phoinix

Pre-production design

I would like to see the prohibition theme donme today - afterall, we have a gansters car from the Indy sets, and Lego seem to be more at ease with the 'war and guns' issue...

Exactly, the Indie sets are the most violent to date, Mobsters isn't much differetn athan the gangsters in the Indie series.

3767387140_748785d6b4.jpg

Hmmm...

The Fire Station's shape looks a bit familiar somehow.

10197's ancestor?

Edited by Zorbas

The building on the corner would make a great set in any theme. I would love that sort of small restaurant with the awnings.

The building on the corner would make a great set in any theme. I would love that sort of small restaurant with the awnings.

That would be a great set. It's small so it probably won't cast more than $30 so I could get it :thumbup:

3767387140_748785d6b4.jpg

I agree with you, It's really nice!

LEGO increased details in the last sets, and tried to make scaled-buildings; this is because I won't ever buy such a set.

In fact my entire collection respect the legendary way of building typical of the '80s!

If they will ever produce the Gangster-theme, I really hope they will keep the '80s style of building and the warm colours shown in the picture.

Edited by arturo83

hey guys this is my first post in ebs. btw I belive i found some prelim Home One pics in the Tantive 1V. :wacko: they used plokoons head for Ackbars head? Luke Sky walker in clluded?

hey guys this is my first post in ebs. btw I belive i found some prelim Home One pics in the Tantive 1V. :wacko: they used plokoons head for Ackbars head? Luke Sky walker in clluded?

Do you have pics?

hm... a company this size usually has an archive for these things. However, that may only be accessible for historians doing a Phd on the Lego Group, depending even on the family and the board.

i also wonder why we don't have interviews with designers of the past. Surely several have been retired by now and shouldn't be to difficult to locate. I wonder why 'Brick journal', Lego ambassadors, websites or Lego themselves haven't tried to get them talking about the sets of the 80's. Who came up with the idea of the galaxy explorer? what did yellow castle's prototype look like?, stuff like that...

I would love to see prototypes for the big technic sets of 1988-1996. Especially the 8480 space shuttle. Like the forklift I would fully expect it to look hideous as technic's main goal is functionality. That forklift was fully fuctional, the looks came later.

I do remember seeing a prototype of the control centre 2 at legoland windsor, I soooooooooooooooooooo wish I had taken at least one picture of it. Yes it looked hideous but it was ALMOST fully functional and very interesting to see. The base was similar to this model from the 8891 ideas book http://www.peeron.com/scans/8891-1/83 and the helicoptor itself was red.

Yes doing some interviews with former Lego designers from TLG would be really interesting!!! I just bumped into this thread by accident and has been the best read I have had in a while! Fascinating stuff! Having grown up with 12V trains I was shocked to see those amazing 12V prototype sets that were never produced. That crocodile is quite similar to the 2 which are currently competing for Eurobrick Category II Train competion. That front section on the red protoype loco would have been a great part for many aplications. :sad:

Edited by missouri_bb63

I did an interview with retired LEGO designer Jens Nygaard Knudstrup - inventor of the Mini-figure and LEGO Space and Underwater themes (he designed all of the first wave classic space sets) in issue six of Brick Journal, and there will be an interview with retired LEGO Designer Daniel Krentz, designer of the Yellow Castle (and many subsequent castle sets) in issue Eight.

Brick Journal will continue to interview LEGO designers past and present in future issues, and also to give as much information as possible on never released themes such as this 30's prohibition/gangster theme. It's a great publication, despite me occasionally writing for it!

Cheers,

M.

I did an interview with retired LEGO designer Jens Nygaard Knudstrup - inventor of the Mini-figure and LEGO Space and Underwater themes (he designed all of the first wave classic space sets) in issue six of Brick Journal .....

Cheers,

M.

I think I'll try and find this issue, sounds really interesting. Btw. is brickjournal also available as a pdf or similar document on the web ?

I did an interview with retired LEGO designer Jens Nygaard Knudstrup - inventor of the Mini-figure and LEGO Space and Underwater themes (he designed all of the first wave classic space sets) in issue six of Brick Journal, and there will be an interview with retired LEGO Designer Daniel Krentz, designer of the Yellow Castle (and many subsequent castle sets) in issue Eight.

Brick Journal will continue to interview LEGO designers past and present in future issues, and also to give as much information as possible on never released themes such as this 30's prohibition/gangster theme. It's a great publication, despite me occasionally writing for it!

Cheers,

M.

You're right! I actually remember reading that. That was a great article, I will keep an eye out for the next one. :thumbup:

I would love to see prototypes for the big technic sets of 1988-1996. Especially the 8480 space shuttle. Like the forklift I would fully expect it to look hideous as technic's main goal is functionality. That forklift was fully fuctional, the looks came later.

I do remember seeing a prototype of the control centre 2 at legoland windsor, I soooooooooooooooooooo wish I had taken at least one picture of it. Yes it looked hideous but it was ALMOST fully functional and very interesting to see. The base was similar to this model from the 8891 ideas book http://www.peeron.com/scans/8891-1/83 and the helicoptor itself was red.

These are some early star wars prototypes from the very first release. I can't remember where I got these, but I've had them for years...

speederbikes.jpg

I think these prototypes are pretty cool, especially the speeder bikes. I think they are so much better than the final design...

I've just been through this thread again and I found it funny that they used the trike piece in the preliminary of the first design of the speederbike and then waited all those years before using it in the last version we got in the endor set...

Here lies another reason why redesigns do have their interests. It would be interesting to see the different prototypes of the many police stations and other sets of the kind, to see which features of the released ones are evolutions and which are from previous preliminaries...

pictures of prelims and themes that never made it found on brickshelf.

space.png

castle.png

castle_bizarre.png

divers_bizarre.png

divers_giant_sub.png

divers_old.png

Can you spot the buffalo in the old western theme that never made it?

western_old.png

here is a close up!

western_old_zoom.png

a theme that never made it! Napoleontic??

napoleonic.jpg

Found this prototype picture of the recently released carousel on Brickshelf.

10196_prototype.jpg_thumb.jpg

Great find!

I personally think that this version is as good, if not better, than the version that we got.

There are fences surrounding the carousel, and the side of the roof is very colorful!

Also, there is a ticket booth, which most rides have.

10196_prototype.jpg_thumb.jpg

Wait, I thought the Grand Carousel was a MOC that TLC liked so much that they had it mass-produced?

Anyway, I am loving this thread!

Great find!

I personally think that this version is as good, if not better, than the version that we got.

There are fences surrounding the carousel, and the side of the roof is very colorful!

Also, there is a ticket booth, which most rides have.

I would have this one too. I would rather have a realistic set than a set with PF.

*revives the old topic "LIVE! LIVE! DON'T DIE ON ME!"*

I really think the boxes mostly changed, not the sets, of Toy Story 3. (though, I really liked the original boxes better then the current ones)