phoinix

Pre-production design

I do like the prototype city crane better. Especially the cabin for the crane operator. It looks much more like classic town design than the final model.

Yes. Lego after running out of Mearsk blue pieces was gonig to make the set in either dark blue or dark green. They even let us vote on it, dark blue won. So they were about to make a dark plue boat when Mearsk wanted more sets to be made so Mearsk bought Lego the blue they need and made more. These sets were shelved.

When did the Mearsk set come out? around 2002? I never saw it :-( I would have bought it just for the containers :'-(

I think the containers are brick made...with stickers :-/ . I can't confirm as I never had this set.

When did the Mearsk set come out? around 2002? I never saw it :-(

The first edition (and by many considered the "real" edition) came out in 2004. In 2005 the second edition came out. This one differed from the 2004 model only by having the label "2005 Edition" on the box without the model itself being any different. Many who bought the ship 2004 model to have a "limited edition" were a "bit upset" (like with the first "limited edition" Santa Fe Super Chief locomotive for which there were authenticity certificates available at least which wasn't the case for the Maersk ship).

I think the containers are brick made...with stickers :-/ . I can't confirm as I never had this set.

They are, and since the entire ship isn't minifig scale they are (a lot) smaller, too:

052.jpg

How anyone's supposed to stay sane building 44 near-identical containers i've no idea! :-P ;-)

How anyone's supposed to stay sane building 44 near-identical containers i've no idea! :-P ;-)

Not to mention indiviually stickering them 88 times! Ensuring that they are not out of place, stickered the right way and that they are placed on the right container (ya know, stickering the dark containers with the dark stickers and light containers with the light stickers) :-P :-| *wacko*

Not to mention indiviually stickering them 88 times! Ensuring that they are not out of place, stickered the right way and that they are placed on the right container (ya know, stickering the dark containers with the dark stickers and light containers with the light stickers) :-P :-| *wacko*

I was sane enough, and believe me: It's hell doing it :-P

-l2k-

How is it that they can make stunningly cool prototypes and completely suck sets?

Probably around the time that the bean counters in suits get their hands on the designs and cheap it all the hell out to save money.

I bet more than one Lego designer has jumped out their 4th story window after seeing what a mutilation job their hard work underwent.

Which is odd, because (especially in Bionicle's case). they THROW AWAY the budget for the sets on some of the stupidest, unfun gimmicks.

(Free the Band, Squid Launchers, Rhotuka... )

When browsing the Wallmart site I think I found on the 7709 Sentai Fortress page what it seems to be an early build of the set :

Proto : :-(

7709Proto.jpg

Final: :-)

7709Final.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong or if it has already been posted. *yoda*

The feet on the proto blue mecha remind me a bit of a rabbit. It looks a bit flimsy as well. Considering it's an impenetrable fortress.

Heres a pic i found along time ago of some unreleased beasts, oh and check out the ship behind.

starwars_unreleased.jpg

Nice reek! Not to sure about the acklay and the ship behind is a early swamp speeder model. I would like to see that reek!

The Clone Scout Walker looks smaller in the pic where it's red. Not sure though. And why is Grievous stood up? Other than that, they look pretty much the same as the finished products.

Anyway, look what I found (prepare for picture overload!), this crane is very similar to the prototype but the box art in the background is the final one.

Wow! I have never seen this picture. I am considering making a hybrid of this design and the released one. I ended up breaking mine as 12 wide is too wide. :'-(

When browsing the Wallmart site I think I found on the 7709 Sentai Fortress page what it seems to be an early build of the set :

Well this is a clear case of the finished set being better than the prototype. I haven't seen this photo either.

If anyone has any clearer shots of the prototype 8421 I will love that person forever. What I am looking for in particular is details on the chain link in the boom. This picture...

8421sm.jpg

...is the only one that I have ever found. The chain link is more obvious in the larger image. (1964x2608 picture in folder.)

Great topic! It's very interesting to see part of the design process. I have to admit that a lot of prototypes look more promising than the actual set, which is really a shame. Some of the alterations really puzzle me, like the removal of the beards in the Viking line. Even from a marketing point of view this seems totally illogical, since it greatly reduced the overall appeal of the sets. Also, I really liked the Kraken and the prototype designs of the Viking torso prints.

And I have to agree with the City fans that the prototype crane looks a lot better proportioned and sleeker than the final product, especially with those nice rounded slopes.

By all means, please continue to post pictures of prototypes, I'd love to see more!!! :-D

Hey guys,

I don't know if youve seen these

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=175711

I dont know if theres much of a difference in these but i think a few sets look different.

I know these are on another thread but i think looking at these preliminary Castle pics are interesting... *skull* *knight*

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2285642

DP8

Edited by darthperson8

Wow! I have never seen this picture. I am considering making a hybrid of this design and the released one. I ended up breaking mine as 12 wide is too wide. :'-(

That is why I never bought this one. The prototype, IMO, is sooooo much better. It was just a thing of beauty and the almost <insert that tiresome argument> the final product... :-/

I would love to see your hybrid!! *wub*

Heres a pic i found along time ago of some unreleased beasts, oh and check out the ship behind.

starwars_unreleased.jpg

wow look at those beasts. Im really mad they didnt release them. Did ayone notice those castle cone hats in tan on the red beast? Jeeze dont tease us like that Lego! Its just really lame. I'll admit they need some work though.