Sign in to follow this  
JimBee

Heroica RPG - Quest #29: Journey to Dastan

JimBeeTitle.jpg

Once, the lands of Dastan made up two nations: the Kingdom of the Lion, and the Empire of the Dragon. The Empire was the larger of the two, and its people were famed breeders of dragons. The Kingdom, in stark contrast, was composed of peasants, experts in agriculture, but not in the art of war. Through a series of border skirmishes, the dragon riders of the Empire had driven the Lions back to the arid mountains of Northern Dastan.

History-1.jpg

Magical talent was rare in the Kingdom of the Lion, so most of the peasants dismissed the work of mages as folly. But when one of the mages, striving to transform readily available Mopag Torturous Fruit into a suitable replacement for applesauce and sausages, accidentally created a beast of myth - a chimera - word got around quickly.

History-2.jpg

Raising an army, the Lion's King marched on the Empire, overcoming all resistance and finally camping his army in the plains. With the mage at his side and the chimera in the mountains, he prepared to invade the Empire's capital.

History-3.jpg

With little other choice, the Dragon's Emperor deployed the Dragon Knights - an organized force of professional soldiers - in numbers such as Imperial Dastan has never seen before or since. While dragons kept the chimera busy, the Dragon Knights punched a hole in the Lion's front lines.

History-4.jpg

As his men split the Kingdom's forces in two, the commander of the Dragon Knights, after a short duel, killed the Lion's King. Without their commander, the Lions panicked, and what was a battle turned into a slaughter.

History-5.jpg

The mage fell to a Dragon's spear and the chimera, without the support of its creator, was overcome by the flames of the dragons. The remnants of the Lion Army were rounded up and, together with the peasants who had stayed behind in the Kingdom, were exiled from Dastan. The Empire absorbed what was left of the Kingdom, and began to reorganize itself into the Empire of Dastan, ruled by a triumvirate of emperors.

From generation to generation, the three crowns were passed down. The land, although physically poor, prospered with the three emperors ruling in unison for many years. However, evil is now at it's peak, threatening to destroy what has been built up over time. A large enemy force, whose masterminds remain hidden in shadow, attempts to overthrow the empire. Dastan and its people are in peril, and the three emperors call for the aid of Heroica....

Six chosen heroes ride across the Crystalline Sea on a ship crewed by sailors from Dastan, and from there take horse-drawn carts to the outskirts of the empire. The journey is long, and as the heroes travel they can feel the wind becomes stronger, and the green trees and endless plains slowly disappear to a dull environment. The terrain becomes rocky, void of most plant life. Plateaus cover the horizon, and the journey is uneventful.

Finally, the heroes arrive at their destination in the wasteland, a small settlement nestled between two large, rocky hills. They dismount the carriages, and are greeted by a middle-aged, finely dressed man and his entourage, a group of mixed warriors and bodyguards all dressed in green uniforms.

6953020564_bcfdb4fc5f_t.jpg

"Heroes of Eubric, welcome to Dastan. As you may have guessed, I am one of the three emperors here, Roland Emeraldo. I am very pleased you have come. As you have been informed of, our empire is in peril. A rogue faction of an organization known as the Lion Knights has prepared an invasion. We also believe that one or more other parties are aiding them. Our troops are fully prepared to do battle, but we will need the help of you heroes to assist in more subtle tasks, including finding more about who our enemy is, exactly, as well as aiding our troops.

I assume you are all up to the task since you traveled so far to get here already, for which we are all most appreciative. However, I am sure that I have not explained everything to your liking - for that I apologize, but you see time is of the essence here. If you have any questions, ask now. We will be setting out on our first task shortly."

The Party:

ava-nerwen.jpgNerwen Calmcacil (played by Chromeknight)

Level 6 Cleric

Power: 12

Health: 13/13

Ether: 10/10

Gold: 25

Inventory: Peace (Hammer, WP: 6), Wooden Staff (WP:3), Bedroll, Shovel, Potion, 2x Tonic, Remedy, 2x Nostrum, Fire Bomb, Elixir, Grand Tonic

Rogue.JPGDe'kra (played by Tanma)

Level 13 Rogue

Power: 18

Health: 19/19

Gold: 24

Inventory: Kapura (WP:5, Fire), Pongcanis Dagger (WP:5, Lightning), Shadeaux Dagger (WP:5), Fauxthril Hand Cannon (WP:5, unsuitable), Cloak of the Blue Assassin(SP: 1), Cloak of the Elven Spy, Bedroll, Pickaxe, Shovel, Magnifying Glass, Venom, 6x Potion, 2x Remedy, 2x Ice Bomb, Water Bomb, Smoke Bomb, Phoenix Essence

5919562924_234e287ff9_t.jpgGalen Woodward (played by Fugazi)

Level 6 Rogue

Power: 11

Health: 12/12

Gold: 0

Inventory: Sword of Bashing (WP: 5), Throwing Dagger (WP:4), 2x Potion, Remedy, Venom, Smoke Bomb, Ice Bomb, Bedroll

rsz_img_2161.jpgSarick Lanse (played by Xarrzan) *Party Leader*

Level 7 Mage

Power: 13

Health: 11/11

Ether: 11/11

Inventory: Dragon's Wrath (Staff WP: 6), Healing Staff (WP:5, healing effect), Opal(Ice), Topaz(Lightning) Potion, Tonic, Phoenix Essence, Nostrum

6882536309_34131623d7_t.jpgCronk (played by CorneliusMurdock)

Level 18 Paladin

Power: 30

SP: 9

Health: 38/38

Ether: 19/19

Gold: 30

Inventory: Zoot's Bane (WP:12, Light), Healing Staff (WP:5 Healing effect), Sword of Bashing (WP:5, Ice), Bloody Pointy Stick (WP:1), Ennoc's Blessing (Shield, SP:7), Elaborate Helmet (SP:2), 2x Potion, Holy Bomb, Phoenix Essence, Bedroll, Paralyzing Venom, Blacksmith Writ

heroica_2.jpgXander Unth'or (played by posades)

Level 12 Barbarian

Power: 20

Gold: 280

Inventory: Pongcanis Club (WP: 8), Enigmatic Hammer (WP: 3), Robe of the Pongcanis Champion (WP: 1 Front Row)(SP: 1 Back Row), Potion (2), Grand Potion, Phoenix Essence, Horse, Fire Bomb, Skeleton Decoy, Venom, Elven Bomb

QM Note: Welcome, please check your stats. Posades, could you please explain what the horse does, as well as the Robe of the Pongcanis Champion? Does it add WP/SP depending on your row?

IC: De'kra dipped his head in thanks, glad that the emperor had greeted them in person, and explained the lack of explaination. Already the quest felt different from Quest 4 and 20. "You know motive for Lion Knight attack?" asked De'kra as he bowed, "Last I heard Lion Knights were in war and elves on Uland. Elves lost and treaty was sign, but why knights attack here? Any clues?"

OOC: my stats seem good.

Greetings Emperor. We are most honored to have been chosen to serve you, we will not fail in the tasks ahead. We will do everything in our power to help the Dastan Empire drive back these invaders.

You mention that parties other than the Lion Knights might be involved. Do you have any information about who these may be?

(I turn to my companions)

My previous adventures have left me with only a throwing dagger as a weapon. I believe that this is a ranged weapon that cannot be used in close combat and needs to be retrieved after each attack. If any of you would be so kind as to borrow me one of your unused weapons -- if you have any -- until I can buy something more useful, I would be most appreciative! :sweet:

"You know motive for Lion Knight attack?" asked De'kra as he bowed, "Last I heard Lion Knights were in war and elves on Uland. Elves lost and treaty was sign, but why knights attack here? Any clues?"

"Apparently the rogue faction wishes to take back the portion of Dastan, and more, that was once the Lion Knights - I assume you've heard the legends. We don't have much information, only that their forces are building. We've had some small skirmishes but have been unable to pursue them without keeping our borders defended."

You mention that parties other than the Lion Knights might be involved. Do you have any information about who these may be?

"Rumors, but a sorceress named Wren is believed to be involved. Other than that we are unsure."

"Well met Roland Emeraldo. I am Sarick Lanse. I have heard that there are powerful dragons within Dastan. Will they be employed to defend againssst the army as well? Will we have the opportunity to work with one for our tasks?"

OoC: Stats are all good.

Cronk believes Rogue Galen is able to use Cronk's Sword of Bashing. Cronk is perfectly willing to lend Sword to Galen. Careful sword feel a bit cold.

Did Roland say "Wren"?! Cronk not like Wren. Grrrr. Cronk look forward to maybe bashing Wren later.

Did Emperor have idea of where party should begin?

OOC: Stats are fine.

"Well met Roland Emeraldo. I am Sarick Lanse. I have heard that there are powerful dragons within Dastan. Will they be employed to defend againssst the army as well? Will we have the opportunity to work with one for our tasks?"

Emeraldo nods in greeting. "There are still a few dragons left, but they are rarely seen, let alone used for our armies. The Dragon Knights, the old warriors who tamed them, are all but gone. You'd be very fortunate to see a dragon during your stay here."

Did Emperor have idea of where party should begin?

"Our first task is to venture to the caves of that hill over there." Emeraldo pointed to what looked more like a mountain towering over the settlement. "Our spies have determined that there is a group of cultists hiding there. To our knowledge they are not allied with the rogue Lion Knights, but they cause trouble all the same. We believe they are trying to summon a mythical beast of sorts, a Chimera. A small faction is located in these caves, and while this may seem far fetched, we cannot risk any third-party threats within our borders during the war that is bound to happen."

"However, you have one more among you who has yet to speak. When he and everyone else's questions are answered, we shall head out immediately."

Oh, thank you for your offer Master Paladin! Hopefully I will be more useful to our party wielding the Sword of Bashing. I will make sure to return it by the end of this quest!

OOC: I assume that the Sword of Bashing is considered a longsword, not a greatsword? Rogues are only allowed the former. I have updated my stats with the new weapon.

QM Note: Foog, I've fixed Galen's stats, but there was no extra venom in your inventory. Wait a minute, didn't you mention you were missing one?

QM Note: Foog, I've fixed Galen's stats, but there was no extra venom in your inventory. Wait a minute, didn't you mention you were missing one?

My mistake! It was there all along. I didn't think you had seen my post and I edited quickly, shouldn't have done that! :blush:

I think my power should be changed to 11 though. :sweet:

IC: De'kra nodded softly to himself and commented, "War will exist as harder and few dragons, though I sure Dastan advance since Great Dragon-Lion War. I believe other hero name Arthur also in Dastan, he had skill at war machines. I not know state of Dastan war machines, but it might exist as worth look to seek he."

De'kra reviewed what facts he had found on Dastan, which sadly was lacking. But he had managed to find information on a large war between an unknown group of knights and the Dragon Knights, a war that led to the creation of the Dastan Empire. Apparently the Lion Knights was the other kingdom, which explained why the knights were here. No matter how far you travel, home is where the heartlight is.

"Any knowledge remain about the chimera?" asked De'kra in his high pitch voice, "also, what known about cultists?"

My mistake! It was there all along. I didn't think you had seen my post and I edited quickly, shouldn't have done that! :blush:

I think my power should be changed to 11 though. :sweet:

QM Note: No worries. Power fixed.

"Any knowledge remain about the chimera?" asked De'kra in his high pitch voice, "also, what known about cultists?"

"We do not know much else. I have never heard of such magic, but then they might just be a crazy bunch looking to stir up trouble. We do know that they are numerous, however, and could pose a threat if unchecked. There are rumors of kidnappings in this town, but they have not been confirmed by our spies, and we have determined that the cultists are responsible for missing persons. That is your job."

Nerwen's contemplative nature was observed by the Emperor and she heard herself being addressed.

Bowing low she said,

Thank you for your hospitable welcome, I believe the others have covered any questions I had

Stats fine.

Xander remained motionless, clasping his hands behind his back and observing the Emperor with an intent eye. He had learned to trust no one, but the Emperor seemed sincere enough. Listening to the other heroes' questions, he had nothing to add.

Out of the corner of his eye he noticed De'kra, leading Xander to crack the faintest of smiles. The other heroes he did not know, but they seemed diverse noble in nature.

OOC: Stats look good. The horse gives me +1 to WP if I'm mounted and on the front row, while the robe has the same effect on the front row (or +1 SP on the back row). So essentially I'm getting a +2 WP boost as long as I'm on the horse. Not sure if Brickdoctor ever clarified if it takes a turn to mount the horse, I guess it's up to you? I'd say a fair compromise would be if we have time to prepare beforehand I can mount pre-battle, but if we're caught off-guard then it would take a turn to mount.

Edited by posades

What are odds that cultists have already summoned Chimera? Cronk got feeling that party may meet one soon. What can Roland tell party about Chimeras? Any weakness beside dragon fire?

OOC: Stats look good. The horse gives me +1 to WP if I'm mounted and on the front row, while the robe has the same effect on the front row (or +1 SP on the back row). So essentially I'm getting a +2 WP boost as long as I'm on the horse. Not sure if Brickdoctor ever clarified if it takes a turn to mount the horse, I guess it's up to you? I'd say a fair compromise would be if we have time to prepare beforehand I can mount pre-battle, but if we're caught off-guard then it would take a turn to mount.

QM Note: We can just assume that you're mounted (the horse has infinite usage, correct?) before battle. While it doesn't make sense to have horse indoors, for example, I will allow it since it acts like an artifact.

What are odds that cultists have already summoned Chimera? Cronk got feeling that party may meet one soon. What can Roland tell party about Chimeras? Any weakness beside dragon fire?

"You're asking the wrong person, Paladin. The last time any such mythical beast was seen in Dastan was many ages ago, so no one except perhaps any remaining decedents of the Dragon Knights would know. As for it being summoned... well, it's far-fetched to assume such a thing is even possible."

QM Note: Now that everyone has checked in, I'm going to give until tomorrow for any other questions, etc. before we move on.

Sarick felt a strange sensation. He listened intently to the somehow familiar sounds echoing in his head. After the sounds had finished, Sarick opened his eyes, not realizing he had closed them in the first place. He then motioned to his fellow heroes to circle around.

"I have received a message from the ambassador of the Dragons in thisss area. The ambassador's name is Vipera and it hasss been imparted to me that the Chimera is being summoned into existence once again. A group of cultistsss led by someone named 'Sphinx' is behind this action. Vipera has informed me that we must eliminate any cultists we run into. This action will show us asss friends to the dragons. Has anyone heard of Sphinx?"

Sarick turned back to Roland Emeraldo and said "Have you heard of one called 'Sphinx'?"

I don't have any more questions, but seeing that we're off to explore caves perhaps a couple of torches would be handy. Your Highness, could your men provide us with a few torches before we head for the hill?

"I have received a message from the ambassador of the Dragons in thisss area. The ambassador's name is Vipera and it hasss been imparted to me that the Chimera is being summoned into existence once again. A group of cultistsss led by someone named 'Sphinx' is behind this action. Vipera has informed me that we must eliminate any cultists we run into. This action will show us asss friends to the dragons. Has anyone heard of Sphinx?"

This is fascinating news, Sarick. By ambassador of the Dragons, do you mean actual dragons or Dragon Knights?

That very interesting, Sarick. Cronk would surely rather be friends to dragons than not. Maybe if friends hurry, party can stop cultists before cultists are successful at summoning. Cronk think fighting Chimera would be hard since dragons seemed to have trouble before.

This is fascinating news, Sarick. By ambassador of the Dragons, do you mean actual dragons or Dragon Knights?

"The ambassador is representing the actual dragons."

Sarick turned back to Roland Emeraldo and said "Have you heard of one called 'Sphinx'?"

The emperor seemed surprised at Sarick's 'vision'. "Yes, our spies have informed us that Sphinx is the leader of this cult. We don't know if he's in the hills here but the cultists, we believe, extend far beyond just this small group."

I don't have any more questions, but seeing that we're off to explore caves perhaps a couple of torches would be handy. Your Highness, could your men provide us with a few torches before we head for the hill?

"Certainly, we will provide you any equipment needed at the caves."

"Now, I think it's best we head off. This news of the cultists summoning the chimera supports our suspicions further. If you are all ready, we will begin our ascent of the hill."

Emeraldo and his troops led the party up the mountain, weary for any cultists or other attacks. After a long climb, they finally reached the cave that Roland spoke of. It was dark and dank.

"As much as I would like to help you heroes, I cannot risk my life going in there. You're on your own, but one of my men shall go with you. He's memorized the maps drawn out by our spies, he knows the way."

A man carrying an ax stepped forward.

6953020712_0222d384c0_t.jpg

"Name's Russel. Stick close behind me and you won't get lost."

He grabbed a torch, lit it, and stepped to the mouth of the cave.

"We'll be waiting down the path a ways. If you don't return within a reasonable amount of time, I will assume something has happened to you and send in my men. Good luck."

The heroes followed Russel into the cave. The darkness quickly swallowed them, and the lone torch illuminated the cave walls and many pathways branching off. It was clearly ideal to remain hidden, and to get lost if one didn't know the way. For some time the party took winding turns, and they wondered if they were going the right way. Suddenly Russel stopped.

6953020712_0222d384c0_t.jpg

"You hear that?" A faint sound of tiny feet could be heard. The sound increased quickly, coming from behind the party. They turned around and were surprised by a pack of various cave vermin, looking vicious and very hungry.

7107449201_92802f80ec_z.jpg

PREPARE FOR BATTLE!

Enemies:

Cave Rat A

Type: Vermin

Level: 7

Health: 100/100

Special: Lethal Bite (Causes 7 damage an the Stunned effect on the attacker for the next turn)

Drops: Nothing

Cave Rat B

Special: Lethal Bite (Causes 7 damage an the Stunned effect on the attacker for the next turn)

Cave Rat C

Snake A

Level: 5

Health: 80/80

Special: Poison (Causes poisoned effect on attacker until remedied or the battle is over)

Drops: Venom

Snake B

Special: Poison (Causes poisoned effect on attacker until remedied or the battle is over)

Snake C

Spider A

Level: 4

Health: 50/50

Special: Infest (Clings to the attacker's body for the next three rounds, causing any attacks to it also deal 1/2 of the damage to the infested hero. Also all damage dealt by the spider to other heroes will be directed to the infested hero instead)

Spider B

Special: Infest (Clings to the attacker's body for the next three rounds, causing any attacks to it also deal 1/2 of the damage to the infested hero. Also all damage dealt by the spider to other heroes will be directed to the infested hero instead)

Spider C

Vampire Bat

Type: Flying Vermin

Level: 9

Health: 90/90

Special: Vampire Bite (curses the attacker, forcing them to attack an ally the next round)

Cave Mongrel

Type: Beast

Level: 9

Health: 110/110

Special: Howl (causes the Afraid effect to the attacker, forcing them to the back row for the remainder of the battle or until it is remedied)

Drops: Bone

The Party:

ava-nerwen.jpgNerwen Calmcacil (played by Chromeknight)

Level 6 Cleric

Power: 12

Health: 13/13

Ether: 10/10

Gold: 25

Inventory: Peace (Hammer, WP: 6), Wooden Staff (WP:3), Bedroll, Shovel, Potion, 2x Tonic, Remedy, 2x Nostrum, Fire Bomb, Elixir, Grand Tonic

Rogue.JPGDe'kra (played by Tanma)

Level 13 Rogue

Power: 18

Gold: 24

Inventory: Kapura (WP:5, Fire), Pongcanis Dagger (WP:5, Lightning), Shadeaux Dagger (WP:5), Fauxthril Hand Cannon (WP:5, unsuitable), Cloak of the Blue Assassin(SP: 1), Cloak of the Elven Spy, Bedroll, Pickaxe, Shovel, Magnifying Glass, Venom, 6x Potion, 2x Remedy, 2x Ice Bomb, Water Bomb, Smoke Bomb, Phoenix Essence

5919562924_234e287ff9_t.jpgGalen Woodward (played by Fugazi)

Level 6 Rogue

Power: 11

Health: 12/12

Inventory: Sword of Bashing (WP: 5), Throwing Dagger (WP:4), 2x Potion, Remedy, Venom, Smoke Bomb, Ice Bomb, Bedroll

rsz_img_2161.jpgSarick Lanse (played by Xarrzan) *Party Leader*

Level 7 Mage

Power: 13

Health: 11/11

Ether: 11/11

Inventory: Dragon's Wrath (Staff WP: 6), Healing Staff (WP:5, healing effect), Opal(Ice), Topaz(Lightning) Potion, Tonic, Phoenix Essence, Nostrum

6882536309_34131623d7_t.jpgCronk (played by CorneliusMurdock)

Level 18 Paladin

Power: 30

SP: 9

Health: 38/38

Ether: 19/19

Gold: 30

Inventory: Zoot's Bane (WP:12, Light), Healing Staff (WP:5 Healing effect), Sword of Bashing (WP:5, Ice), Bloody Pointy Stick (WP:1), Ennoc's Blessing (Shield, SP:7), Elaborate Helmet (SP:2), 2x Potion, Holy Bomb, Phoenix Essence, Bedroll, Paralyzing Venom, Blacksmith Writ

heroica_2.jpgXander Unth'or (played by posades)

Level 12 Barbarian

Power: 20

Gold: 280

Inventory: Pongcanis Club (WP: 8), Enigmatic Hammer (WP: 3), Robe of the Pongcanis Champion (WP: 1 Front Row)(SP: 1 Back Row), Potion (2), Grand Potion, Phoenix Essence, Horse, Fire Bomb, Skeleton Decoy, Venom, Elven Bomb

Party Leader, choose the order of actions.

All of you, choose your targets and from which row you wish to perform them from. Also mention if you wish to cast spells, flee, or use an item.

Any enemy not targeted will gain a Free Hit on the party.

QM Note: Very sorry for the lack of pictures. My camera cord is currently unavailable, but I will be sure to upload them tomorrow. I just wanted to keep the quest moving.

IC: De'kra winced at the odds, before commenting, "If leader no object, I attack Cave Mongrel from front row. I blade Kapura deal extra damage to beasts, and mongrel foe heavy hitter that group need to not let get free hit. Bat and rats also big priority." As he readied to attack the shade felt relieved that no wolves were attacking this time around.

Sarick hissed in surprise at the vermin that caught the group off guard and with anger at the snakes that had joined in the attack. "The frost I generate will freeze their blood quickly. If anyone has an ice bomb, now would be a good time to use it. These creatures cannot withstand the cold. The following actionsss of our team will lead to success..."

Battle Order:

--------------

Cronk

Xander

De'kra vs. Cave Mongrel

>Sarick vs. Cave Rat A

Galen

Nerwen

OoC: What is the health on the Cave Mongrel and Vampire Bat? Or are we not supposed to know?

Edited by Xarrzan

OoC: What is the health on the Cave Mongrel and Vampire Bat? Or are we not supposed to know?

QM Note: Oops, it's been fixed. Thanks for pointing that out.