harnbak

Community House 12V Layout

Hi there,

I am currently planning my next layout for a two-and-a-half day lego event in my local community house.

Everybody in the coop has been invited to join filling the city of my layout (I expect mostly 7-12 year olds to come).

My idea is Friday to set up a big layout with 12v stuff and Saturday-Sunday having others to participate.

I have tried something similar before, but then I did not announce the event and nearly nobody contributed.

Please see the video created by my video enthusiast neighbour.

Anyways...

My layout will be inspired by ozaceks

I have analysed this layout and created his design in TrackDesigner (please ignore 2 small gaps):

ozaceks_lego_12v_train_dream_layout_800x450.jpg

Please see how elegantly the layout exists of 3 electronically independent loops each of which uses it own transformer.

Trains can run undisturbed on their loop and will only change loop when switches are not straight (easier to control).

Furthermore, I really like how ozacek slightly rotated some of the tracks. Usually 12v layout are boringly quadrangular.

Finally, to cap it all, he has used a nice bridge (tracks with red support) - I simply love bridges!

I do not know what I can achieve in 2-and-a-half days, but I am looking forward to the event and will post some pictures here.

All ideas/suggestions are very welcome.

Edited by harnbak

Are you going to power that with a single trafo?

A single transformer will be enough, but on long runs will be a problem. I've got a long 12v layout upstairs, and what I did to rectify voltage drop is to run the power to a Busbar Terminal block, then add seperate wires to the corners of the track. (remember to observe polarity, when on opposite sides of the track!)

So when the motor is in that location, voltage drops are minimized. I found the train goes constant speed all way round. When I remove a wire, the drop is noticeable...

Edited by Brickimad

A single transformer will be enough, but on long runs will be a problem. I've got a long 12v layout upstairs, and what I did to rectify voltage drop is to run the power to a Busbar Terminal block...

Additionally, I used the following trick to electronically cut the layout in 3 parts with a single transformer each. The idea is good albeit a little bit too advanced for the visiting kids... ;-)

Anyways... It was a fun weekend. I didn't succeeded in half of my original plans and sometimes felt like a nanny instead of a bricke(ngi)neer, but had some good laughs!

Now everything is boxed and stored on the attic and it is time to go to bed...

2012-04-29_23-02-49_hdr-1362955586.jpg

I am already looking forward to the next event!

I never really got to do all the stuff I wanted, but a lot of kids were there - it was fun.

Here a report done by my daughter and her friend for their (7 year old) classmates ;-)

Edited by harnbak