SpiderSpaceman

Comic-Con minifigures

We know one now: dark red Rocket. It's a little better since it's a variant of a fig in a set, but he would still be nice to have. Unfortunately him and his micro ship are $150 online.

The Red uniform Rocket Raccoon might not be an exclusive figure, per se. It is a figure in an exclusive set. The actual figure might show up elsewhere. He strikes me as a good candidate for a Lego Store promotional giveaway like Flashback Shredder. One of those exclusive sets comes with a regular fig of Chopper, the other Batmobile, we have not seen the fig for yet.

The actual exclusive figures are the 4 designated as such. The Collector, Unikitty, Blue jacket Bard the Bowman, and the as yet unrevealed 4th.

I'm calling it now: Wuher or Dr Evazan

And the howls of rage from the SW community will ring through eternity.

:devil:

It's a DC exclusive, so no.

I am re-posting this post as I think it is relevant:

Dear LEGO Group,

The "Exclusive" is really making your fans feel "Excluded".

I would like to send a message to the LEGO Group regarding the SDCC Exclusive minifigure system. I believe that this system of distribution is extremely unfair on at least these levels:

1) Not everyone (in fact the vast, vast majority of LEGO customers) can or will ever be able to attend the SDCC.

2) The fact that the SDCC Exclusive minifigures never gets released up in general circulation (even if it is a year or two year later) means that they are almost like contraband snapped up by scalpers -- people who have nothing to do with LEGO, are not loyal customers of LEGO but are simply leeches looking to exploit a supply / demand dislocation into a greedy profit.

3) This ends up rewarding the absolute wrong segment (i.e. scalping non-LEGO fans) -- pushing up prices for these items to exorbitant levels in the secondary market -- while the vast majority of LEGO fans worldwide end up feeling very frustrated and unappreciated for their loyalty.

For example, the SDCC system has rewarded the lucky few with 2 different Spidey variants in as many years (Symbiote and ASM2), meanwhile, 99.99% of loyal LEGO Marvel fans have had 8 straight sets with the same ultimate Spider-Man minifigure -- absolutely no variants during that time.

SOLUTION(s)

1) Cease the SDCC Exclusive system

2) Continue with the SDCC Exclusive system, but rotate all of these minifigures into general circulation through future sets (even if it 1 or 2 years down the road). This will solve the issue of scarcity (and hence ridiculous hoarding and scalping of exclusive minifigures) and thus bring down the crazy secondary prices -- thereby effectively eliminating scalpers. And more importantly, your loyal customers get access to these minifigures at a reasonable price.

Edited by agoodfella

I have no sympathy for all the people complaining here. The whole point of 'Exclusive' or 'Limited edition' is that it's something not everyone else has.

"Dear Lego, I'm a real fan. How dare you give something I want to someone who isn't a real fan?" Give me a break.

Being completionist is a decision. It's self-inflicted. The Rolling Stones said it decades ago: You can't always get what you want. Live with it.

I have no sympathy for all the people complaining here. The whole point of 'Exclusive' or 'Limited edition' is that it's something not everyone else has.

"Dear Lego, I'm a real fan. How dare you give something I want to someone who isn't a real fan?" Give me a break.

Being completionist is a decision. It's self-inflicted. The Rolling Stones said it decades ago: You can't always get what you want. Live with it.

this right here, I sometimes think this website is made up of 7 yr olds the way they cry about not getting certain minifigures

"You can't always get what you want. Live with it." is a nice philosophy, but why cant people raise these points if they them see a problem? Anyone is perfectly within their rights to be frustrated with this random inaccessibility of certain figs, and to raise the issue here, since its an issue involving LEGO and opinions - and thats what a forum on LEGO is about. Im sure this experience is common even in people above 7 years old and it does not in any way imply an inablility to move on with their lives.

That's exactly what resellers or people wanting to get a quick buck are meaning to say..

I would like to contribute to this.

Let's look at a company called Funko. Yes, the vinyl figure company. Every year, Funko releases lots and lots of figures. Every figure of course has a new sculpt, which is pricy, as Lego fans know very well. At SDCC, Funko always releases fun variants of their figures. No new sculpts, just usually new paint deco. Sound familiar? But the difference is, they are never different characters. Just variants of characters. Examples of this year: a glow-in-the-dark version of the Olaf figure. A "slimed" Peter Venkman and a metallic Slimer. Minion Dave in purple paint disguise. A Sharknado variant with bloody jaws. A fuzzy version of Rocket Raccoon. Just cool differences on regular figures. Funko sells these at their booth at SDCC. After SDCC, a lot are sold on websites that specialize in Funko Pop, and are sold for a short time in stores like Barnes and Noble or Hot Topic. This lets a lot of fans who can't make it to SDCC get their precious metallic Ninja Turtles. Even on Ebay they don't go that high. Some figures I've seen only go for around $30. Considering normal figures are $10, not too bad if you really want it. And some you will want, like personally I want the transparent Anna figure and the marshmallow covered Ghostbusters. I might buy them, I might not. Of course there is always completionists. In the Funko fan world, almost no one is a completionist because Funko produces one all white prototype for every figure. ONE. that means a lot can't get it. And they're okay with it. They just buy the Pop they can get and are happy. There aren't 5 threads about 'stop the exclusives.' They appreciate the exclusives.

I wish Lego would learn from Funko. I wish Lego scalpers would learn from Funko scalpers. And I wish Lego fans would learn from Funko fans.

Wow that was a loooong post. Did I really type that? :tongue:

Can't you accept the fact that you weren't given a toy you wanted and move on with your lives?

We are adults posting on a childrens toy message board, this happened to varying degrees to all of us already, otherwise we wouldn´t even be here.

And it´s a real grand strategy of Lego to cause emotional trauma (even when it´s only a small number of children that will remember this event) by promoting those exclusive figures in books, "dictionaries" and on the internet to children that would want them but won´t get them until maybe when they are in their late teens or adult life and fork over the price of more than a 1000+ piece Lego set.

Edited by Navy Trooper Fenson

"You can't always get what you want. Live with it." is a nice philosophy, but why cant people raise these points if they them see a problem? Anyone is perfectly within their rights to be frustrated with this random inaccessibility of certain figs, and to raise the issue here, since its an issue involving LEGO and opinions - and thats what a forum on LEGO is about.

Sure - raise the issue, then either buy one, buy a fake, or go without.

I'm glad they exist, even if I don't own any.

I would like to contribute to this.

Let's look at a company called Funko. Yes, the vinyl figure company. Every year, Funko releases lots and lots of figures. Every figure of course has a new sculpt, which is pricy, as Lego fans know very well. At SDCC, Funko always releases fun variants of their figures. No new sculpts, just usually new paint deco. Sound familiar? But the difference is, they are never different characters. Just variants of characters. Examples of this year: a glow-in-the-dark version of the Olaf figure. A "slimed" Peter Venkman and a metallic Slimer. Minion Dave in purple paint disguise. A Sharknado variant with bloody jaws. A fuzzy version of Rocket Raccoon. Just cool differences on regular figures. Funko sells these at their booth at SDCC. After SDCC, a lot are sold on websites that specialize in Funko Pop, and are sold for a short time in stores like Barnes and Noble or Hot Topic. This lets a lot of fans who can't make it to SDCC get their precious metallic Ninja Turtles. Even on Ebay they don't go that high. Some figures I've seen only go for around $30. Considering normal figures are $10, not too bad if you really want it. And some you will want, like personally I want the transparent Anna figure and the marshmallow covered Ghostbusters. I might buy them, I might not. Of course there is always completionists. In the Funko fan world, almost no one is a completionist because Funko produces one all white prototype for every figure. ONE. that means a lot can't get it. And they're okay with it. They just buy the Pop they can get and are happy. There aren't 5 threads about 'stop the exclusives.' They appreciate the exclusives.

I wish Lego would learn from Funko. I wish Lego scalpers would learn from Funko scalpers. And I wish Lego fans would learn from Funko fans.

Wow that was a loooong post. Did I really type that? :tongue:

Even then, some lego superheroes fans will still complain as they want them all and not just the cheap widely available ones.