Sign in to follow this  
DopedCow

Tribute to Childhood memory

Hi guys,

After a long time building out-of-the-box sets I finally decided to give it a go on my own. The original Guarded Inn (6067/10000) was my all-time favorite as a child and I was equally in favor of the Falcons. So combining the two I ended up with this blue remake - the red felt wrong for the Falcons.

/. Doped Cow

Guarded Blue Inn 05

post-27836-133388744274.jpg

Edited by DopedCow

Very nice - I love the bird, and I really like your stonework on the floor. The blue works really well in the building, and the highlights of gold are nice too. :thumbup:

Some more pictures from different angles would be helpful. :classic:

Hello, welcome on Eurobricks.

I have the original also and I find this a very nice recreation of this set with pieces and building technics of this time.

Well done!

Very nice, the blue works surprisingly well and the inspiration is immediately evident.

Does the front hinge? If it does, like the original did, then extra points!

I agree, that blue looks better than the original red. Great work! I've always been a sucker for blue/white color schemes. :grin_wub:

Yep that looks like the Guarded Inn, that was my reaction before reading your description. Great job on paying homage to an awesome classic set.

Nice work, the Guarded Inn is one of all my all time favorite castle sets. I like the way you've created your own interpretation of the set rather than simply swap the pieces around. I particularly like the stone paving and the improved entrance. The brick built castle wall is also an improvement over the original.

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your comments. They encouraged me to go back and revisit the original since I felt there were a few things missing.

6915689620_c87059f49e_c.jpg

So now it hinges default_classic.gif (se the new pictures @Flickr) and the pond is detachable from the building (the stork will return in another interpretation of the Inn).

I like the blue/white combo as well (obviously default_satisfied.gif) but I would love to see it done in dark green or black/dark grey. My only problem is deciding for which faction the dark green version should be aimed; the original forestmen supplemented with the one from the collectible minifigures, the new dragon knights or perhaps a band of the leprechauns.

/. Doped Cow

Very nice, looks very much like an old classic castle set

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your comments. They encouraged me to go back and revisit the original since I felt there were a few things missing.

6915689620_c87059f49e_c.jpg

So now it hinges default_classic.gif (se the new pictures @Flickr) and the pond is detachable from the building (the stork will return in another interpretation of the Inn).

I like the blue/white combo as well (obviously default_satisfied.gif) but I would love to see it done in dark green or black/dark grey. My only problem is deciding for which faction the dark green version should be aimed; the original forestmen supplemented with the one from the collectible minifigures, the new dragon knights or perhaps a band of the leprechauns.

/. Doped Cow

Ah, fantastic! I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the Black Falcons, and this is instantly recognisable as an update of the original set. Very nicely done indeed. I prefer the overhang in the eaves you introduced in the newer version... and is that a Leprechaun's pot that you've put the plant in?

I've just seen the hinged version and that really did bring a smile to my face, an excellent rendition of a complete classic.

If the next castle line (after LOTR) re-introduces the concept of a modular castle wall then this should definitely be up for inclusion within. A couple of tweaks here and there to make it buildable from instructions and to have a sensible price point and it would be a high seller amongst the AFOL's and do well amongst the wider castle buying public.

Looks very good, the blue white combo is nice. This is how it should be done :sweet:

Ah, fantastic! I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the Black Falcons, and this is instantly recognisable as an update of the original set. Very nicely done indeed. I prefer the overhang in the eaves you introduced in the newer version... and is that a Leprechaun's pot that you've put the plant in?

Yes that in the Leprechaun's pot. It is my main reason for collecting the Leprechaun. default_satisfied.gif