phoinix

Pre-production design

This is a great topic. I noticed that many images though are since missing due to dead links...

Has anyone made any sort of LEGO website which would compile all known prototypes together? If not, it might be something I would be willing to start...

Here's a couple castle prototypes:

http://www.classic-castle.com/sets/images/...iew/kk/8777.jpg

http://www.classic-castle.com/sets/images/...iew/kk/8778.jpg

Also some at the bottom of this gallery

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=114939

Edited by lordskylark

This is a great topic. I noticed that many images though are since missing due to dead links...

Has anyone made any sort of LEGO website which would compile all known prototypes together? If not, it might be something I would be willing to start...

Great idea! I've been looking for a site with prototypes for years! I'll be willing to help you if you do make a site like that!

Great idea! I've been looking for a site with prototypes for years! I'll be willing to help you if you do make a site like that!

I would love a site like that, especially if it had lots of technic prototypes!

Since I discovered that my first post in this thread has gone limp due to attached images disappearing, I've taken the liberty of replacing those with pictures that are uploaded to my Brickshelf-folder. And just like before, these are sourced from LEGO.com, back when they still had My-Own-Train and such.

trollimpulse1nx8.jpg

Haha I found this one in my Imageshack. I totaly forgot how this impulse was awesome- Notice the armor instead of rat!

Edited by Lordofdragonss

A couple of blog posts by the designers about the evolution of 5893 Offroad Power and 5868 Ferocious Creatures:

http://creator.lego....?date=9/29/2010

The last picture of the croc is not the final model. You can see that the joints and feet underwent several revisions. Those brick built cheeseburgers are are really cool.

hey, i have added some of these images in brickshelf here

also today i found this

great new topic that shows some amazing pre-production design images of the castle theme. so i thought i would revive this old topic..maybe some of you have some new images to share!

enjoy!

Great bump :thumbup:

Wow those castle ones are amazing!

I contribute Seeatron unreleased theme here

Also the Star Wars Visual Dictionary had some nice stuff like the unreleased Yavin Base. :classic:

anyone have more preliminary harry potter pics?

Edited by 10or

Sorry, but what's a reek?

A Reek is a creature from the Star Wars universe that is seen in episode II, in the Geonosian areana battle scene (one of the three creatures that fight Anakin, Obi Wan and Padme). Below is a description from Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary...

Reek live on the Condian Moon, where small herds are highly territorial over their patches of wood-moss turf. Fleshy and plodding, the reek is nonetheless a strong beast and a powerfull fighter. The reek's powerfull jaw muscles are built to chop tough wood-moss chunks into peices, but its bite can nip limbs off even more easily. Unfortunately for the herbivorous reek, it was discovered that the beast can be starved into carnivorism to provide excellent entertainment in the areana, Fed on meat alone, the reek will die, but areana specimens are given just enough plant food to keep them hungry and strong.

It really is a shame Lego didn't make a reek, as the colours would be fanastic, and also the printing would of been brilliant.

Edited by TheKingOfBuilding

This might be a little off-topic, as this isn't a pre-production design, but does anybody have any info on this unreleased set apart from it never being released and being found in a British retailer catalogue from 1996? Does anybody know why it wasn't released?

670px-6500_Holiday_Village.jpg

hey, in my school years I was working at a toys shop and at the beginning of each year we had these catalogs with prototypes of lego products. The models were different looking and stuff. Does anyone have pictures of any protoype models. I knew there were pictures of lego scala in different colors and they've never been released... are there any pictures of city, scala, belville and so on. I like looking at those pictures.

Here's something I don't know if anyone's linked. This shows preliminary versions of some of the most recent Ninjago sets.

Notable differences:

• Black-robed Sensei Wu has black rather than white sleeves.
  • The Fire Dragon's fireball is transparent, which I don't even think is possible with the actual LEGO element (since I don't think it's polycarbonate).
  • The Fire Dragon's painting/printing is preliminary.
  • A placeholder minifigure with a stylized dragon appears in place of Zane fighting the Skull Truck.
  • All of the window panes of the Fire Temple feature writing, rather than the dragon decorations that grace the lower floor of the final set.
  • The Dragon Sword of Fire has a stylized, flamelike sculpt rather than the dragon head of the final mold.
  • The fire dragon's neck is bent at a more extreme angle than is possible in the final set.
  • The mechanism under the Fire Temple's front entryway is built differently.

Additionally, there's this one with a prelim version of Garmadon's Dark Fortress.

Notable differences:

• Garmadon's Dark Fortress has barbed wire along the top.
  • The skeleton arming the flick-fires in the tower is a placeholder, with the Atlantis body armor piece in black and a Fantasy-Era Castle head rather than the body armor and heads from the final theme.

EDIT: Additionally, there's the first video on this page, which gives a very early treatment of the story.

Notable differences:

• The Ninjago logo is different, with the letter J resembling a person.
  • The Golden Weapons are all very different.
  • All the ninjas use the preliminary torsos seen on the white ninja Zane in the first link.
  • Garmadon, whenever he appears, has four arms-- a trait later given instead to the skeleton general Samukai.
  • The ninjas are discovered in different places, all very decidedly modern Amusingly, Jay, who will wield the Nunchuks of Lightning, is playing a Nintendo Wii using the controller accessory referred to as the Nunchuk.
  • Sensei Wu uses the traditional LEGO "Wizard Beard" and a simpler hat.

Most other aspects make it hard to identify differences, since the majority of the video is in a cartoon style rather than using detailed photos, renders, or video of the models themselves.

Edited by Aanchir

I've found a few sketches of collectable minifigs and pirates on Michael Patton's page at Coroflot

148530_qOFhJrRka1N_tAwPd9ZBbkavD.jpg

148530_tCyIJKdPxrv6Q_4EXOvrPk9Ts.jpg

Many other LEGO set and graphics designer's portfolios can be googled here

The next sketches are not set designs, but more like inspirational artworks for theme designers. On Mike Rayhawk's page you can find inspirational artwork which were used when developing Knights Kingdom theme and LEGO Universe

Edited by NickAb