phoinix

Pre-production design

Wow. I think i like that one better than the production version! I can see why he needed to change the design for the digger scope in the front. If it were brick built like in the preliminary, it wouldn't have lasted one swipe of a rock monster.

I might mod mine to lood more like this one!

Yes, I agree. They should have stuck with this design. :wub:

In my opinion this one is much better than the one released.

I would have bought this one as a no brainer.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Where did that come from? :look: Were there any more? I love this thread. :wub:

I found it on the 2008 LEGO SpongeBob SquarePants sets forum. :classic:

I wish we could see some prelims of some REALLY old sets, say early 90s.

I posted some prototype trains a few pages back, but that's a while ago (and I've since cleared my attached files) so I'll re-post them. These are from the 80s, with a pair of prototype 9V trains, as well of two prototype 12V trains. Notice the use of parts that were never released, such as the nosepiece on the red loco, the 34 studs long baseplate for the car it's pulling, and the 1x3x5 doors on the brown crocodile locomotive.

und360x230us0tog11.jpg

und360x230us0tog14.jpg

und360x230us0tog4.jpg

und360x230us0tog9.jpg <- This eventually became the legendary 4558 Euro Express aka. Metroliner.

These pictures were actually released on to LEGO's train site, as part of a interview with a train designer, and as such were available to the public!

The first one you posted looks great. I don't think that ever became an actual set.

I like the final version Metroliner better than the prototype, since it looks like a lot of real world train systems with its color scheme.

Wow, the 1st and 3rd train are amazing, why did they pick the metroliner over them? (metroliner is a good train, only I hate that the front window frames are black, it messes up the design)

Wow, the 1st and 3rd train are amazing, why did they pick the metroliner over them? (metroliner is a good train, only I hate that the front window frames are black, it messes up the design)

Yeah, those are pretty great trains. I still liked the metroliner though.

The Viking and Dino 2010/Attack sets are surely much better than their released counterparts I think. I wish TLC had come out with that mighty reek as well. There are so many good prelim sets why change them so drastically I wonder. Great thread :sweet: . That trans skele horse and rider looks great too.

Edited by Skipper 24

The Viking and Dino 2010/Attack sets are surely much better than their released counterparts I think. I wish TLC had come out with that mighty reek as well. There are so many good prelim sets why change them so drastically I wonder. Great thread :sweet: . That trans skele horse and rider looks great too.

Where are the Dino Attack prelims?

The dino attack pics are on page 3. Just look at the mutant lizard in the box art of 7474.

Edited by Skipper 24

I completely agree with you :thumbup: Those prelims are way more cooler!

What's the picture that says "batteries included" on the preliminary box for mission 6 for? The projector? Does the actual set have batteries included?

Edited by ILikePi

What's the picture that says "batteries included" on the preliminary box for mission 6 for? The projector? Does the actual set have batteries included?

The light unit has built in batteries which are included.

how the cow was designed

devepolment-cow.jpg

and a few images on how a power miners set was developed

development-sets_8958-01.jpg

development-sets_8958-02.jpg

development-sets_8958-03.jpg

development-sets_8958-04.jpg

development-wheel-power-miners.jpg

Edited by phoinix

There are some *amazing* pictures of prelim Space Police III sets in the new issue of Brickjournal (Issue 6, Vol 2).

It's well worth the small download fee.

The pics make me so wistful about what the line ended up looking like! :cry_sad: