PlaneCrazy

8868 Air Tech Claw Rig or 9397 Logging Truck

Its approaching that time of year and the loverly wife has asked "is there something you would like for your B'day"?

Of course the answer is simple, but the choice is difficult.

I am undecided between 8868 Air Tech Claw Rig (year: 1992) and 9397 Logging Truck (This year).

I am leaning towards 8868 as my collection is a little lacking around the 1990's.

I am more of a collector rather than MOC builder (would like to give it a go some time though).

To me the Air Tech is the genesis of a large number of Technic designs, hence the attraction.

Just interested in the thoughts of others. :classic:

Jamie

Where are you going to get 8868 from? It is an old set and difficult to get hold of.

Of course if you are prepared pay over the odds, you can get them from Bricklink/Ebay.

Where are you going to get 8868 from? It is an old set and difficult to get hold of.

Of course if you are prepared pay over the odds, you can get them from Bricklink/Ebay.

You are right about the price, thankfully I'm not looking for New In Box.

Secondhand from Bricklink without box is generally going around the same price as the logging truck here in OZ.

I am more interested in the design than collector quality.

I work within engineering, so I really appreciate the design behind them rather than the asthetics.

I have the Technic Space Shuttle, very discoloured, but is still one of my favorites.

Jamie

You should ask her for the 8868 Air Tech Claw Rig set, since the 9397 Logging Truck will probably still be available a year from now (like the 8070 Super Car set has been).

8868-1.jpg

For me, this is probably the easiest decision ever, 8868 all the way!

Totally agree with that. Just bought one some minutes ago on German ebay for only 36 Euro (48 USD, 46 AUD). In Germany most of the famous Technic models are very cheap if you buy them used, so you may check the shipping costs :wink:

I brought one MISB a couple years ago, of course it didn't stay MISB for long!

If you get 8868.. then go buy a couple of airtanks to replace the fake ones..

I did it with mine (although I only have blue ones, and you can get white now)

Makes the model MUCH more playable, as the compressor isn't the most powerful in the world.

It's a good fun model to built and play with.. although I always found the main rotate pneumatics *very* touchy to control.. it's the one feature that might have been better geared

RB

Yeah, the compressor is fairly poor. Modifying it so that the full stroke is used is now much more intuative with the new unimog pump. You don't have to create that half stud offset. This should make 8868 much more playable.

Hi, I have the same doubt and I prefere the old "my time" 8868 even because the fork is air powered insted of the one of the 9397 :( and as others suggested you, I'm looking for it in ebay.de 'cause technic is cheaper there.

If you get 8868.. then go buy a couple of airtanks to replace the fake ones..

I did it with mine (although I only have blue ones, and you can get white now)

Makes the model MUCH more playable, as the compressor isn't the most powerful in the world.

It's a good fun model to built and play with.. although I always found the main rotate pneumatics *very* touchy to control.. it's the one feature that might have been better geared

RB

As far as the airtank concerns, where have you putted them?

Thanks Bye Flavio

Edited by Foggy

Get 8868 and be sure to check out the alternative model as well. It may not be the best looking truck out there, but the way it uses pneumatics is, as far as I know, unique amongst the entire Technic theme (and a joy to only watch).

Edit: although with both models, the set is basically worthless if the pneumatics don't work.

Edited by Erik Leppen

I wouldn't mind a studless adaptation of the 8868. That is on my list of studless models to consider. I'm currently working on a studless 8459/8464/8439 Pneumatic Front Loader.

Wow! That looks pretty nice! I'll definitely take a close look at that version when the time comes. Thanks for posting that and for all your contributions to this forum as well. :thumbup:

Get the cheapest one first (The Claw Rig for me). They're very different, but the 8868 is more difficult to assemble, and sports more playability.

8868 all the way! Cant wait to add this set to my collection once my wallet and wife allow me. :laugh:

8868 was the last set I had some time ago before re-discovering Lego now I have kids and can claim to be an AFOL. very good set a must have.

Edited by kieran

Get 8868 and be sure to check out the alternative model as well. It may not be the best looking truck out there, but the way it uses pneumatics is, as far as I know, unique amongst the entire Technic theme (and a joy to only watch).

Edit: although with both models, the set is basically worthless if the pneumatics don't work.

When I was 7 and got 8868 for my birthday I spent an entire weekend building the alternate model, and afterwards I could hardly believe that it worked :laugh:

Edited by Sokratesz

For me, this is probably the easiest decision ever, 8868 all the way!

Thus your avatar. :wink:

8868- absolute classic set, probably my all time favourite along with 8110 its natural successor!...