Sign in to follow this  
mrklaw

Reference Material for MOCs

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Hi,

What do you guys use for reference material for MOCs? Other than the movies - are there books that show the relative scale of different ships, or that have enough measurements to figure it out?

A few books I use are

Essential guide

Star wars chronicles

Sculpting a galaxy

Complete cross sections

I also browse the scale model forums

Studio models. A lot of the illustrations are altered slightly to make things look better, and aren't necessarily true to the models used. (if a model exists) A lot of the measurements have been retconned a few times.

Couple good sources are here and here.

in my opinion Wookieepedia is the best source.

From my experience I’m inclined to say that for MOCing Wookieepedia is among the least accurate and reliable sources. Not that I hold that against them; after all, they are primarily concerned with being a canon wiki as opposed to a modeling wiki, and in canonicity the ‘reality’ perceived on screen must of course take a backseat to the ‘reality’ existing within the storyline (need for realism and all that). MOCing isn’t oriented that way.

I would say I generally echo Aeroeza’s view here:

For myself (as a professional visual effects guy) I model from plans at consistent scales all the time so of course my preference is to choose a 17.6 km Executor as was originally envisaged by the ESB production team ('cause that's my job). 'Narrative' is not my job, that's for the script writers, directors and producers to worry about. If they want to change their minds afterwards then so be it- or even license out their product so others can contribute and muddy the waters further and write more books, get that RPG out, make more money and 'expand' the Star Wars Expanded Universe 'till their cup runneth over! That's all great merchandising stuff and call it 'official publication' if you must!

Now I'm not saying 19 km is wrong, after all Lucasfilm seem happy with it (for now), but the physical (or virtual) model remains and I prefer to respect the original creation, designed and built by a team of artists who worked hard to convey a particular and intended 'reality'.

The sources cavegod mentioned are really fantastic and especially useful for more serious scale modelers.

The books I use is:

The Complete Visual Dictionary

It's pretty helpful, with pictures of pretty much every ship in the 6 movies.

Wookiepedia usually works as a starting point, as you pretty much always find some screengrabs or similar there. More of those via Google, etc and other than that, I've got Visual Dictionaries and cross-section books on hand.