Rufus

LEGO Team GB Minifigures Discussion

I sure hope these are real, they look fantastic!

Where was this during the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics?! :sing:

I guess Lego where still "testing" the CM theme around that time to see if was going to be a success. Obviously now they know the theme is very popular, they couldn't resist the chance to get a liscence to make Team GB minifigs.

[thinking_aloud]What that picture looks like to me is a bunch of figures designed by nine different people. Like the picture is the first try at them and hence the array of different looks to the outfit design. I haven't the time to check but are they representative of prior Team GB outfit designs? This years is mostly blue and nine figures all with the same quite plain look would be slightly dull visually. Though not as deathly dull as the Liverpool store grand opening exclusive 1960's musical ensemble I shall not name set.

As far as poorly worded internal e-mail's go I've seen far worse from Major companies and official government agencies over here in the UK. Character Options who make the Doctor Who Lego-a-like sets has dreadful customer services e-mails and they speak English as their first language.

I'm guessing that the fact there are nine minifigs as opposed to sixteen is down to costs. Or it betters the chances of people getting a full set.

The timing of this picture showing up seems in line with the way Lego releases show up. Rough shoddy pictures first then silence from TLG then an announcement a few weeks later. And as the Games are in July it all adds up to me.

I'm partly sceptical as I am with all early news of this kind but also slightly excited at the prospect of maybe owning these. Only the Equestrian and archer minifigs don't thrill me as they are in the picture but perhaps final figures will look better.

Roll on official word from Lego.[/thinking_aloud]

Edited by Brickenhead-town-dweller

The existence of these would explain why Minifigures Series 7 was released in the UK already but wont be released in the rest of the world for a few weeks/month yet.

If it is real, does it only sell inside olympics park? Or in uk shops everywhere?

I don't see black base like CMS.

Daniel.

These are apparently going to be in John Lewis and WH Smiths stores and will probably pop up all over the place. Ebay, Amazon and Bricklink will be awash with them. The word 'exclusive' and 'rare' will be liberally applied as an excuse to set ridiculously high prices. :hmpf_bad:

Finally, something we get before the United States!

In addition to the Sun promotionals, pretty much every boardgame, the recent waves of CMFs... :sadnew:

What comments are you linking to? As I've been following that thread and this one and still can't make up my mind. Either my estimations of TLG have gone down, and their internal emails are poorly worded and sloppy, or this is an incredibly elaborate hoax.

What I got from this is that TLG IS releasing an Olympic CMF set. However, the pictures aren't from LEGO and instead are made by an excited AFOL that wanted to make the news. At least, I think that's right...

In addition to the Sun promotionals, pretty much every boardgame, the recent waves of CMFs... :sadnew:

Exactly!!! Not to mention the Marvel sets.....

Ihonestly think this is kinda biased and unfair, as only people in the UK will get these. I only hope that means we in the US get CMF Series 8 first... :sadnew:

I can see an international LEGO Olympic contested coming soon ;)

Absolutely! Hopefully 2 seperate ones:One for making mocs showing olympic events, and the other for making figures of the real life teams of your country.

As for the figures, I hope these are real! My favourites are the boxer(Boxer gear in blue FTW! :tongue: ) and the archer(Black bow and ginger superman hair? Great! Too bad it isnt a compound bow likes hawkeye's. :hmpf_bad: ).

I hope so! A chance to possibly win these for FREE would be great, but even better would be some of the ideas that could come out of it!

That reminds me, I need to get back to work on my CMF Series 6 entry!

I plan on buying 2/3 boxes then having a full set for a competition on my site for anyone to enter :)

These look like a bit of an after thought. Hopefully clearer pictures will show the figures to be better than they appear. I usually like new figures. I really like sports and I'm from Britain but the Olympics is about nations coming together so it would seem silly not to have any other figures from other IOC memebers to compete against. The GB Olympic team have great cyclists too and there is no cyclist included. I would prefer to have Olympic branded sets. I hope other nationalities will receive their own figures. I've always wanted a wide range of flags.

Well, the collector in me certainly hopes they're real. My wallet, on the other hand, hopes they're not. Its going to be pretty pricey to get a set I'm sure.

Too bad it isnt a compound bow likes hawkeye's. :hmpf_bad: ).

Having a compound bow would have been ridiculous as they don't shoot them at the Olympics. They don't shoot longbow either for that matter, they shoot 'freestyle' recurve. Using an existing piece that resembles the right thing makes an awful lot more sense than making a new piece that doesn't though. Possibly it's a place holder and they will make a new piece of a recurve bow with sight and longrod, as that piece would be rather tricky to make and unlikely to ever be used again I don't think they will though.

Having a compound bow would have been ridiculous as they don't shoot them at the Olympics. They don't shoot longbow either for that matter, they shoot 'freestyle' recurve. Using an existing piece that resembles the right thing makes an awful lot more sense than making a new piece that doesn't though. Possibly it's a place holder and they will make a new piece of a recurve bow with sight and longrod, as that piece would be rather tricky to make and unlikely to ever be used again I don't think they will though.

Thanks for the correction. I was just hoping lego would be inaccurate, so we could get MOAR modern bows!!!! :grin:

This is as real as it gets. :sweet:

A pretty hard to get item which is meant to market for exclusive UK, Team GB for the upcoming London Olympics Games! Meanwhile, savour the current sporting champions with all of the available CMFs! It can be a pretty good substitute too. :grin:

13.jpg

Every time I think I have acquired every LEGO sports related piece that exists (for my sports/outdoor/boating/camping/fishing/extreme sports/etc store MOC I want to build someday) LEGO comes out with more I need to track down :(

I plan on buying 2/3 boxes then having a full set for a competition on my site for anyone to enter :)

I'm assuming the link in your sig is the site you're talking about?

Every time I think I have acquired every LEGO sports related piece that exists (for my sports/outdoor/boating/camping/fishing/extreme sports/etc store MOC I want to build someday) LEGO comes out with more I need to track down :(

I wouldn't be sad about new LEGO pieces!

This is as real as it gets. :sweet:

13.jpg

Figure skating isn't a sport. It's just dancing with added jeopardy. :tongue:

I'm assuming the link in your sig is the site you're talking about?

Yep

What would we have to do to get LEGO to give VIPs the ability to purchase this group of minifigs instead of the set they announced a while back and haven't heard anything about lately?

Thanks for bringing us this news! :thumbup:

I myself am most interested in parts in new colors for this series. Other than that I think it is nice that TLG is open to making "special" series like this. I do believe that TLG has hidden Series 8 thus far not to steal hype for Series 7 and these.

These are great. It sad that I most likely won't be able to get all of them unless I want to burn a whole in my wallet. :hmpf_bad:

I'll at least try to get a couple.

Meh... Might only get the boxer, tennis player and swimmer, so that my 'regular' CMF's can have someone to compete against.

I'm definitely going to have to get these somehow.

Sadly Aus doesn't seem to get many exclusives :(