Sign in to follow this  
Toa_Of_Justice

Daniela Capricorn

April 18, 2012: Version 2.0 is up. Scroll down or click here to go to the post.

One day, I suddenly got a ton of inspiration to attempt to build Daniela Capricorn in LDD. Every part of her body presented a challenge to build accurately, especially the head and upper torso. I realize the head may seem a little big, but it was the only way I knew how to make it properly detailed. Also, I believe the feet are inaccurate, but I only had this picture with them showing, so I decided to be creative and give her high heels, which look similar to her real feet.

Anyway, here are pictures. Click any picture to enlarge it.

dc1.png dc2.png

dc3.png

dc4.png

dc5.png dc6.png dc7.png dc8.png

In addition, I have some interior structure shots. Some say beauty is only skin deep, but I disagree. :tongue: I'm putting these in spoiler tags, since some people might consider some of them to be indecent. :blush: However, I can assure you that I didn't put too much detail in the body structure--just enough to achieve basic (but blocky) "curves."

Interior Structure Pictures (click to enlarge)

dc9.png

dc10.png

dc11.png

dc12.png dc13.png

No rude comments, please! :blush:

LXF File (Posed) - LXF File (Idle) - Brickshelf Gallery

-Toa Of Justice

Edited by Toa_Of_Justice

This is a pretty decent likeness. A bit bustier than she is in the show, but obviously feminine curves are a hard thing to render in LEGO whether you're working in System or BIONICLE/HF.

Anyway, the torso and head show a lot of attention to detail, but I'm not as fond of the legs and arms. Obviously this is partly a matter of scale-- it's hard to straddle that line between bulky (like the legs) and spindly (like the arms). I think the choice to use the 2.0 building system for the legs might not have been the wisest--a more technic-based build could have given you more control over the width of the upper and lower legs. Not sure what could have been done with the arms, as its the shoulder joint in particular that looks flimsier than it should, and while there are more substantial joint pieces than that, they are not necessarily on LDD.

But anyway, as I said, the torso and head which were almost entirely custom-built are where this MOC really shines. I love the eyes behind her transparent visor, as well as her hair. It's a shame some of Hero Factory's side characters will probably never appear as sets.

That's great! I really like this incarnation of her.

But you could make her arms longer and try to give her these sleeves or whatever is that and different legs, 2.0 style wasn't the luckiest decision. And these feet look awkward some way.

But this head is just totaly awesome. Really greatly done. It's a shame, too, that her breast can't be rounder, but it isn't because of you. Btw this microphone is really nice, too :classic: .

I imagine the shorter torso contributes to the 'bustier' look. If the torso was a stud, maybe two studs higher, or a little narrower, then it would look more like the Capricorn we know. Having said that, I'm rather impressed with the whole thing, really does look like the TV News Reporter, from the hair (love what you did with it at the back) to the face, the straps and the legs. I like that you improvised with the feet, think you made a good choice.

I am impressed with it all, you've done well to capture the character seen on TV.

Now try for Makuhero himself..!

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, everyone!

Anyway, the torso and head show a lot of attention to detail, but I'm not as fond of the legs and arms. Obviously this is partly a matter of scale-- it's hard to straddle that line between bulky (like the legs) and spindly (like the arms). I think the choice to use the 2.0 building system for the legs might not have been the wisest--a more technic-based build could have given you more control over the width of the upper and lower legs. Not sure what could have been done with the arms, as its the shoulder joint in particular that looks flimsier than it should, and while there are more substantial joint pieces than that, they are not necessarily on LDD.

I agree with you about the legs. In fact, I was recently re-watching the Breakout movie, and I noticed that another robot based on Daniela appears to have more complex legs than those on my MOC, with Rahkshi lower legs. I also noticed Toa Metru feet on Daniela's upper legs in this HS01 picture. Sadly, those elements are not in LDD, but I can still see where the upper legs might be improved. I'll update this topic when I have a chance to post a new version of my MOC.

But anyway, as I said, the torso and head which were almost entirely custom-built are where this MOC really shines. I love the eyes behind her transparent visor, as well as her hair. It's a shame some of Hero Factory's side characters will probably never appear as sets.

Thanks! :sweet: Never say never--there's always LEGO CUUSOO. :wink:

But you could make her arms longer and try to give her these sleeves or whatever is that and different legs, 2.0 style wasn't the luckiest decision. And these feet look awkward some way.

Sleeves? :sceptic: I'm not sure what you mean. I'll try to fix her legs to eliminate as much of the 2.0 system as possible. As for her feet, if I can get a better look at them in the TV series, I'll see what I can do to improve them.

It's a shame, too, that her breast can't be rounder, but it isn't because of you.

If LEGO put 2x2 and inverted 2x2 versions of this piece in LDD, I could fix her breasts easily. :blush: (I think I'd also need a curved version of this piece.)

I imagine the shorter torso contributes to the 'bustier' look. If the torso was a stud, maybe two studs higher, or a little narrower, then it would look more like the Capricorn we know.

I'll see what I can do about her upper torso. *adds to Daniela Capricorn MOC revamp list*

Now try for Makuhero himself..!

If I were ever to try building Mr. Makuro (which I'm not sure I'd want to do), I'd want to use use a Noble Kanohi Mahiki for his face, which would save me a lot of time. That's definitely not in LDD though!

-Toa Of Justice

Pretty good, though her legs seem a bit too thick (I guess you could solve this by removing the shell armour).

I'm now tempted to build her inscale to the heroes, even if that means I'd have to make her a custom dress, hair and face (which means I would make her a dress out of fabric, while the hair and face parts would be most likely paper and attached to a Glatorian head).

But there are already other projects which have priority.

Edited by ZORK64

This kind of MOC is hard to tackle and what you have here is a masterpiece.

Thanks again for the comments, everyone! :thumbup:

Pretty good, though her legs seem a bit too thick (I guess you could solve this by removing the shell armour).

I'm now tempted to build her inscale to the heroes, even if that means I'd have to make her a custom dress, hear and face (which means I would make her a dress out of fabric, while the hair and face parts would be most likely paper and attached to a Glatorian head).

But there are already other projects which have priority.

I just fixed the entire model, including her legs. :grin: (See the new version below these responses.) Those sound like great ideas for a real-life version! :thumbup:

This kind of MOC is hard to tackle and what you have here is a masterpiece.

:cry_happy: Thank you!

Am I the only one who thinks her head is too wide?

It is a little wide, yes. But I had to make it that wide in order to accommodate all the details.

And now, here's Daniela 2.0! After taking some reference screenshots from Rise of the Rookies, I realized that her legs are far more complex than I previously imagined. Click the pictures to enlarge them.

dcv2_1.png dcv2_2.png dcv2_3.png dcv2_4.png dcv2_5.png

I realize this upgrade makes her taller than Fire Lord. That could lead to a funny situation...

dcv2_vs_fl_sm.png

:laugh: And of course, the interior shots, again between spoiler tags in case anyone were to question their decency.

dcv2_6.png

dcv2_7.png dcv2_8.png

LXF File (Posed) - LXF File (Idle) - LXF File (Chasing Fire Lord) - Brickshelf Gallery

-Toa Of Justice

I just fixed the entire model, including her legs. :grin: (See the new version below these responses.) Those sound like great ideas for a real-life version! :thumbup:

Oh great, now I'm thinking about HF cosplays. I was pondering about making Optimus Prime, perhaps I'll tackle Stormer or Bulk someday. XD

The inscale model of Capricorn has to waith, though. I've just started to MOC again after a break, and I'm currently busy revamping the heroes into custom designs (which are partly inspired by Transformers).