Sign in to follow this  
Frank STENGEL

WIP: Du Bousquet Locomotive

While tinkering with my three axle coaches, I started looking for something different and I fell on this:

640px-FLEURY_-_CCCC_-_LES_LOCOMOTIVES_-_MAchine_de_grande_puissance_pour_traons_de_marchandises_..._série_6100.JPG

Two articulated trucks giving it a 0-6-2+2-6-0 (or 031-130 à la French) wheel arrangement. Quite an interesting oldie isn't she? So here I am thinking I could build the beast. After looking the measures the thing would be 39 studs long in 8 wide and about 10 bricks high.

For practicality purposes, I am changing the wheel arrangement into 0-6-0+4+0-6-0, with the centre truck sliding under the body (I will use a similar system as the one on my three axle coaches) The motor trucks are finished (I'll post a photo asap). Here is a picture showing the current stat of things (the colours aren't the final ones; I am using these to separate the different parts):

1333811335m_DISPLAY.jpg

It is going to be a twin medium PF motors, IR controlled locomotive. The battery will be a Lipo hidden in front of the front motor...

Still a WIP, but we are getting there... See the pictures:

7267460928_d5f9767f44_z_d.jpg

7267461422_b510c92836_z_d.jpg

7267460480_ee6b142a0e_z_d.jpg

Now for some detailing... By the way, for the buffers, which of the front or the rear look better?

This is an interesting looking engine. I can't say I've seen one with the smaller wheels in between the larger drive wheels. Great job so far, I'm looking forward to seeing it's completion default_classic.gif

This looks a lot better than I thought it would, I will be interested to see how well it copes with points and curves. I think black is a good choice for this engine, it looks better than the green I feel that the loco seams rather heavy goods traffic and industrial, so black sits well with it.

I have to say though, the real buffers look a lot better. Can't fault you for trying different methods though.

This looks a lot better than I thought it would, I will be interested to see how well it copes with points and curves. I think black is a good choice for this engine, it looks better than the green I feel that the loco seams rather heavy goods traffic and industrial, so black sits well with it.

Well, the green was just so that when designing I could have a better idea of what I was doing: one colour = one block...

The actual colours of the locomotive were (milk)chocolate brown for those that ran on the "nord" network (they were the first produced), black with gold trimmings (hard to do with stickers) for the "ceinture" and "est" ones and, starting in 1938, dark green with golden trimmings on the tanks and black for the boiler. I am going for a variation on the "est" livery. All had red buffer beams. I'll have to sticker up...

Fore some nice models and an idea of the actual colour schemes see there and there...

While researching for the locomotive, I found that there were four different variants according to wether there was a tank above the boiler and wether that tank was simple (and fat), double or triple. Worse, nowhere could I find an explanation for what that tank was for. Any ideas?

I have to say though, the real buffers look a lot better. Can't fault you for trying different methods though.

By real, do you mean the "all in one" lego ones (brick link parts 4022, 91968c01 etc)?

I will be interested to see how well it copes with points and curves.

Curves, S-curves and points: no problem whatsoever. It actually runs with three trucks 060+040+060 the centre one sliding (in UIC style it would be classified as something like C+2+C). I'll post a video asap...

This post has been dormant for quite a while. I was remidned of its existence when @brick-builds exended another of my old ones. So, this is not anymore a WIP. After a (far too) long shelving, I finally finished the project last spring during lockdown and... again forgot about it.

Here is a quick video of the finished loc:

51075088933_fb488119c1_z.jpgdu Brisquet by fstengel4, sur Flickr

It is only pulling 3 cars since I had to move the whole lot to get more light.

Edited by Frank STENGEL