Here I will post my work on this project. My attemp will be a front shovel, I know there are a couple very good but my intention is to use linear actuators in the arm and maybe one or two small pneumatics in the dipper, I want too that all engines are on the same site as in 8043 that is the challenge and the difficulty. I donĀ“t know what model I am going to do, I am still looking but the big problem will be to do one that is in appropiate proportion with the Lego linear actuators. I think I will use minimum 5 motors, 6 big linear actuators and one or two small pneumatics... we will see if I am right.

You donĀ“t need time if you are fast :laugh:, I am still looking machines. Thanks for your interest, I will try to do my best, maybe can be one of these... Another problem will be the linear actuators position, I like to be realistic but I will have to put the first ones and the third ones the opposite to the original, of course colour wonĀ“t be white, yellow or red I think...

6261mid.jpg

6263mid.jpg

6272mid.jpg

A WIP pic, undercarriage is almost finished I have to test with weight but I think it works, it is like the 8043 undercarriage with modifications. The arm is mauch more hard to build it... another one difficult thing will be the motors zone, gears, gears and gears... :cry_sad:. Sorry about the blue pic...

dscn5556.jpg

I need some advice... I tested the shovel with weight and two normal motors, one for each chain and woks fine but I think maybe I could use a subtractor system to can use a fake engine too because there is more room, new experience to me :laugh:. The question is... a subtractor system with two normal motors will move the machine? or maybe I will need one XL in the system...

@ jorgeopesi: Have you seen Sariel's Subtractor webpage? He has several different designs and lots of pictures. :thumbup: If you use one Power Functions XL motor, you will have to adjust the gear ratio of the (remaining) PF Medium motor if you want your creation to move in an arc: "Subtractor is an effective and easy to steer drivetrain system for tracked vehicles. Basically, it allows to steer a tracked vehicle like a regular car: one motor drives it forward/backward, and the other makes it turn. It can be used as an advantage, by using a more powerful motor to drive, and a less powerful one to steer. An unique feature of a subtractor is the possibility to use both motors at once, and thus to make the vehicle turn in an arch. The arch can be calibrated by choosing a specific gear ratio for the steering motor."

Thought it looked strangely similar to the undercarriage of the 8043 Tracked Loader model, quite a bit more complex than that model though, like the rubber you put on the tracks...

A WIP pic, undercarriage is almost finished I have to test with weight but I think it works, it is like the 8043 undercarriage with modifications. The arm is mauch more hard to build it... another one difficult thing will be the motors zone, gears, gears and gears... :cry_sad:. Sorry about the blue pic...

More work, red points are where I will put motors, in the middle XL motor and still missing two, the one who change the functions of all motors and another for the autovalve who opens the dipper, 5 motors inthe end. In the pic you can see the subtractor system but I think I will have to discard because it makes too long the machine. The tracks are similar of the 8043 but it has a 4x4 gear system because I didnĀ“t know if only 2 traction gears would be able to move the rubber chains with a lot of weight.

dscn5557z.jpg

The great solution, I have a big idea, I have to put the subtractor in the tracked part... I have enough room below and I will have more room up... How I didnĀ“t realize before?... it's time to disassemble :cry_sad:.

Edited by jorgeopesi

Sorry for repost, here is the new undercarriage with subtractor added, I used a lot of gears... 26 12th gears and all of them importants, the most important thing is that it works and I can use a fake engine finally, letĀ“s go to the top again... Sure you can see only 4 36th gear, I have a few on the way...

dscn5558i.jpg

dscn5559n.jpg

I have a dislike but always there are people who like to dislike :laugh:.

That was me...........:laugh: (just kidding)

That was me...........:laugh: (just kidding)

I know and I know too where you lives :laugh:, first of all the sense of humor after that love and technic of course :laugh:. I wrote this in case my wife reading, kidding again :laugh:.

Progress looks good. i assume that the upper carriage will not spin when the rest of it is built?

tim

Of course not, one of the 5 motors will do the work but I donĀ“t know which one :laugh:. I though that with 5 motors I will have 8 functions and I only need 7, trasmision, change trasmision, dipper with autovalve, first LAs, second LAs, third LAs, rotation...and I have an extra... maybe I will build a 2 speed gearbox activated by an autovalve with the extra function, thanks to the subtractor and the only motor for trasmision I will do it.

The hard part is finished, the only things I have to do now are the dipper, the autovalve, the bodyframe and think about what I will do with the extra function that I have... I can say that it is modular, undercarriage, body, arm and dipper that in the end I discarted the XL motor, it works perfect with reduction and a normal motor, and that everything works better that I thought.

39624358.jpg

39095445.jpg

54437909.jpg

13075067.jpg

You can use the extra function to open close the 'bucket' (see photo below).

IMG_0259m.jpg

I have this function yet the autovalve will do this work with the two small pneumatycs so I called dipper to the bucket my fail :cry_sad:. I have 8 functions but I only really need 7... any suggestions... Another great thing I though was that I could change the entire arm of the front shovel for a normal one like in 8043 and I will have two big machines in one.

catcaterpillar5230excav.gif

My attemp A model.

imagescaqy5rsx.jpg

B model, I think more difficult because the arm is more big, maybe it will be to heavy for the linear actuators but letĀ“s will see...