Sign in to follow this  
zzap64

PF Lights and Trains (e.g. 7939)

I got my hands on a PF light set (8870) to put in my 9739 cargo train. I was assuming I'd be able to light up the front and back lights with my one set but it doesn't look like it's set up like that. It's either both of the lights at the front or both at the back. Back in the 80's the lights came with a prism that did allow one light block to light up both front (or back) lights. Is such a thing available for the current PF lights? I did search on the shop on lego.com but didn't come up with anything.

Paying €7 for a couple of LEDs and a bit of wire seemed expensive enough to light up the train, but if I need two sets to light up the front and back lights... well that's very expensive! :(

Compared to most LEGO prices, most of the PF stuff seems relatively inexpensive for what it is... however, I agree, the lights seem particularly expensive, and I don't like the design of the light element itself, which makes it hard to use, IMO.

Lifelites, while more expensive, are also more flexible - one kit should be able to light both front and back (and cars). I haven't used these, though, although I do toy with my own LEDs and wires.

Edited by fred67

Lifelites, while more expensive, are also more flexible - one kit should be able to light both front and back (and cars). I haven't used these, though, although I do toy with my own LEDs and wires.

Interesting, although I'd have to be ordering a fair few of them to justify the $17 shipping charge to me :(

I figured as much; the prices are excellent for what they are, although I admit to not having bought any because I experiment with electronics myself. But shipping overseas could be burdensome... especially if you miss ordering something useful in the one batch (like lights with 12 inch cords instead of the 6 inch ones they come with).

You could try rolling your own, too. It's not particularly difficult... searching online will let you know what resistors and so forth you'll need. You'd have to spend money up front if you didn't have a soldering iron and other bits and pieces, but I would think overall, if you wanted to light many things, it'd be cheaper in the long run. I also don't like how large the lifelites wires are. But I know that's not everyone's bag to do stuff like that.

I've built the PF-LED-lights into most of my trains. They function as headlight, end light and indoor light. I really like this part, however, at my first order I've only ordered two pairs of these leds, after the order I made a "two week" test, the leds were lighting without switched off. These first pairs perfectly work today, after two years.

One of our LTC members, kvp, discovered a very useful modding: with a little circuit modification you can modify your PF-LED to be polarity-sensitive: only on ot the leds will turn on for + polarity current, and the other led will turn on for - polarity current. It can be used by signal and by trains with direction-depending lights.

Here is a review in Railbrick 9: (attention, flash content)

http://railbricks.com/media/rb9/ Page 21.

(And this year buying PF-LED by LUGBULK was a very good idea. :) )

I have PF lights in every train i own. except 3677.... that would be magic.

on the RC trains its great hooks right up and ready to go. :)