Sign in to follow this  
AwesomeStar

Building bridges with Brick, Arch 1 x 12 x 3

Hello,

I'm currently some way down the line of constructing a diorama built in the late 80s CC style featuring Forestman and other sets of that era, in both LDD and real life. I use LDD to plan ahead, test and experiment so that when it comes down to ordering through BL I have just what I need.

However, there is obviously a limit to what LDD can do compared to the real world, and as I'm sure you are all aware this includes 'illegal' techniques and friction. I wish to build a bridge across two parts of the diorama - a span which the Brick, Arch 1 x 12 x 3 fits perfectly - but unfortunately I do not possess two or even one of said part to test for myself.

Here is an image of the diorama so far (I would show you a real life image but it is a fair bit behind this up-to-date version):

7080267299_a87b344614.jpg

LDDScreenShot14 by AwesomeStar, on Flickr

And here is an image of Brick, Arch 1 x 12 x 3 (borrowed from BrickLink).

Now the idea I have is of placing 1x6 plates underneath the parts so that they form a nice arched bridge while still in that Classic Castle style. However seeing as I can't test for myself I thought I'd drop a note here asking if any of you kind folks out there could possibly have a go?

Thanks so much,

-A.S.

Edited by AwesomeStar

Do you mean you want to put 1x6 plates on the underside of the arch, joining two of them together to make the floor? You're not sure whether they'll stick because of the curve?

Do you mean you want to put 1x6 plates on the underside of the arch, joining two of them together to make the floor? You're not sure whether they'll stick because of the curve?

Yep, that's exactly what I mean. I have come up with another variant of the bridge that is built in the same style but doesn't use the under-curve technique. However, I would like to see if this works.

-A.S.

I don't have that exact piece, but

- on a 1x5x4 arch (2339 - as used in the fire brigade), nothing will stick underneath it - no grip at all

- on a 1x6 arch (part number 3455), the arch is four studs long and 4 1x6 plates fit nicely underneath it. Thats a fairly gentle curve and I think you'd get away with something steeper and still hold plates

so.... not much help at all, sorry. Not sure if there is a pattern to whether different sized arches accept studs or not.

Edited by mrklaw

I don't have that exact piece, but

- on a 1x5x4 arch (2339 - as used in the fire brigade), nothing will stick underneath it - no grip at all

- on a 1x6 arch (part number 3455), the arch is four studs long and 4 1x6 plates fit nicely underneath it. Thats a fairly gentle curve and I think you'd get away with something steeper and still hold plates

so.... not much help at all, sorry. Not sure if there is a pattern to whether different sized arches accept studs or not.

Hi, we are working on a part, that could help with an alternative bridge design. Could be used to join two plates, or as a top layer for a bridge - more as a viaduct than an arch bridge. Depends on how big construction you need :) Have a look at our idea http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/37801615/minutebot-base

post-27944-133459024652.jpg