from a CW set and then Obiwan from PT).

It's called friendly suggestion :wink:

And for example here are quiet good arguments why this is pointless

a) you can`t change anything

b)Lucas&Lego don`t care about couple of guys bitchin on forum about minifigs since huge majority of ppl (and there customers) are buying sets like crazy and just don`t care about 3 more lines on minifig head and 2 more dots in eyes

:wink:

So, by your examples, we should never voice our opinions, which is the basis of those thread(and many more on this board). Why even bother posting in this 'pointless' thread anyways. :hmpf:

I honestly don't care about the people that complain about the CW series and its merchandise. If you are a true fan of SW then you would enjoy the additional treatments the universe is getting. As others have mentioned, in the CW you get characters and vehicles with 100x the amount of exposure that would get in film. So not only do we get to experience more ships and vehicles, but also characters that would have never seen anything more than 10 seconds on screen (ie, Aayla Secura).

Yes they are goofy and out of place compared to the PT and OT figs, but who cares. They are faithful to the source material being derived. I always try to collect the counterpart figs to anything I get in CW if it is available (ie, Obiwan from a CW set and then Obiwan from PT).

I disagree with that statement. I'm a huge Star Wars fan. I love the OT and while the PT isn't as good and there are a few major drawbacks (ahem JAR JAR) I find the PT films very enjoyable. But I couldn't care less about the CW cartoon. I gave it a chance, but I feel it's just full of too many retcons and ridiculous storylines for it to hold my interest. Despite that however, I would still consider buying the sets if the minifigs weren't ugly(IMO). I realize that some people like them and that's fine I don't have a problem with it. It's just a matter of taste.

Destroydacre and I were simply saying that the PT Barriss is so much better than the CW one. I thought everyone knows what we meant since there is obviously one PT and one CW edition of her. Of course she counts, comparing her to her ugly CW rendition.

I disagree with that statement. I'm a huge Star Wars fan. I love the OT and while the PT isn't as good and there are a few major drawbacks (ahem JAR JAR) I find the PT films very enjoyable. But I couldn't care less about the CW cartoon. I gave it a chance, but I feel it's just full of too many retcons and ridiculous storylines for it to hold my interest. Despite that however, I would still consider buying the sets if the minifigs weren't ugly(IMO). I realize that some people like them and that's fine I don't have a problem with it. It's just a matter of taste.

I've found lot of we older fans opinions on CW and CW subjects is often reflected by how far into the series in question the fan made it. The intro movie was a bit formula and targeted a little young. With voice acting and dialogue on par with the PT (and I don't mean that in a good way). The first and second seasons while vastly better than the intro movie, were mainly ok or mid grade stuff. As it has been with a lot of our favorite SciFi shows, the series really found it's footing in the 3rd and 4th seasons and put out some really really good SW universe stories. Plus by then they started adding in more and more of the vehicles that we had always heard about either in books or reference materials, but had never seen on screen. (plsplsplsPLZ Mr Lego's peoples!!!! I'll take 3 each of a Hounds Tooth set and a "Luxury Yacht 3000 / Lady Luck" set and 4 Z-95 Headhunters!!!!)

Like many of us, I agree that I think Lego did a much better job with the CW minifigs when they portrayed them in the video game. That is what they should have gone with for the sets. But it is a relatively minor nitpick compared to some otherwise truly amazing sets. (OK some of the early CW sets, particularly the Twilight were really lacking in something, but look at the newer ones). Heck if the heads bother you that much, either Bricklink the OT/PT equivalents, or simply put the figs helmet on.

i doubt you gave it much of a chance, because like I said, if you are TRULY a fan of Star Wars material, it's easy enough to get into the Clone Wars after the first season. Season 2 has some great visual elements that make the show the absolute highest quality animation of ALL TIME. Not to mention fantastic action trilogies, character arcs, exploring unseen planets, etc. It does not compute in my brain that someone who likes star wars would not like a taste of the clone wars. Now to be fair, the movie was awful. The first season was pretty messy as well (the battle droids are annoying), but it all gets cleaned up as season 1 closes and 2 begins. Season 3 has some political garbage that is annoying but its more mature than the previous seasons.

Edited by calisupra2nr

In my personal opinion, TCW is a great contribution to SW. Without the OT, there would be no SW at all, and without the PT, TCW wouldn't make much sense either. Anakin is portrayed in a much better way than in the PT.

But back to topic:

Since Lego has begun to remake some Episode I sets, I hope they'll remake some of the Episode II sets, too, and introduce sets for scenes that were not yet covered.

Destroydacre and I were simply saying that the PT Barriss is so much better than the CW one. I thought everyone knows what we meant since there is obviously one PT and one CW edition of her. Of course she counts, comparing her to her ugly CW rendition.

I miss red it thinking that you where saying the original was an example of a good CW fig :blush:. I get you now :grin:.

Aaaaaand we've shot right into "you're not a REAL fan" territory, where frank exchange of opinions goes to die.

Seriously, people? They're opinions. Much like bellybuttons, everybody has one, and mine doesn't have to be the same as yours. Some of us like OT, some of us like PT, some of us like CW, and some of us like Babylon 5. There are even a few of us around who think science fiction in general is a massive waste of time. And that's okay.

The same goes for the minifigs. Yes, maybe it's silly to abstain from buying CW sets because of "a few lines of paint". But if those odd-looking minifigs make a set unattractive to someone, why should they have to buy it?

And for the record, just because there is "over 100 hours of CW material" does not mean CW is good. It just means there's a lot of it.

Personally, I saw a few episodes of CW and thought it was okay. Not great, not terrible either. But it didn't interest me enough to stick with it.

Much like bellybuttons

Don't know why, but I laughed so hard when I suddenly saw that come up in your text :laugh:

I haven't seen TCW series yet, only a handful of episodes on sky...

Personally, I like the minifigs, I'll only start to hate them when they become more like that humungous 'Hulk' which is all preformed and looks like it belongs in the duplo sets.

Regardless of where the minifigs are based to come from, it is nice to see so much versatility of minifig heads to allow us a much wider variety to choose from when it comes to customising our own creations. They have given us such a vast collection of heads and different expressions etc to choose from. What is wrong with that?

If you don't like them, it is simple to buy a load of yellow headed smilies off bricklink to replace them when need be and sell TCW heads you don't like. There is no need to miss such great sets just because of a few minifig heads that are easily interchangeable.

Maybe I'm old and stuck in my ways, but personally I think the PT is atrocious and a huge insult to everything that made Star Wars good. I don't even know what to think of the CW series, since it looks like the bastard child of a mediocre Japanese cartoon and the old Transformers show with lightsabers. All I know is, nothing about it registers as Star Wars to my eye, and I share the OP's aversion to the CW minifigs for the same reason.

However, none of this is LEGO's fault. A lot of the CW sets are very well designed and hold up on their own merits... as LEGO sets. The problem is, I have no desire to collect them when the subject material is such dirge. But I'm not going to blame LEGO for it - their work is still as solid as ever.

Aaaaaand we've shot right into "you're not a REAL fan" territory, where frank exchange of opinions goes to die.

Seriously, people? They're opinions. Much like bellybuttons, everybody has one, and mine doesn't have to be the same as yours. Some of us like OT, some of us like PT, some of us like CW, and some of us like Babylon 5. There are even a few of us around who think science fiction in general is a massive waste of time. And that's okay.

The same goes for the minifigs. Yes, maybe it's silly to abstain from buying CW sets because of "a few lines of paint". But if those odd-looking minifigs make a set unattractive to someone, why should they have to buy it?

And for the record, just because there is "over 100 hours of CW material" does not mean CW is good. It just means there's a lot of it.

Personally, I saw a few episodes of CW and thought it was okay. Not great, not terrible either. But it didn't interest me enough to stick with it.

People can have their own opinion about star wars. My comment wasn't that people couldn't like different parts of the media, but that I cannot comprehend when someone says, "I love star wars and the universe" and then bashes the PT or TCW. Its just another taste of something you apparently enjoy. Like I said TCW gets much better as it ages (like wine). So for me, liking TCW and PT is just part of the experience of being a fan of SW. Bashing pieces and liking pieces is just not my thing. As for the minifigs, Lego has done their job in accurately representing the source material.

Maybe I'm old and stuck in my ways, but personally I think the PT is atrocious and a huge insult to everything that made Star Wars good. I don't even know what to think of the CW series, since it looks like the bastard child of a mediocre Japanese cartoon and the old Transformers show with lightsabers. All I know is, nothing about it registers as Star Wars to my eye, and I share the OP's aversion to the CW minifigs for the same reason.

However, none of this is LEGO's fault. A lot of the CW sets are very well designed and hold up on their own merits... as LEGO sets. The problem is, I have no desire to collect them when the subject material is such dirge. But I'm not going to blame LEGO for it - their work is still as solid as ever.

Ok maybe you are just old and stuck in your ways then? I mean, a whole generation of kids grew up on the OT just like a whole gen grew up on PT. Just like a whole gen is growing up on TCW. Everyone can have their opinion and thats fine, but to come in and completely trash something like you are doing with the PT and TCW is why I question whether people are truly fans or not. You are not a fan of Star Wars if you trash 70% of the material put out there. Just because you like the OT doesnt make you a "fan". It means you like a few scifi movies from the 70s and 80s. Those movies no longer represent the entity that is the SW franchise. And reading that you think TCW is some bastard child of a mediocre japanese anime and old transformers almost invalidates anything you have said because the show is an animation landmark. The effects, animations and artwork have all been critically acclaimed. Correct me if I am wrong, but when was a mediocre Japanese cartoon and an old transformers mashup ever critically acclaimed for anything?

I love the OT as much as anyone and grew up watching it way before the new stuff came out, but I love getting a taste of anything in the universe when the opportunity presents itself. I am not the biggest fan of the mini-figs that Lego has put out, but I think they did a great job bring that stylized aspect of the show to Lego. And in that aspect they succeeded.

Edited by calisupra2nr

Let me clarify that I don't dislike TCW series itself. I certainly don't love it, but having seen the bulk of three seasons of the series, I can say that I am "lukewarm" to it with some specific reservations and misgivings. I do recognize that it is providing us with new SW content, but I do not subscribe to the idea that a "true fan" is someone who joyfully accepts whatever Lucasfilm sends his way.

My issue is with the LEGO's stylized intepretation. As others have mentioned, the CW videogame did a much better job with many characters in this regard.

Being a fan doesn't mean you have to love every single thing a series puts out. I like the movies, but I haven't read or care to read the books. Does that mean I'm not a SW fan?

Ok maybe you are just old and stuck in your ways then? I mean, a whole generation of kids grew up on the OT just like a whole gen grew up on PT. Just like a whole gen is growing up on TCW.

And? There's also a whole generation of kids growing up with Twilight, Justin Bieber, and Spongebob Squarepants. It doesn't make them any more or less good.

Everyone can have their opinion and thats fine, but to come in and completely trash something like you are doing with the PT and TCW is why I question whether people are truly fans or not. You are not a fan of Star Wars if you trash 70% of the material put out there. Just because you like the OT doesnt make you a "fan".

Again. Your point? I am a fan of the original three movies, as I enjoyed them immensely and still watch them to this day. I like those movies and I don't like the new stuff - if that means I'm not a "fan", I can live with that. Being a Star Wars fan isn't some sort of badge of qualification to an exclusive club. And even if it is, I don't think I'd want to be in a club that advocates such mediocrity.

It means you like a few scifi movies from the 70s and 80s.

tumblr_m1d02ioRXI1r88ejho2_500.jpg

Those movies no longer represent the entity that is the SW franchise.

Now you know why so many OT fans feel alienated by modern Star Wars. I'm not alone here.

And reading that you think TCW is some bastard child of a mediocre japanese anime and old transformers almost invalidates anything you have said because the show is an animation landmark.

Cite your sources. Avatar was an animation landmark. Disney was an animation landmark. Everything I've seen from TCW falls very short of those marks.

The effects, animations and artwork have all been critically acclaimed. Correct me if I am wrong, but when was a mediocre Japanese cartoon and an old transformers mashup ever critically acclaimed for anything?

Do you really want to bring the critics into this?

From Rotten Tomatoes:

Episode IV: 94% critic approval rating

Episode V: 97%

Episode VI: 79%

The Clone Wars (movie): 19%

Episode I: 57%

Episode II: 67%

Episode III: 80%

And what you have there is a decent reflection of how I feel about every Star Wars movie. There's a pretty clear quality divide there. And it's not just the opinion of one critic, it's accumulative. If you disagree with the critics, fine; more power to you. I often disagree with them myself. But in this case I agree completely; there are basic standards of quality in writing, acting, and cinematography that aren't well reflected in much of the PT.

That's not to say I think the PT is worthless; Episode III was definitely the least offensive of the trilogy (although the acting left a lot to be desired) and on the whole it was still a decent summer flick. It just wasn't outstanding. The older movies, for me at least, have a certain magic that makes them stand out from other science fiction films, which is why I like them. I really couldn't care less if that makes me a "fan" or not... the term seems to be pretty ambiguous anyway.

ALLOW ME TO REITERATE MY PREVIOUS POST: None of this is LEGO's fault. Some of the CW sets are quite well designed, and I like them. But I don't have the disposable income to be less than picky, and since I don't enjoy the new Star Wars universe very much, I share the OP's disinterest. That's my only point here.

Please lets not let this devolve into a flame war.

Episode III was definitely the least offensive of the trilogy (although the acting left a lot to be desired)

Yeah because the OT had the best acting in the world :sceptic:.

Why not go to the OT vs PT vs CW thread in culture and multimedia everyone?

This thread should be 'My hangup with the CW sets', they are ugly because they are based on the caricature characters in TCW.

Let's keep this away from an argument over OT vs. PT. vs. CW please. :classic:

Like Mr. Man said, there are other threads for that.

Yeah I am really not trying to be contentious about anything, just these types of threads will inherently bring out strong opinions concerning their source material.

Here is to hoping that TLG will produce jedi and other minifigs in PT/OT form instead of TCW form :thumbup: