Piranha

Original Castle or LOTR?

Castle vs LOTR  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Which theme do you like better?

• Original Castle Themes
    • LOTR
    • I like both of them equally
  2. 2. What would you like to see in the future?

• A return of original Castle themes
    • More LOTR
    • Niether, a new historical theme

Now that we have seen pictures that give us a pretty good feel for the new LOTR sets, I think it would be a good time to discuss which theme type we prefer.

Do you like TLG's classic original Castle themes such as; Kingdoms, Fantasy Era, etc or do you prefer the new licensed LOTR theme?

What do you want to see in the future? A return of the original castle themes? More LOTR? Or perhaps a new historic theme like Western, Greeks etc?

:classic:

Ahh, finally, an official poll. :sweet: Closest to a definite popular answer one can get. I voted for LOTR, simply because the detail, better molds for seriously needed objects, and there's a lot more to Lord of the Rings than the repetitively-styled 'classic' castle waves.

I sorta wanted to vote for LotR but theirs just something about classic yellow minifigs and those lame rounded swords :sweet: .

I would like to see a Western theme though.

-The_Creator

Edited by The_Creator

I rather schizophrenically voted for a) original Castle as my preferred theme but b) for more LotR in the future.

I prefer Castle because of

1) a larger "universe" than the LotR sets (understandibly, since its 24 years of Castle vs 1 wave of LotR)

2) yellow figs

3) the genericness of the themes, vs the (admittedly subjective) somewhat constraining LotR theme

But Im glad TLG took tho opportunity to make LotR sets - it just had to be done - and I hope the theme gets a decent (at least three-year) run. Plus I agree that its going to be a bonanza for new parts and prints.

Edited by Ardelon

I can't honestly answer this until I build and have LotR sets in hand. See the new parts/colors that will come out of the theme. New minifigs and accessories. Sure, we know what the sets will look like, but we don't know how they break down. For now, I'll compare them to Kingdoms. I completely prefer Castle to LotR.

I had to vote for LOTR and more LOTR!

The only reason I ever got into buying castle related sets was to try to make custom LOTR LEGO. The closest LEGO ever got to LOTR (before the official license) was the Fantasy Era theme. Now, I can honestly say I will never buy a single Castle themed set after LOTRis over. Also, the longer the theme lasts, the more LEGO will release, and the happier I will be!

I voted for Original Castle and a return of original castle themes. The classic castle sets (and I use that term to collectively refer to the older sets, not the CC sets themselves) have all the bright colors I love about LEGO minifigs and the lack of a defined universe and storyline which allows for more MOCing possibilities. The sets themselves really don't matter that much to me, since I'd end up tearing them apart for MOCs if I bought them. I'd love to see those old factions return combining the higher level of detail and the bright colors. Imagine the Black Falcon Knight of the Joust, but with highlights of bright blue instead of black. (though, to be honest, I wouldn't mind one bit if TLG returned to the simplistic prints, especially for faces) And maybe lose the breastplate piece; never did like the bulkiness of it.

I rather schizophrenically voted for a) original Castle as my preferred theme but b) for more LotR in the future.

I prefer Castle because of

1) a larger "universe" than the LotR sets (understandibly, since its 24 years of Castle vs 1 wave of LotR)

2) yellow figs

3) the genericness of the themes, vs the (admittedly subjective) somewhat constraining LotR theme

But Im glad TLG took tho opportunity to make LotR sets - it just had to be done - and I hope the theme gets a decent (at least three-year) run. Plus I agree that its going to be a bonanza for new parts and prints.

agree with you in every single point.

specially in the topic of time, see what happened to Pirates of the caribbean, a clone army of Sparrows minifigs, and then an interruption of the collection :hmpf_bad:

I voted for LOTR and then a new theme. Each year I hope Lego makes a castle theme based around China, none of that Ninja business. :wink:

I think i'll hold back from voting until I actually get my hands on some LOTR sets..

Although I will no doubt be switching all their fleshie heads into yellows!

Lord of the Rings all the way.

Castle, you either stay away or move in closely and keep your hands off my new favorite theme. :tongue:

I prefer LOTR because...

1) It is an amazing trilogy and to me, they're the best stories and movies to have ever been made. Now finally, we can accurately recreate the scenes with the great figures while collecting the sets in general. (As for me)

2) Flesh minifigs... I can't think of any time I didn't prefer flesh over yellow, the color just seems far better looking to me and I don't want to send soldiers who suffer from jaundice into battle. Well, only in original themes or those that I made up, they can... :tongue:

3) The fantastic details we're getting on both the figures and the sets. Previously, most sets were 'meh' or 'ok' (or good after all), but this time they nailed the sets perfectly. They easily top all other castle sets imo.

4) No more of those lame, rounded swords... really, you're not going to kill many orcs with a blunt sword! :laugh:

5) Great new pieces (molds) and printings on the figures. The LOTR figures all feature amazing details, something I couldn't see happening for most normal castle figures.

6) As for LEGO, I prefer to recreate things from movies or already existing 'universes'... especially things from my favorite movies and such.

Just some of my opinions,

and all of this was thought of along with the fact that I grew up with the old castle themes. Regardless of that, I still prefer LOTR for 100%...

agree with you in every single point.

specially in the topic of time, see what happened to Pirates of the caribbean, a clone army of Sparrows minifigs, and then an interruption of the collection

Where are you seeing a clone army in the LOTR theme other than the generic figures?

The only main characters that appear in multiple LOTR sets in exactly the same outfits are Gimli and Aragorn...

~ General Magma

Edited by General Magma

Hmm now this is tricky. I certanly would like to see more LOTR sets but I will always have memories of playing with my 6090 royal knights castle. :cry_happy:

I'd have to pick LOTR. Ever since I saw the movie in the early 2000's, I've wanted Lego sets. These sets are (my opinion) the greatest sets I've ever seen. Sure, Kingdoms and Knight's Kingdom was nice, but I like Licenses themed things better. Plus, Lego pulled them off so well.

I wish there were a "no preference" option. I love LEGO's original castle themes, and was sad to see Kingdoms go. But at the same time I realize that the LotR sets are amazing, and feature some of the best castles ever featured in LEGO sets (for instance, I believe the Helm's Deep set is the first castle LEGO's done which has both outer and inner walls). And see a future where, like with the Star Wars and Space themes, a few years of LotR could help to improve the quality of their Castle sets when they start with original Castle themes again (and I have no doubt that they will, either when LotR ends or when it proves itself a success that is not threatened by other Castle themes alongside it).

I didn't vote in the poll because my answers would be as follow:

Which theme do you like better?

I like both original castle themes and LOTR equally well.

What would you like to see in the future?

I would like to see more LOTR sets (2-3 years) followed by a return to original castle sets.

I voted for 'Original Lego Castle Theme' as any license has to push prices up, I buy sets for parts so am prejudiced! To be honest I find the whole 'LOTR universe' boring, the books were tiresome, and the films rely on computer generated effects to mask the self indulgent narrative of the source material. Of course I welcome new parts, but so far these seem to be focused on specific minifigs (or weapons, yawn!) and a new horse.

I wish there were a "no preference" option. I love LEGO's original castle themes, and was sad to see Kingdoms go. But at the same time I realize that the LotR sets are amazing, and feature some of the best castles ever featured in LEGO sets (for instance, I believe the Helm's Deep set is the first castle LEGO's done which has both outer and inner walls). And see a future where, like with the Star Wars and Space themes, a few years of LotR could help to improve the quality of their Castle sets when they start with original Castle themes again (and I have no doubt that they will, either when LotR ends or when it proves itself a success that is not threatened by other Castle themes alongside it).

If you have no preference, don't vote (yet). :wink:

And I would say the King's Mountains Fortress had an outer wall (which looks pretty lame, sure, but it's good enough to protect a crossbowman!) around an inner keep.

To add my two cents to CallMePieOrDie's interesting suggestion that we might see a turning point as far as parts go, I could see TLG retiring the chrome longsword, and maybe the short sword, in favor of the highland sword. But I don't think the gladius will replace the short sword, since it's kind of specialized – good enough for Antique or Dark Age settings, when swords didn't have prominent cross guards, but not for stereotyical medieval settings.

Also, I'd say the helmets won't be replaced either, since they are generic and fit the medieval setting wonderfully. We haven't seen any generic helmets in LotR yet, and I don't think we will, since all the LotR helmets are pretty stylized.

Edited by Ardelon

I'm voting Classic Castle. (Wait, can I vote classic Pirates? ::pirate::)

Classic themes are more open-ended, and they're cheaper as well. Emphasis on cheaper. Other lesser factors are compromised set designs, and less enthusiasm for fleshie figs.

I also want to voice an opposition to the old rounded sword mold criticism. I think most of the newer sword and weapon models are too large and bulky for my taste. Also, with the old sword, you can stick all 3 sides of the hilt area into a hollow stud, and that means some interesting construction possibilities. I think that Lego sometimes forgets about this aspect when making certain new molds.

Original Castle, by far, is the best. But, I am looking forward to LOTR.

If LOTR sells good, I just hope that LEGO doesn't complete forget about Original Castle.

I think its far to early to ask this question, you are comparing a single wave of LOTR sets to years and numerous sub-themes of Lego castle. I'm very excited about LOTR and I think it will be a great theme but I can't see how it will usurp Lego Castle for me any time soon. I prefer not to compare them, lets celebrate the fact that we have a rich and varied history of Lego castle and the excitement of LOTR to come.

I voted that I prefer Classic Castle theme, but would like to see more LOTR. This is because I really can't look past the old, 80s CC sets- the generic smiley face combined with the modular castles, lack of 'good' and 'bad' guys, multiple castles and much narrower variety of available parts make this era both the best we've had so far but simultaneously un-re-visitable (is that a word :laugh:) Therefore I'd prefer to accept what is past is past and move onto these fantastic LOTR sets and see TLG explore more of such a great fantasy world.

I think a lot really depends on what TLG decides to _do_ with the LOTR line. The kits announced so far are pretty much giving it the Harry Potter treatment - lots of great minifigures but not a lot of sets that make any sense _without_ minifigures. I'm really holding out for more of the Star Wars treatment (UCS line, mini and micro scale builds in addition to mini-figure play sets and battle packs). There's so much to the LOTR that could make great sets that have nothing to do with mini-figures. I've got a two foot tall pair of Argonath statues monopolizing my desk at the moment. I've done micro builds of Orthanc and Helm's Deep and am working on Minas Tirith. I'd love to have a UCS-sized Barad Dur or Black Gate that looks good sitting next to my Taj Mahal, Tower Bridge and Super Star Destroyer. Minifigure play sets are fine (and I'll buy them all, I already know that) but Middle Earth is just such a fantastic world filled with building and sculpting opportunities that I'm going to be terribly disappointed if all TLG does is revisit old Castle and Kingdoms ideas with LOTR names, minifigures and loosely recognizable settings.

On the other hand, the castle line (and its descendants) was all about the figures and the fortifications and I think that's GREAT. It was exactly what it needed to be nothing more and nothing less. Castles were for _my_ imagination to run wild in a world _I_ created, not to recreate a world of someone else's imagination.

I guess I'm saying that, unless TLG comes out with LOTR UCS kits and LOTR "Architecture-style" kits, I'd have to give the edge to the castle line - even in the days of bright yellow bricks and simple boxes pretending to be battlements, the castle line never failed to live up to my expectations.

What would you like to see in the future?

I would like to see more LOTR sets (2-3 years) followed by a return to original castle sets.

Exactly my thought on Question #2. I definitely prefer Classic Castle over LotR because it gave you more chance to explore and be creative, where in LotR everything is based off something. Classic Castle wins, no doubt about it.

I too will sit on the fence, I :wub: Kingdoms but also I feel the designs in LOTR is just fantastic especially when a lot of the structures are brick-built. :sweet:

Personally I would like to see new historic themes but also the return of Kingdoms.....still more Lego could release there. :sweet: