Sign in to follow this  
Makuta

Should Avatar: The Last Airbender be reintroduced?

What do you think?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Should LEGO revisit this theme?

I would say no, simply because this show is not at all popular, and had a very short original run. A movie might change my mind, but I would disapprove at this moment.

If it was unpopular, then why did Lego make the sets?

-Omi

Because they wanted to see if it is popular enough to make a profit, but since it wasn't as popular at the time, it failed. As it was pointed out earlier, it has become much more popular since then, so it would do much better today, especially if TLG were to put some real effort into the sets this time.

As I said, it's not well known to children nowadays. Lego is aimed at kids after all. If you ask kids (ages 6-12) what is The Last Airbender, I ensure you most of them wouldn't know. They stopped showing it on TV a few years back, at least in Canada. It was doing very well when it was on its original run, so Lego took it up. I think the problem with ATLA is that it doesn't sell a lot of merchandise, so the sets would naturally bomb (relative to other Lego lines). I think they learned their lesson after Avatar. Look at all these people wanting Phineas and Ferb sets. P&F is arguably the most popular cartoon on TV right now, but not a lot of merchandise is sold relative to its popularity.

P&F is arguably the most popular cartoon on TV right now

In my opinion that show is losing a lot of hype now.

I think that ATLA does not need to be revisited. It has had a pretty good run, and those who missed it, well to bad for them I guess. If you were really fans of the show you would have bought it when you had the chance :sceptic: . IMO TLC should be expanding their horizons with new licenses such as LOTR and whatever comes around in the future. Except Superheroes, they can revisit superheroes as much as they want :tongue: . By the way I'm completely biased to what I like :thumbup:

Ninjago is more vehicle oriented, there are hardly any buildings. Saying Avatar is too similar to Ninjago is like saying Star Wars is too similar to Space or Indiana Jones is too similar to Pharaoh's Quest. :sceptic:

There are obviously key differences, but I think they're similar enough that TLG might not want both themes out at the same time. Indiana Jones and Pharaoh's Quest are similar - at least, similar enough that they didn't run at the same time.

As I said, it's not well known to children nowadays.

That can be said about the other licensed themes that have been done.

-Omi

Why not do a minifig set, like those 5-minifigs-in-a-box they did a few runs of a while back, and the CMF Series 3 VIP 'figs they're releasing this summer? The way I see it, Avatar: The Last Airbender is the sort of thing more ideally suited to MOCs than to official LEGO sets, there's just a grandness to everything that didn't get translated well last time around. At the same time, official 'figs would be really, really nice to have available, and it wouldn't be as expensive as another entire wave. This way, TLG would be satisfying the niche without necessarily starting up an entire wave or making one big overpriced set that would be difficult to budget for.

Just my $0.02. :wink: I really enjoyed Avatar: The Last Airbender at least what I was able to catch in reruns), I just don't think it would have as big of a market as some other shows. :shrug_oh_well:

Steam-punk airship manned by Samurai armour-wearing Police.

This would appeal to Ninjago fans, aswell as LoK fans.

Why not do a minifig set, like those 5-minifigs-in-a-box they did a few runs of a while back, and the CMF Series 3 VIP 'figs they're releasing this summer? The way I see it, Avatar: The Last Airbender is the sort of thing more ideally suited to MOCs than to official LEGO sets, there's just a grandness to everything that didn't get translated well last time around. At the same time, official 'figs would be really, really nice to have available, and it wouldn't be as expensive as another entire wave. This way, TLG would be satisfying the niche without necessarily starting up an entire wave or making one big overpriced set that would be difficult to budget for.

Just my $0.02. :wink: I really enjoyed Avatar: The Last Airbender at least what I was able to catch in reruns), I just don't think it would have as big of a market as some other shows. :shrug_oh_well:

Good idea. This could be a way to test the waters.

I think another problem with the ATLA theme is that the show is heavily martial-arts based. This is hard to adapt to LEGO, as can be seen in the fairly unconvincing bending from the original sets. Ninjago got around this by inventing "Spinjitzu" as a way for kids to recreate battles. This isn't a deal-breaker, of course, since especially in finales and other major battles in the series there were plenty of vehicles which would make great sets, but unfortunately the original theme eschewed most of these epic battles (apart from an unconvincing depiction of the battle for the Northern Air Temple).

While people are right to say that the show has a huge fanbase, it's also true that it has little exposure currently. When ATLA does air, it does so on the Nicktoons network that is not part of most standard cable packages. And don't forget that Nickelodeon has done a piss-poor job of merchandising the series: any fans remember the outrage over Katara not receiving an action figure? I wouldn't be surprised if some of the faults of the original sets were due to conditions of the licensing arrangement, probably giving priority to the Spongebob line. Korra looks like it might continue down this line; has their been any news whatsoever regarding toy tie-ins to the series?

Would Legend of Korra provide an opportunity for LEGO to give the series another go? Possibly, but the fact that we haven't heard anything suggests this might be a pipe dream. I had thought that the live-action movie might increase the show's exposure, and we all saw how that turned out. I think any continuation of the theme may have to be done as MOCs by fans. LEGO and Nickelodeon flubbed their first attempt at an ATLA theme, and I don't think they're likely to give it another go.

I had to vote no... I'm sad I missed the sets before, and it's not that I wouldn't like them, it's that they've moved on and already have replaced the theme with others. There's only so much they can do.

As a huge fan of the show, I'd love for this to happen. Realistically it probably won't. Only if the Legend of Korra gets more publicity -- there might be a chance for sets to come out of this. I'd love to have an Iroh figure.

For those who said the series didn't last long -- that's due to the story line. Aang had to master three elements and restore balance to the world. The show was more about the characters and their growth. Zuko, Katara, Sokka, and of course Aang -- it was really a character based show. The plot was pretty simple, it was the characters that made the show.

If the Legend of Korra becomes popular enough, I could imagine sets being made.

The show currently takes place in a semi-modern city, so there is a possibility of models that appeal to City builders. :classic:

I suspect that we will never see another Lego set with this theme for 2business reasons. I know it seems harsh, but at the end of the day TLC is a business and we all want it to be a successful and thriving one.

1 while the Avatar animated shows are great. The live action Last Airbender movie pretty much killed any ability of it as a marketing subject. The further licensing confusion in the US between Last Airbender and James Cameron's "avatar" just makes it worse.

2. At this point.any last Airbender stuff would involve TLC creating something that directly competes against their successful product lines. Once again remember in the US The TLC Ninjago show, airing on Cartoon Network can be viewed as a direct competitor for Avatar on Nikolodeon. Further TLC's Ninjago line is already thriving in this basic subject niche without having to pay licensing fees to any third parties.

Also remember that for the most part TLC is very conservative with which licenses they enter into. In almost all cases they select well and have extremely successful product lines. Star Wars, Harry Potter, PotC, Cars, Spongebob. All were very successful and made Lego a great deal of profit. Last Airbender was one of their few unsuccessful licenses. (Prince of Persia is another, but I think we can write that off as an overall Disney thing, so Lego eats the individual PoP failure because overall the other Disney stuff thrives.)

So yeah. I don't think this one will be coming back.

TLC definetly should bring it back. They have commercials for LoK every 5 seconds so obviosly kids know about it and would want to buy it. Also it has the steampunk aspects so many afols want. Also with all of the new minifig parts that came from CMF there is plenty of pieces to make the characters with. And lego could do collectible modular impulse sets that are pices of the pro bending arena with flickfire "water, fire, air and earth bolts."

And lego could do collectible modular impulse sets that are pices of the pro bending arena with flickfire "water, fire, air and earth bolts."

Dont tell that to TLG!! You know they have a soft spot for flick-fire missals! :wink:

Dont tell that to TLG!! You know they have a soft spot for flick-fire missals! :wink:

No flick-fire missiles! *oh2*

Besides, LEGO could just give a basic rock, fire piece, water and just let kids use their imagination (especially for air :laugh:) . Kids, as they get older, don't seem to be in touch with theirs anymore.

I have no interest whatsoever in Avatar, but at the same time I voted yes because "why not?" I want Lego to release many sets that may have interesting pieces/figures. I have no knowledge of The Last Airbender or this Legend of Korra, so I don't know what the figures would look like or what the sets would look like. But if Lego can make something appealing, then why not.

More than likely it won't happen though due to previous stated statements such as Ninjago being a huge hit right now.