Sign in to follow this  
jFox

Looking for a good castle set.

Hi all,

What started with a purchase of the Medieval Market Village turned into a small buying frenzy of smaller castle/kingdoms sets--Village Mill Raid, Drawbridge Defense, etc (and lots of trolls too default_classic.gif). I'd really like to get a castle to tie these together.

So far I'm looking at either the King's Castle (7946) or the King's Castle Siege (7094). I like the siege castle, but it looks like it's been out of print for longer, and a lot more expensive. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or recommendations on these two sets? Or maybe some other sets I should look at instead?

7946 is the better castle, though 7094 has a dragon in it !

what about the Kingdoms Joust ? 10223 ? it's a fine set.

Hi all,

What started with a purchase of the Medieval Market Village turned into a small buying frenzy of smaller castle/kingdoms sets--Village Mill Raid, Drawbridge Defense, etc (and lots of trolls too default_classic.gif). I'd really like to get a castle to tie these together.

So far I'm looking at either the King's Castle (7946) or the King's Castle Siege (7094). I like the siege castle, but it looks like it's been out of print for longer, and a lot more expensive. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or recommendations on these two sets? Or maybe some other sets I should look at instead?

I am not sure about the prices, but I guess you can get 2 or more 7946 for the price of 1 7094. The dragon and its age make it expensive. I got a new 7946 for 50 Euro.

If I were to choose between a full price 7946 and a Joust, I would get a joust. The building is more detailled and the figs are better. In comparison to the MMV, a normal castle might look underdetailled in comparison.

A good source for dragons are used trollships.

Edited by Wardancer

7946 would be your best option. As already mentioned it will probably cost a lot less and in my opinion is a better castle. 7094 is a large and reasonably impressive structure but from an architectural standpoint it is somewhat lacking, for example the open kings tower is poorly designed. In contrast 7946 has an enclosed kings tower (although open at the back) and a proper gatehouse. The dragon in 7094 is a major plus but could be sourced separately. The Joust would be a worthy alternative but its not a proper enclosed castle so it really depends on what you are looking for.

I agree with most of the posts above, 7946 is much nicer (aside from missing out on a dragon). I think it's a toss up between that or the joust.

My son has both of these sets and here are my thoughts. King's Castle (7946) is the nicer looking castle of the two. King's Castle Siege (7094) is noticeably bigger/taller than the other but it's design is not as appealing to the eyes. The other thing 7094 has going for it is the dragon. If I had to have pick from the two, I would have to go with 7094.

7946 would be your best option. As already mentioned it will probably cost a lot less and in my opinion is a better castle. 7094 is a large and reasonably impressive structure but from an architectural standpoint it is somewhat lacking, for example the open kings tower is poorly designed. In contrast 7946 has an enclosed kings tower (although open at the back) and a proper gatehouse. The dragon in 7094 is a major plus but could be sourced separately. The Joust would be a worthy alternative but its not a proper enclosed castle so it really depends on what you are looking for.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'm going to go this option and get the 7946. With the difference in price I can get a dragon separately and then some. And I do like the look of that joust set; it seems like it would be a good expansion to the castle.