Rufus

LEGO Team GB Minifigures Discussion

Funny how a friend offered to buy me as many boxes of Team GB figures at retail price if I pay for em.. Not sure though. Its a hefty price, but I can easily make profit. Hum.

Edited by jamesuniverse

I just got my Swimmer the other day, and I must say he's excellent! :thumbup: The detail and overall coolness of the figure were well worth the trade. May need to get a few more.

lego should of made it available in the USA or at least a team usa mini figs.

Lego's only doing this for the U.K. because they're the host country, and as such, the country where the Olympics will be getting the most hype. People attending the Olympics, even those from other countries, are likely to want souvenirs, which is what these figs are. People in the U.S. are less likely to want minifigures of a competing team, and it'd be impractical for Lego to produce a series of these for every participating country.

However, if this theme is successful, Lego will probably continue to do these for future host countries, or even start doing these for the host countries of the Winter Olympics. If that happens, then a U.S. team would be made available whenever the U.S. hosts the Olympics again in the future.

Lego's only doing this for the U.K. because they're the host country, and as such, the country where the Olympics will be getting the most hype. People attending the Olympics, even those from other countries, are likely to want souvenirs, which is what these figs are. People in the U.S. are less likely to want minifigures of a competing team, and it'd be impractical for Lego to produce a series of these for every participating country.

However, if this theme is successful, Lego will probably continue to do these for future host countries, or even start doing these for the host countries of the Winter Olympics. If that happens, then a U.S. team would be made available whenever the U.S. hosts the Olympics again in the future.

Oooh yes! I'd love to see a Winter Olympics series of these with all the winter sports parts the Collectible Minifigures have introduced! A figure sskater, a skier, a snowboarder, an ice hockey player... and if they were willing to introduce new parts or creatively use parts other than traditional minifigure accessories, we might even see sports like bobsleigh, luge, and curling! Hopefully this series is successful enough that TLG will continue or even expand this type of promotion for future Games.

Buh...Buh...But...Canada...just...we...Vancouver...2010...we- we just....just hosted...2010...no minifigs...

In all seriousness, it'd be great if Lego released figures for each host country. It's just too bad that they didn't start when Canada hosted the Winter Olympics. :tongue:

Awwww... crud..

Received yet another order from John Lewis, UK.

60 individual packets... So much for the factory sealed case to preserve in the "attic".

The order before this, had the lid torn off =(

Buh...Buh...But...Canada...just...we...Vancouver...2010...we- we just....just hosted...2010...no minifigs...

In all seriousness, it'd be great if Lego released figures for each host country. It's just too bad that they didn't start when Canada hosted the Winter Olympics. :tongue:

:damn:

Got all nine minifigures last week.

It also seems impossible to get the sealed box for a reasonable price (which would be the fulfilment of initial plan). But, anyway, nine is better then none.

Also wanted to post a link to Flickr set here. But not allowed to do that as having less than 5 messages yet. :blush:

7584277096_542cd78f03_c.jpg

I've been in London last week. I picked up two random figs, as a souvenir for the Olympics (I'm not that interested in them). Picked up an archer and the judo girl.

I visited the Lego store in Westfield (near the Olympic Parc) They were sold out there (so I filled a PAB cub), but the Olympic Store on the top floor of WHSmith had like 30 boxes of figures. I came across the minifigures, where they sell Olympic stuff and in toy stores. But they are rarer then regular figs.

Near Leicester Square, it's a 10min walk to Hamleys (which is a huge toy store in Regent Street). I've seen the figs there for sure at the cash desks (not on every floor though). Hope you find them :classic:

Edit: Oh, I just noticed that you visited London last Thursday. Hope you managed to find them!

Hey thanks. I did find them in the end, at the WHSmith at Waterloo station. But they came at the high price of £3,49 per pack. I have no time to take my chance in another store, so I took 20 packs: the store clerk's face was kind of funny then!

I'm still missing the horse rider, so I some are open to exchange ;-)

Cheers,

Wakwak

Just managed to get the full set of nine from Ebay. Only 35 euros :thumbup:

They are unsealed, but still, we have all nine :wub:

I was able to pick some up at Heathrow Airport in London. They are excellent figures, I was really stunned when I found them since I had never heard of them before. The gymnast is my favorite figure. I love the Team GB Lion logo. :classic:

The lion logo is fantastic. I am really glad I got these. They are very special, even if they aren't USA. Aside from TC-14, it's the only exclusive stuff I own. A great set of figs that I can't recommend enough to get your hands on!

Hi All

I have found all my Team GB minifigs at Argos and Toys R us, loads of shops maybe behind the counter. Have a look.

Also singles can be cheaper on Bricklink than ebay, you can buy what you want but have to set up an account, have a look there too.

Try not to buy at WH Smiths unless you have to they are charging £2.49 whilst all the other shops like Toys R us, Argos and Toymaster are only charging £1.99.

Asda were said to be a stockist but not seen any there yet.

ps I am in Leeds.

Andy

Edited by andyhamp

...2 months before the collectable minfigs series 1 were introduced. :wink:

Series 1 was May 2010. By then series 3 was almost released early. :wink:

The team GB minifigs are cool, but I think they have more gold medal accessories than needed :grin:

Hey, we could us some for all our sports minifigs. . . :tongue:

The team GB minifigs are cool, but I think they have more gold medal accessories than needed :grin:

Hey, I'm not complaining. It's a relatively new piece, only having been previously included with the S7 Swimmer. It has a lot of potential applications.

Of course, I do have 60+ of them now...

It'd be nice to get a mix of medals, y'know, just for a bit more realism. But how would TLG go about deciding which sport gets which medal? Some fan might get upset if Lego gave one fig bronze, for example, because they'd assume Lego thinks GB isn't amazing at that sport.:hmpf: It's all tricky decisions for TLG and I'd say they handled it pretty well.

It'd be nice to get a mix of medals, y'know, just for a bit more realism. But how would TLG go about deciding which sport gets which medal? Some fan might get upset if Lego gave one fig bronze, for example, because they'd assume Lego thinks GB isn't amazing at that sport.:hmpf: It's all tricky decisions for TLG and I'd say they handled it pretty well.

It'd be really sweet if the medal color in each minifigure were randomized, but that would be difficult from a production standpoint and could make the "collect-them-all" frenzy even more chaotic as some people sought to get a full set of gold, silver, or bronze medals. Besides, one of the only things I know to have been randomized to such an extent was the BIONICLE collectible packs (some of them would include two of a certain category of mask and three of another category, with each category of mask including a wide range of possible shapes and colors). And given the huge demand for these minifigures I don't think TLG would want to do anything like that which would complicate or slow down production.

You know, it was just a joke about GB not winning a lot of gold medals in the olympics and so the minifigs with gold medals weren't really realistics :sweet:

Edited by Bob De Quatre

I have big news everyone! Or at least for the people in Washington State, USA.

Bobakhan Toys and Collectibles in Everett, Washington has a box of these shipped from the UK! However, they are at a hefty price of $10 each. I am not getting them as they are too expensive for me, and I had ordered my set just before I found out. They are only getting one box I believe, so it is a first come first serve basis. They usually get boxes of other CMF's before other retailers, and this causes fast sellouts, so if you are willing to face the price tag, visit them ASAP.

Thanks!