Anio

[MOC] UCS AT-AT

I'm sorry Anio but in mine and a lot of other peoples opinions it seems your very good at giving criticism but just cannot take it, Unless everybody praises you on every MOC you build you get all on your high horse and strike down anyone who says otherwise.

While your other MOC's are very good especially Sebulba's Pod racer your latest one (being this) is basically crap well ok it is sturdy and is probably something TLG would release as a set but compared to your other MOC's it's well below par in that respect, so I suggest you take peoples comments like a man and admit that it is not perfect by any means despite you selling it as such.

I shall make no further comment on this thread.

Sorry, I never wrote what you do is crap.

So yes, it seems you take criticism so much better than I do. +_+

haha

Just show me how you built your hinged legs, your chassis and the neck.

Show me how it is engineered inside please. :classic:

edit : Are you sure Anio did Sebulba's Podracer ?

I really can't find any credit there :

It may be your MOC. :classic:

Edited by Anio

Ok guys. This happened a few months ago and I see it happening again. I'm not pointing fingers but the criticisms and discussions are starting to get personal and I can sense the anger.

Saying someone's MOC looks like crap, isn't criticism its an insult aimed at hurting them. Anio I know most of the time your just responding and I understand you having to take a defensive stance but in general these discussions where it's a comment with an underlying rude tone directed towards another comment with an underlying rude tone need to stop.

Please keep this civil. If you don't have anything nice (or politely constructive) then don't say anything.

Go ahead, dazzle me.

I redid the sticker, btw :

sticker.jpg

Not that I could do any better, but I think the shape of the head could have a little more detail, and the under-chin cannons are a little long. Just my humble opinion. :classic:

the shape of the head could have a little more detail, and the under-chin cannons are a little long. Just my humble opinion. :classic:

True.

The shape of the head is not correct.

But I do not know how to improve it. There is no Lego wing 6 studs tall with the right angle.

The head was also pretty hard to design given that the :

- the shape (whatever is it not very accurate) is not in the system

- 3 minifigs have to seat in

- it must be hinged

- the roof has to be removable.

As for the guns, depends on what pic do you use.

5856229168ATAT.jpg

Edited by Anio

Anio your work is great.

Scales and proportions may be subject to many interpretation. Look at the SSD, in the mind of most of the people (including me) it's really thinner than it is in reality!

So I prefer to refer to the studio model when pictures are available, since I noticed for the SSD that many resin models are not very accurates.

Here is what I found for the AT-AT

Anio your work is great.

Scales and proportions may be subject to many interpretation. Look at the SSD, in the mind of most of the people (including me) it's really thinner than it is in reality!

So I prefer to refer to the studio model when pictures are available, since I noticed for the SSD that many resin models are not very accurates.

Bob', thanks for that link, it just miss the interior, but for the exterior, it's just a "wahou" visual.

Looking at the latest reference pictures, i'd say the main guns look just fine to me in both shape and length. But the smaller side turret guns on the other hand look a bit off-shape in comparison, and i think it's because of the cones. Have you considered replacing the cones by technic pins?

Anio your work is great.

Thanks for the link. :)

But actually, what I need is not pics of an AT-AT, but rather a new wing (2x6, it's been a while I want that part... :cry_sad: )

Looking at the latest reference pictures, i'd say the main guns look just fine to me in both shape and length. But the smaller side turret guns on the other hand look a bit off-shape in comparison, and i think it's because of the cones. Have you considered replacing the cones by technic pins?

I will do that.

The cones may indeed look too big/cartoony.

edit : I have an idea to improve the shape of the head. I will see how I can do that...

I keep you informed.

Edited by Anio

edit : I have an idea to improve the shape of the head. I will see how I can do that...

I keep you informed.

Here :

382812DSCN7462.jpg

952985DSCN7463.jpg

621263DSCN7465.jpg

The shape is a little better now. And uses less parts. :p

I need to buy one part (slope 2 x 4 double)

And I will have to redo the sticker once again...

edit :

and new cockpit window :

123241Sanstitre.jpg

Edited by Anio

I see you've made some nice improvements there Anio! The guns look much better with the technic pins and your plans for the window slot look very creative and promising, can't wait to see it made in the brick! I also think the angles on the head improved a lot, but looking at the model as a whole i'm a bit concerned that the front panel of the head may have turned out one stud too wide.

the front panel of the head may have turned out one stud too wide.

The base of the front panel is actually the same.

So it's fine. :)

The base of the front panel is actually the same.

So it's fine. :)

Scrolling back to earlier pictures i see that you are right! I guess i was focusing more at the top edge of the panel and comparing it to the 6-wide top edge of the front panel of the main body.

I quite like the improvement of the viewing port, with the plate in between the cheese slopes as a trans-red, would just be perfect! Is that possible? I don't know if you have used a 2x4 + 2x1 plate to give the 5 stud width of the viewing port or just 1x1 + 1x4 plates? If they are 2x1 + 2x4 plate, could you use 5 1x2 trans red plates?

I quite like the improvement of the viewing port, with the plate in between the cheese slopes as a trans-red, would just be perfect! Is that possible? I don't know if you have used a 2x4 + 2x1 plate to give the 5 stud width of the viewing port or just 1x1 + 1x4 plates? If they are 2x1 + 2x4 plate, could you use 5 1x2 trans red plates?

If i'm right the construction as shown in the picture is nescessary for the underside of the view port. Any reason in particular you would want the view port in trans red instead of say trans black Fuppylodders?

Hi,

In trans-red, 1x1 and 1x2 are available. So, technically, yes, I can do that.

Cause the window of an AT-AT is indeed supposed to be trans red.

But when you actually look at the window of an AT-AT (on the pics on the Internet, but also in the movie), the window is not THAT red.

It is pretty dark. Dark gray. Even black sometimes.

So, I think I will let it DBG.

Moreover, the brackets I use are DBG (only color available). So, it make sense to do the window DBG.

If I make it trans-red, it would actually appear trans-red (plate) and DBG (bracket, 1/2 plate). :s

Hi,

In trans-red, 1x1 and 1x2 are available. So, technically, yes, I can do that.

Cause the window of an AT-AT is indeed supposed to be trans red.

But when you actually look at the window of an AT-AT (on the pics on the Internet, but also in the movie), the window is not THAT red.

It is pretty dark. Dark gray. Even black sometimes.

So, I think I will let it DBG.

Moreover, the brackets I use are DBG (only color available). So, it make sense to do the window DBG.

If I make it trans-red, it would actually appear trans-red (plate) and DBG (bracket, 1/2 plate). :s

I guess its like Vader's eyes they are really dark red but for the most part they just look black.

Nice improvement on the windscreen, it has way more detail in it now. :thumbup:

Mark Curnow's Minifig scaled AT-AT is awesome and I saw it at the Sydney brick show and I was just in awe. He has come up with a way to have a trans red windscreen that looks great. Check it out here

Yeah, diggin' the improvements on the head design. Are you thinking about adjusting the roof/top so it has different levels instead of being flat?

After looking at other movie photos the chin guns look pretty much spot on. And props on the side-mounted guns. Those look great.

Yeah, diggin' the improvements on the head design. Are you thinking about adjusting the roof/top so it has different levels instead of being flat?

After looking at other movie photos the chin guns look pretty much spot on. And props on the side-mounted guns. Those look great.

Nope, I won't.

Doesn't look good.

482702DSCN7466.jpg

489493DSCN7467.jpg

Thanks for the idea, though.

edit : it doesn't look any better if I put a 2x4 tile with cheesy slopes all around.

Edited by Anio

For the angle of the top of the 'head', what if you used a couple hinges to create whatever angle you wanted, and then covered up the gaps with tiles? Would that be too bulky or uneven?

For the angle of the top of the 'head', what if you used a couple hinges to create whatever angle you wanted, and then covered up the gaps with tiles? Would that be too bulky or uneven?

Woooo... LDD screen please. Or anything that is more precise.

Don't get what you mean. Sorry.

A 2x6 wedge plate was what you were trying to achieve, right? It would look something like this:

post-11254-13470565222867.png

(the 1x4 hinge is on the other side, attached to the higher end of the 1x6 tile)

You can, of course, move the hinge back or forwards, change the length of the tile, and change the angle of the hinge in order to create other wedge shapes.

In fact, this kind of build is not really among my standards. Because it is not locked.

It would moreover add an angle (and a slot ; not sure it looks that good) on the roof. Not easy to deal with that given that the roof has to be stable and removable.

edit :

btw, if I use the lego parts tolerances, I can tilt the head :

875338DSCN7469.jpg

Edited by Anio

Nope, I won't.

Doesn't look good.

Thanks for the idea, though.

edit : it doesn't look any better if I put a 2x4 tile with cheesy slopes all around.

I see what you mean and agree.

I think your AT-AT is lookin' really good, not an easy MOC at all.

Keep us updated on your adjustments. :thumbup:

Et voilĂ .

414250DSCN7596.jpg

208516DSCN7597.jpg

There is not much I can do about the mini slot (half plate) in the window.

Edited by Anio