Spencer_R

MOC: The new World Trade Center, New York

Also, looking at some of the models, does 2 plates = 1 storey?

Roughly 2 plates per floor. One stud is about 16.7ft in my "scale", so 2 plates in height is 13.3ft which is reasonably close to the typical floor-to-floor height for commercial office space.

WOW! :oh: Great work Spencer_R! This is the probably the best MOC that I have seen! :laugh: I really love it! :wub:

20,000 pieces! *huh* How many Bricklink orders is that!? :tongue:

LEGOfan123

I have to give this topic a little push! :blush:

Very well made, Spencer_R!

Looking at the first picture I wasn't sure how big this actually is, but I'm nevertheless deeply impressed about the filigree structure you were able to achieve.

For a setting of buildings that doesn't even exist! A wonderful MOC indeed!

And then looking at the beautiful collection of skyscrapers, my jaw dropped one step further downwards. :wub:

All is the same scale! I'd really love to see all this in reality.

I added your BS-folder to my favourites.

Amazing! Just wondering, how did you do the slopes on 1 WTC?

I built a set of sixteen triangular wedges and attached them as pairs back-to-back using various techniques to create eight faces. The four vertical faces are attached to an internal core. The four sloping faces nestle tightly in between the four vertical faces.

As a basic concept, it wasn't too difficult to pull off. However, the real work was in the month or two I spent refining the common edges using trans-clear 1x1x2 panels and cheese slopes to reduce the visual gaps. That process was pure trial-n-error.

One last thing to add to this thread. My friend Rocco has just finished a model of the World Financial Center, which is located right across the street from the World Trade Center site. It is built to the same 1/650th scale as my WTC. We've been collaborating together so that the models can be properly joined alongside their common boundary.

Stay tuned to see a 40,000+ piece microscale slice of lower Manhattan unveiled later this summer at Brickworld. :classic:

1337399872m_DISPLAY.jpg

Edited by Spencer_R

One last thing to add to this thread. My friend Rocco has just finished a model of the World Financial Center, which is located right across the street from the World Trade Center site. It is built to the same 1/650th scale as my WTC. We've been collaborating together so that the models can be properly joined alongside their common boundary.

Stay tuned to see a 40,000+ piece microscale slice of lower Manhattan unveiled later this summer at Brickworld. :classic:

Thanks! I've been looking for an excuse to frontpage this thread for ages! :laugh: (The frontpage was rather busy when you first posted it :blush: )

I look forward to seeing this for real - and shaking your hand - at Brickworld. :sweet:

WHOA. Those skyscrapers, so much transclear parts *oh2*:wacko: absolutely Awesomness.

:wub: Love it alot. Amazing

Holy cow!!! This is stunning...can't wait to see it at Brickworld!

It looks too real to be Lego. Congratulations!

Well, that is just astounding! Very, very nice work!

I just saw this when it got front paged. And wow!!!

WOW

You should put that on Cuusoo!! 20k bricks may be a bit of a problem... no LEGO set have ever retailed for over $400 in USA and that was at nearly 6,000 total (Taj Mahal). This one may get expensive :sceptic:

Wow! That's an awesome MOC, totally outclasses my own amateurish attempts. Even the wife was impressed, helps justify my hobby :)

Well done, I'd love to see this in the flesh sometime.

MM

Your buildings are simply amazing! I am especially impressed with how you've managed to accurately reproduce the shape and glass texture. Also, this thing is huge, I wonder what the planning of such an endeavor was like.

Oh, wow. *oh2* I had no idea mircoscale could be so.....huge. And everything looks so smooth. I especially like the white sculpture and the tallest building. Amazing, in every sense of the word.

Edited by has a differing opinion